Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The iCloud iOS, Lion Q&A thread

The iCloud iOS, Lion Q&A thread
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2011, 04:51 PM

Lots of new stuff being thrown around at WWDC, and lots of questions, some of which seem to have answers but then raise more questions and some that the answers seem fairly obtuse. I thought it might be a useful thread to post specific questions that members may be able to answer, even if with a no one knows. So here goes:

Lion, what happens if you need to erase you hard drive. Are we looking at a 10.6 reinstall followed by Lion from the app store?

iTunes match. Great if iTunes has your music. What happens to your content that is not available on the store (small indie stuff, rarities etc. It seems that this won't be synced at the moment?

Mobile me is dead but the me.com email lives on. Will new iCloud subscribers get a me.com address or is there no email for new people from here on in?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2011, 05:05 PM

I just asked our Apple rep in regards to Lion. I'm going to see if Apple can actually still provide an installer DVD. I would assume they can considering they'll probably make a DVD or USB stick for new systems sold. I'll post here once I find out.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2011, 05:50 PM

It's pretty clear that there has to be some version of OS X on a media (DVD, stick), even if it's just an emergency boot system so that a new install can be done from the App Store.

There are many scenarios where you need a fresh install, Apple will have a solution for that.

It's already confirmed that Lion will create a emergency boot volume, maybe one can even burn that to a DVD.

-t

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2011, 05:53 PM

Lion, what happens if you need to erase you hard drive. Are we looking at a 10.6 reinstall followed by Lion from the app store?
There's a recovery partition created in the Lion install process. You can boot from it, erase your Lion partition and reinstall Lion.

iTunes match. Great if iTunes has your music. What happens to your content that is not available on the store (small indie stuff, rarities etc. It seems that this won't be synced at the moment?
Did you not watch the keynote or look at Apple's site? Music not in Apple's catalog will be uploaded to the cloud. That's the only thing uploaded to the cloud. Everything else will come directly from Apple's catalog, no uploading needed.

Mobile me is dead but the me.com email lives on. Will new iCloud subscribers get a me.com address or is there no email for new people from here on in?
Again, did you not watch the keynote or look at Apple's site? All iCloud users will have a me.com email address.
Vandelay Industries

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2011, 06:03 PM

Seems strange that they are deprecating MobileMe but still continuing with the me.com email address. Figured they would have started using icloud.com addresses going forward.

OAW

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Seems strange that they are deprecating MobileMe but still continuing with the me.com email address.
Apple did not say anything regarding dropping MobileMe features. They only said that MobileMe will become iCloud. Apple is known for NOT giving all information upfront.

Just wait and relax.

-t

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2011, 06:25 PM

When do you think we'll get expanded definitions of all of those features on that splash page of additional iOS 5 features?

I'm interested in learning exactly what "smart playlist sync from itunes" means.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2011, 06:34 PM

^^^^^

I'm interested in this as well. Apparently right now you can configure your iOS device to automatically download iTunes music (along with apps and books) purchased on your laptop or another iOS device. That's cool because now when I buy a new album on my laptop it'll automatically show up on both my iPhone and my wife's without having to sync them both separately over the USB cable. That'll be a godsend IMO. But my question is .... will these new tracks automatically show up in the playlists that I have setup on my laptop? The vast majority of the playlists I use are Smart Playlists so it'll be interesting to see if newly downloaded tracks make their way into the proper ones on my iPhone.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2011, 06:37 PM

I've been waiting for this since iTunes 7 was released. And while I really ought to know better ... hope does spring eternal. Can anyone who's seen the latest version of iOS 5 say whether or not the iPod app finally has the capability to browse the library by Album Artist?

OAW

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
There's a recovery partition created in the Lion install process. You can boot from it, erase your Lion partition and reinstall Lion.
And if the partition table becomes corrupted, damaged, or I buy a new HDD, how does that help me?

Cold Warrior
Jun 7, 2011, 07:42 PM

The lion installer pkg contains a dmg. When burned using disk utility, it'll create the usual install DVD.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The lion installer pkg contains a dmg. When burned using disk utility, it'll create the usual install DVD.
Oh goody.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2011, 08:51 PM

Seems that, as it stands at the moment, if you've paid to renew your MobileMe account in the last few days (which is now free), Apple will be keeping your money until "sometime in the Fall" before refunds are given.

Oh and Apple's advice for if you want a refund now? Cancel your account.

Brilliant.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2011, 09:08 PM

^^^^^

I'm interested in this as well. Apparently right now you can configure your iOS device to automatically download iTunes music (along with apps and books) purchased on your laptop or another iOS device. That's cool because now when I buy a new album on my laptop it'll automatically show up on both my iPhone and my wife's without having to sync them both separately over the USB cable. That'll be a godsend IMO. But my question is .... will these new tracks automatically show up in the playlists that I have setup on my laptop? The vast majority of the playlists I use are Smart Playlists so it'll be interesting to see if newly downloaded tracks make their way into the proper ones on my iPhone.

OAW
Just tried out this feature. Tracks downloaded from the cloud most definitely end up in the right Smart Playlists.

OAW

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Apple did not say anything regarding dropping MobileMe features. They only said that MobileMe will become iCloud. Apple is known for NOT giving all information upfront.

Just wait and relax.

-t
Actually the slides from the event indicate that @me.com will still be the email domain name you'll get with iCloud.
2:28PM Or, at least usage of these three apps will be free...

2:27PM iCloud will be free!

2:27PM MobileMe used to cost $99 annually. "As of today this product ceases to exist."

2:27PM "We build products that we use too, and we just don't want ads."

2:27PM "No ads" Steve just confirmed.

2:27PM "Mail was in the best shape of all, but it's even better." Get an @me.com account and all your messages are sync'd and pushed across.

2:26PM We're still well within the capabilities of other mobile operating systems, but we hang on, we still have a way to go.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
Seems that, as it stands at the moment, if you've paid to renew your MobileMe account in the last few days (which is now free), Apple will be keeping your money until "sometime in the Fall" before refunds are given.

Oh and Apple's advice for if you want a refund now? Cancel your account.

Brilliant.
Uhm, what's the fuss: if you paid two days ago, you'll still get one year of service, exactly what you paid for.

-t

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2011, 09:57 PM

Uhm, what's the fuss: if you paid two days ago, you'll still get one year of service, exactly what you paid for.

-t
I presume you're intentionally being a dick.

I suspected Apple were going to make iCloud (and email addresses) free to match Google, and fully planned on removing my CC details from my MobileMe account before they took their money on June 3rd. Unfortunately they took it a day early and caught me unawares. Had I managed that I'd still have my money AND my MobileMe account.

But, ah well, after years of paying Apple for essentially just an email address, I'm taking Apple's advice and cancelling my long-standing .me account just to get my money back.

Ironic that after paying all these years I have to cancel it now it's "free", but if that's what it takes...

Surprisingly it wasn't as difficult as I'd imagined to change all of the accounts that link to my .me address over to my gmail addy. Only took about 1/2 an hour.

Well done, Apple! Now gimme my money back, damnit!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2011, 10:01 PM

You've paid for MobileMe for all these years and now you're so angry that it's going free again that you're canceling your account and presumably losing your email address to prove a point about how angry you are at Apple?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
You've paid for MobileMe for all these years and now you're so angry that it's going free again that you're canceling your account and presumably losing your email address to prove a point about how angry you are at Apple?
No, I'm trying to get my $120 back now, rather than let Apple keep it for 3 or 4 months.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
I presume you're intentionally being a dick.
Actually, I tried to be a weiner.

-t

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2011, 03:45 AM

Well I ditched the .mac/.me email address I've been using for the last nine years and got my money back.

Amazingly, it's the very same people who insist they can't give you a refund until "the fall" who actually do give you a refund immediately when you close your account. And they do it quickly and happily. No questions asked.

Apple have lost me on this one. Makes no sense at all. I imagine they'll have to fix this over the next few days/weeks.

OreoCookie
Jun 8, 2011, 05:11 AM

@Face Ache
I don't get it, what's so bad about getting your refund later? Now you've lost your e-mail address … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
@Face Ache
I don't get it, what's so bad about getting your refund later? Now you've lost your e-mail address … 
Three months later?! When they took my money three days before making it free?

And it turns out changing my primary email address wasn't such a big deal. I should have moved to (the free) gmail years ago.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2011, 02:14 PM

Dude rationalizing with Face Ache is impossible. Everyone knows this.

As for the @me.com email, I hope I can still use @mac.com because that sounds way more awesome. I'm gonna route all my old gmail accounts through it and just have the one account on my phone. It's too bad they didn't own i.com though that would probably confuse people. me.com is probably one of the best ideas... though it does remind me of my documents, my pictures, etc. Kinda makes you sound like a narcissist.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I don't think "rationalizing" means quite what you think it does.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 02:46 PM

No. He's making perfect sense.
It's you North American boys who ain't rational.

Kinda makes you sound like a narcissist.
But you are a narcissist, so what's the problem?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2011, 03:12 PM

As for the @me.com email, I hope I can still use @mac.com because that sounds way more awesome.
Same here. I never did switch over to the @me.com address. My @mac.com email was way too established.

OAW

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2011, 03:20 PM

Actually, I tried to be a weiner.

-t
Doesn't that belong in the growing shorts thread?

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2011, 06:08 PM

Same here. I never did switch over to the @me.com address. My @mac.com email was way too established.

OAW
From Information about the MobileMe transition
When you sign up for iCloud, you'll be able to keep your me.com or mac.com email address and move your MobileMe mail, contacts, calendars, and bookmarks to the new service.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2011, 12:12 AM

Can we make our .me address a .mac address? I thought you could use either and it would "just work TM"

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2011, 01:13 AM

You've never been able to turn a .me address into a .Mac address.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2011, 01:06 PM

Only iTools and .Mac members have a mac.com email.
Vandelay Industries

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2011, 04:16 PM

Who you callin' a iTool, punk!?

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2011, 05:36 PM

Oh, that's lame ass. Hopefully they reopen that. I'd MUCH rather have an @mac.com addy than an @me.com addy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules