Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > WSJ: iPhone 5 release on Oct. 4

WSJ: iPhone 5 release on Oct. 4
Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2011, 12:35 PM

Apple's Next Event to Be Held on October 4, Starring Its New CEO - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD

Tuesday, Oct. 4.

That’s the day Apple is currently expected to hold its next big media event, according to sources close to the situation, where the tech giant will unveil the next iteration of its popular iPhone.

I'm not in a big rush to get the iPhone 5 since I only recently got a subsidized iPhone 4, but my GF's 3G is slow and falling apart. So we'll have to see just how big of an upgrade it is. If it is a big upgrade then I might be tempted to get the 5 at the full unsubsidized price, and pass my 4 down to her.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2011, 12:49 PM

Or it might be so awesome, that she'll take her 3G and your 4, sell them and pay for the 5 and the better part of a year of cell service.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Or it might be so awesome, that she'll take her 3G and your 4, sell them and pay for the 5 and the better part of a year of cell service.
Heh. Unlikely. She's not a phone geek like some of us. The main problem with the 3G is that it's falling apart. She doesn't even have a data plan, and doesn't want one either.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
The main problem with the 3G is that it's falling apart.

Just duck it.

stevyo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2011, 12:52 AM

HAHA Subego This forum needs a like button

stevyo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2011, 12:58 AM

I think it will be announced and available Oct 15th

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2011, 02:05 AM

If it's just an iPhone 4 with an A5 and better voice recognition I'll sit out for the iPhone 5. If it's actually worthwhile, I'll sell my iPhone 4 and upgrade.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2011, 04:23 PM

The rumor mill has really gone into overdrive this cycle. It's been fun to watch as everyone was despondent yesterday based on the notion that there would be no redesigned iPhone 5, with many people outright guaranteeing there wouldn't be, to nearly full reversal based on today's Sprint-iPhone 5 rumor. Fun stuff.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2011, 04:37 PM

I'd like an iPhone that's cheap enough to be free when I upgrade. :/
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2011, 05:12 PM

It's rumored that the 3GS may be kept around another cycle as a subsidized freebie, then the N90 8 GB iP4 for $99 subsidized. I don't know if that's what you're looking for. I'm personally resolutely never going to buy another subsidized iPhone unless it's GSM capable and from a carrier that will eventually honor an unlock request. AT&T Wireless won't have me as a customer ever again the day I upgrade from my 3GS because of their stupidity on that issue alone.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2011, 01:54 AM

Heh. I didn't tell her of my potential plan, but it seems my GF has bought into the hype. She wants the iPhone 5/4S to be good, so I'll buy one and give her my 4.

However, I suspect I won't be overcome with temptation for that 5/4S, and may just wait until 2012. I can actually partially claim phones as an expense, but somehow I'm just not buying into the hype... yet. We shall see.

What I'd really like to see is a Canadian Amazon Kindle Fire, with a decent mail reader and browser, for $199.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Heh. I didn't tell her of my potential plan, but it seems my GF has bought into the hype. She wants the iPhone 5/4S to be good, so I'll buy one and give her my 4.

However, I suspect I won't be overcome with temptation for that 5/4S, and may just wait until 2012. I can actually partially claim phones as an expense, but somehow I'm just not buying into the hype... yet. We shall see.

What I'd really like to see is a Canadian Amazon Kindle Fire, with a decent mail reader and browser, for $199.
I also hope and cross my fingers so today's announcement is worth the Apple pricetag.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2011, 12:19 PM

I just need a new iPhone, my old one does weird things. GPS is off by about 1000ft, Wifi doesn't work, text messages sometimes arrive hours late...

So I don't really care if it's 4S or 5, just as long as it has the guts upgraded. But 5 would be nice with a new body...
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Forum Links
Forum Rules