Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > If we see a new Mac Pro next year...

If we see a new Mac Pro next year...
Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2011, 07:14 AM

Hi everyone,

I currently have a Early 2008 Mac Pro, which I have upgraded the RAM and put in a 256GB SSD.

I am looking at getting a new video card as well - at the moment this would be the over-priced ATI 5780, as we know that this will work fine in a 2008 machine.

However, and I appreciate that nobody has a crystal ball (that works, at least), IF we see a new Mac Pro next year, what do you think the chances are that the new card will a) be available separately and b) work in a 2008 Mac Pro? I was wondering if there could be something in the new technology that we know about that could mean the card definitely wouldn't work because of xyz reasons.

I can hang on for a new card if we think it will work, but don't want to pass up on the 5870 if that is the last card that would would in my 2008 machine.

As always, many thanks,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2011, 08:15 AM

I have a 2006 MacPro 1,1 and the 5770 works fine in it (my problem lies with having a 32-bit EFI, you don't have that problem). I'd say whatever Apple includes would work in your MacPro but I bet the MacPro line is DOA. My MacPro will be replaced by a Mac Mini in a few years as they've caught up to the performance of my MacPro.

Matthew Attoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2011, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the reply, cgc.

Has anyone had any experience of using cards like this in their Mac Pro:

New AMD Radeon HD 6870 2GB Video Card for Apple Mac Pro 2008-2010 ATI 5870 | eBay

Just wondering if there would be any implications. Does 10.6.8 and 10.7.2 even have drivers for this card?

Thanks again,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2011, 11:41 AM

BareFeats.com usually tests a fair number of MP graphics cards. His reviews may give you some insight into what you should do.

The 5770 is good value right now, and the 5870 can be stronger but it depends on your application needs. If you have a graphics-demanding main app you might get some ideas from specific forums for that app.

HTH

-Allen

Halfloaf
Nov 12, 2011, 01:02 PM

I would investigate application requirements and possible known issues before buying a card. I bought my Mac Pro with a nvidia 8800GT only to find early versions on Maya would cause display issues with viewports. Not so if I'd gone with a standard ATI.
2012 Macbook Pro 13" 8GB Ram 250GB SSD
2010 5,1 Dual 2.93 Ghz 6 core Mac Pro 48GB Ram 250GB SD, 2x 1Tb HD, 1x 320GB HD, GTX970 Black Edition

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2011, 02:13 PM

I doubt Apple would immediately discontinue the 5870 if they upgrade or even discontinue the Mac Pro.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Nov 13, 2011, 12:49 PM

Perhaps you all know this, but in case not: the 5870 is a significantly stronger card than the 6870 in all respects. The 5870 successor is the 6970.

Forum Links
Forum Rules