Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can't RESET PRAM ... Help!

Can't RESET PRAM ... Help!
VerdeSpider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2001, 10:54 AM

I have a TiPB 500/20/512 ... I am trying to reset the PRAM but I get no response - it just boots up normally. I don't have the CapsLock on and I tried rebuilding the Desktop(successfully) but made no difference. I also reset the Memory Manager with no effect.

...any Ideas???

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 21, 2001, 01:45 PM

Well rebuilding the desktop is a totally different issue.

Do you mean resetting the Power Manager? (The memory manager is part of the CPU, and is not user-accesible). Did you try holding the reset button for 10 seconds, with the machine off, instead of just briefly pressing it?

You didn't pdate your firmware and turn on the firmware security, did you? That would prevent the PRAM from resetting.

If all else fails, shut down, unplug the AC adapter, remove the battery, and let the machine sit there for overnight. That should be plenty of time for the backup battery to die, and reset the PRAM.

tooki

VerdeSpider  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2001, 01:52 PM

YOU GOT IT!!!

Yeah - I turned on the security in the firmware to prevent bootup from CD. Wanted some type of protection in case someone walks off with this thing!

Do I just have to turn off the secuity now to reset the PRAM or am I totally messed up now?

Thanks for you help - can't wait for more native OSX applications so I can switch over...

-Charles

VerdeSpider  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2001, 01:55 PM

...also - what does holding the powerbutton down for 10 seconds while the machine is off accomplish?

i reset the power manager by holding the reset button on the back for 10 seconds w/ battery out & no power connected.

thanks again...

Forum Links
Forum Rules