Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Report: slightly larger battery for 'next iPhone' seen

Report: slightly larger battery for 'next iPhone' seen
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 9, 2012, 10:59 PM

One of the factors that kept an LTE "4G" radio out of the iPhone 4S was the compromise of the battery-draining next-generation cellular data transceiver. As many "4G" phone owners know, the advanced technology requires a lot of power, even when not in active use. Purported next-iPhone batteries seen in photos and sporting slightly higher specifications than existing iPhone batteries may, if accurate, suggest that Apple has overcome the LTE issue with a modest compromise.

The new batteries, shown in photos on 9to5Mac, feature a capacity of 1440mAh, a new voltage of 3.8 and a watts-per-hour measurement of 5.45wHr, all proportional increases from the current iPhone 4S battery specs of 1430mAh, 3.7 volts and 5.3wHr. The modestly-revised battery hints that Apple may have settled on a very recent Qualcomm chip that offers a multi-band LTE radio with a much lower energy draw than existing chipsets, and may also have found ways to cut power consumption in other areas, such as improving the efficiency of its main processor, which is expected to be a new in-house chip. It is also possible that the battery is a replica, or a prototype battery for testing, a digitally altered image of another phone's battery or a model that was considered but will not end up being used for one reason or another. The authenticity of the photos has not been verified, but Apple has been seen as being eager to improve the feature set of each successive iPhone without making it thicker, forcing the company to do more with the same (or smaller) interior dimensions. The next iPhone is rumored to be slightly longer but also thinner than the current model, making economy of battery size a priority. The next iPhone model has been rumored to be in the works for a mid-September launch, but there has not yet been any official word from Apple. The iPhone has traditionally been updated roughly once a year, but this year's model is speculated to bring a substantial design change along with many new features. Apple plans on releasing iOS 6, which will likely be the default OS on the next iPhone, sometime this fall -- and may even update some models of iPod as the company prepares its lineup for the holiday season. [via 9to5Mac]

blahblahbber
Banned
Aug 10, 2012, 02:48 AM

i don't see this new iphone being worth waiting for when you have the Pureview 808 cleaning house for all those who love what the digital age can offer. Ready to pull the trigger on one myself. There are films being made with this phone, and now that Nokia got hijacked by Microsoft, expect Windows 8 phone to be something special. (hope not)

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2012, 03:33 PM

The Nokia Pure View is indeed amazing, a proper chip off the old N8 block. I keep one handy for the times I do not wish to carry my huge Galaxy Note.

By the way the new posting system is AWFUL!

I miss my negatives soooo much...

blahblahbber
Banned
Aug 11, 2012, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Arne_Saknussemm View Post
The Nokia Pure View is indeed amazing, a proper chip off the old N8 block. I keep one handy for the times I do not wish to carry my huge Galaxy Note.
By the way the new posting system is AWFUL!
I miss my negatives soooo much...
Awful indeed... seriously

Forum Links
Forum Rules