Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Java SE 7 Update 6 brings SE7 to OS X

Java SE 7 Update 6 brings SE7 to OS X
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 14, 2012, 01:11 PM

Oracle has released a collection of new Java updates for OS X. The most important of these is Java SE 7 Update 6, which brings SE 7 to OS X for the first time. Matching an updated Java Runtime Environment is a new Java Development Kit, plus the JavaFX 2.2 rich client platform and JavaFX Scene Builder.

Oracle is now primarily responsible for maintaining Java on Macs. Until late 2010 Apple would normally spin off its own Java releases, but the result was that Java for OS X was often behind counterparts for Windows and Linux, creating unnecessary speed and security issues. At one point the recent Flashback series of Trojans exploited Apple's slow pace in fixing Java vulnerabilities. For those who need it, Apple is still maintaining the Mac edition of Java SE 6.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2012, 04:01 PM

Can we ditch the Java preferences app in the utilities folder? With the Java SE 7 Update 6 installed, Java has a button in the control panel.

BTW, if you go to www.java.com it still tells you to that Apple maintains Mac Java and to use software update.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2012, 08:51 PM

Chrome is not compatible with the new Java. Safari and Firefox are.
45/47

Mr645
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2012, 03:44 AM

hmm, I get an error trying to install "Error Reading Package" Java Script Error"

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2012, 04:29 PM

What model Mac are you trying to install Java on? I noticed that the new Java is 64 bit only. That's why Chrome won't run it, Chrome is not a 64 bit app, Safari and Firefox are.
45/47

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2012, 06:13 PM

Is Oracle releasing Java for OS X directly now? It used to always be through Apple's software update service.

Of course, all I care about is Java 6 for PPC, which I doubt I'll ever find.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

P
Aug 19, 2012, 11:43 PM

Yes, Apple has decided to turn over support of Java to Oracle, the same way it works on Windows. Basically, Apple doesn't want to keep releasing security updates for old versions of Java, and the previous argument for doing it themselves (integration with OS X interface) is deemed less important.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2012, 05:02 AM

I thought it was more a case of Apple has given up releasing Java updates and Oracle has decided to take up the slack.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2012, 06:55 AM

Am I correct in concluding the Oracle release is 64bit only and won't run on 32bit systems, Intel or PPC?
45/47

P
Aug 20, 2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I thought it was more a case of Apple has given up releasing Java updates and Oracle has decided to take up the slack.
Well, they initiated the switchover, and I'm sure Oracle would have been happier to let Apple handle it, but officially it was a mutual agreement.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Mr645
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2012, 08:33 AM

I am trying on a PowerMac G5, 2x 2.5 running 10.5.8

I am pretty sure that's a 64 bit machine

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2012, 08:57 AM

I believe Java SE 7 update 6 is for Intel based Macs only
45/47

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2012, 06:04 PM

There WAS going to be a release of Java 6 for PowerPC. Apple pulled the plug on it at the last minute.

The OpenJRE project doesn't seem to be very active, either. I know I'm one of an ever-shrinking population of people who still use PowerPC Macs, but it still sure would be nice to get Java 6 on all my old Macs...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

P
Aug 22, 2012, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Am I correct in concluding the Oracle release is 64bit only and won't run on 32bit systems, Intel or PPC?
The Oracle release is 64-bit Intel only. While the PPC G5 is indeed a 64-bit CPU, it is not supported by this Java release.

There WAS going to be a release of Java 6 for PowerPC. Apple pulled the plug on it at the last minute.
They do that. There was going to be 64-bit Carbon as well, and that one they really pulled the plug at WWDC and were in listening mode. An uproar would have made them back down, but no uproar came.

Forum Links
Forum Rules