Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > New 'iPad mini' schematics emerge, are possibly genuine

New 'iPad mini' schematics emerge, are possibly genuine
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 15, 2012, 04:26 AM

A set of schematics that appeared last month -- purporting to be for the rumored iPad mini -- may be genuine, according to 9to5Mac. The latest information the site has received suggests that the device could take design cues from the iPod touch, while also sporting a much thinner side bezel in portrait mode. If true, it might suggest that Apple believes the device could be held in one hand in portrait mode by gripping it from the rear without the need for a purchase-point for a thumb.

The schematics also show the device incorporating an often-reported smaller dock connector, as well as two speaker ports on the end as with the iPad, rather than on the back. The tablet would also be just 7.3mm thick, and incorporate both front and rear cameras. As for the possibility of accidental touch inputs because of a thinner bezel, it is possible that Apple may be able to dull touch input in the vicinity of the bezel as needed. A rumor that surfaced in April pegged the iPad mini to sell between $249 and $299. The most successful 7-inch Android tablets to date have been the Amazon Kindle Fire and the Google Nexus 7, both of which are priced to sell at $199. An iPad mini, which would be slightly larger than the two devices, would be expected to slot in well under the $399 price point of the iPad 2 if it is to pose a serious challenge.

SockRolid
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2012, 08:35 AM

I'd still expect the bezel to be more or less the same width all around. An adult can probably "palm" (no pun intended) an iPad mini-sized device. But a kid would need to put at least one thumb on the front to grip it with one hand. And even kids' thumbs would need a wider bezel than the one shown.

Apple spends a lot of design effort on making their devices easy to use. Why force people to adjust their grip because their thumb obscures part of the screen (or worse, because their thumb taps a button or web link inadvertently)?

devopro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2012, 08:40 AM

Apple applied for a patent on e-paper/LCD system. Where you could toggle between a regular LCD display and change to an e-paper mode. Maybe this 7" is aimed more at books and games- perhaps the iPod touch replacement (the iPhone, iPad and nano, shuffle options make the current touch irrelevant).

Peter Bonte
Aug 18, 2012, 07:30 AM

If the bezel itself is also touch sensitive then the software could exclude the thumb on the front to grip it with one hand, i don't think it will be but there are different solutions to this problem.

prl99
Senior User
Aug 23, 2012, 06:59 PM

First of all, why are people calling them schematics? They are engineering drawings. Schematics are for electronic/electrical designs. If you go to https://developer.apple.com/resources/cases/ you can see all sorts of official Apple drawings meant for case manufacturers. They are heavily dimensioned and the ones you're showing are not. They also use arrows at the end of the dimension lines, which your drawings don't use. Yes, the drawings look similar but anyone with drawing software can dummy these up.

They may be real but they look nothing like Apple's drawings for case manufacturers, which I assume would be similar to those used for manufacturing.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2012, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by prl99 View Post
First of all, why are people calling them schematics? They are engineering drawings.
That is what schematics are.

The are electronic schematic diagrams (the most common usage of the term "schematic"), electrical schematic diagrams, and mechanical schematic diagrams.

Usage here is correct.

prl99
Senior User
Aug 24, 2012, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
That is what schematics are.
The are electronic schematic diagrams (the most common usage of the term "schematic"), electrical schematic diagrams, and mechanical schematic diagrams.
Usage here is correct.
I checked several dictionaries and schematics are "A presentation of the element-by-element relationship of all parts of a system." "A structural or procedural diagram, especially of an electrical or mechanical system." "A schematic diagram represents the elements of a system using abstract, graphic symbols rather than realistic pictures. A schematic usually omits all details that are not relevant to the information the schematic is intended to convey, and may add unrealistic elements that aid comprehension. " What I see in the article is a drawing showing the actual device, not something abstract.

I know we are prone to making up new words and word combinations all the time but I still consider the drawings I referenced on Apple's site to be engineering drawings.

Forum Links
Forum Rules