Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Review: Adonit Jot Touch pressure-sensitive stylus

Review: Adonit Jot Touch pressure-sensitive stylus
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 26, 2012, 04:37 PM

In the last year or so styluses seem to have gone from an afterthought for iPad owners to highly desirable, if still not quite essential. Some of it probably has to do with the growing number of illustration and notetaking apps, but I'll bet that the third-gen iPad's Retina display is a factor as well -- suddenly, art and writing looks good enough that precision matters. Whatever the cause, precision is the raison d'etre for the Adonit Jot series of styluses. The Jot Touch goes yet a step further than the rest, using Bluetooth to transmit pressure data and shortcut commands to apps. We'll test, though, if the product is genuinely handy or just a gimmick.

Sabon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2012, 08:42 AM

For ***most*** people a stylus is a waste of plastic or whatever it is made of. Only a few types of programs gain anything at all from a stylus. I would equate it to putting a tow hitch on every vehicle sold. Only a small amount of people actually tow anything with their vehicle so for most people it would be something added that they never use.

Having said that. If you are a artist that paints/draws that kind of thing, or you need to write your signature more than once, a stylus would definitely be desirable.

blahblahbber
Banned
Aug 27, 2012, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sabon View Post
For ***most*** people a stylus is a waste of plastic or whatever it is made of. Only a few types of programs gain anything at all from a stylus. I would equate it to putting a tow hitch on every vehicle sold. Only a small amount of people actually tow anything with their vehicle so for most people it would be something added that they never use.
Having said that. If you are a artist that paints/draws that kind of thing, or you need to write your signature more than once, a stylus would definitely be desirable.
I wonder if the 10 million Galaxy Notes sold have anything to do with this. Hmmmm Things that make you go Hmmmmmm..... That sure is a lot of potential doodlers, artists, signers, etc...... look for the unboxing event by Samsung in Germany on August 29th...

Sabon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2012, 03:10 PM

I'll tell you what. Do a poll six months (or even two weeks) after they get their device and see how many people haven't lost their stylus and really don't care.

Sabon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2012, 03:11 PM

That should be "have lost" not "haven't lost".

blahblahbber
Banned
Aug 27, 2012, 10:25 PM

I'll tell you what. Do a poll six months (or even two weeks) after they get their device and see how many people haven't lost their stylus and really don't care.
I am not saying they care or don't care, I am saying that there will be more use out of these niche products due to the sales.... which in turn means increasingly useful apps, and then so more demand and now you have an emerging ecosystem just for these little tag-a-long multi-purpose, cross-platform compatible stylus with built-in pens. nice ehhh?

Sabon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2012, 12:59 PM

Microsoft thought that was true for over ten years. Get how far that got stylus apps. They are only used in very few select jobs and the rest of the people either lost by accident or on purpose, those styluses.

blahblahbber
Banned
Aug 28, 2012, 01:33 PM

Microsoft thought that was true for over ten years. Get how far that got stylus apps. They are only used in very few select jobs and the rest of the people either lost by accident or on purpose, those styluses.
You can't expect Microsoft to succeed in everything or anything. Recent implementation of technologies have changed the landscape. Remember the Apple NEWTON?... Takes you back even further than 10yrs; Timing is everything, the phablet is now.... and touchscreens are around the corner for desktops in the mac line... the iPhone iOS and Mac OSX will eventually converge in usability to bring a unison experience across all platforms. OSX pours out with clues.

Sabon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2012, 11:46 AM

Look above and check to see if I said they were ever going to succeed at everything. Put words in your own mouth (fingers?), not mine.

It's plainly clear that for most people a style is worthless.

blahblahbber
Banned
Sep 2, 2012, 11:15 AM

Look above and check to see if I said they were ever going to succeed at everything. Put words in your own mouth (fingers?), not mine.
It's plainly clear that for most people a style is worthless.
Not making much sense here. YOU need to read your response again. Moving on....

Forum Links
Forum Rules