Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Survey: one in five Android users want new iPhone

Survey: one in five Android users want new iPhone
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 4, 2012, 08:00 PM

According to a survey by Techbargains.com, one in five users who identified as Android users plan on replacing their current handset with Apple's next iPhone. The survey population of 1,300 indicated that most smartphone customers are seeking longer battery life, a faster phone, and 4G LTE wireless connectivity. MicroSD, a common Android phone feature, was the least popular feature, behind a larger touchscreen.

Other details of the survey include a similar enthusiasm for the forthcoming "iPhone 5" as there was for the new iPad, but with a higher percentage of users saying that they wouldn't buy the iPhone and fewer undecided. More than half of the surveyed population have no specific timeframe of repurchase, but 10 percent said they will wait in line the day of release. Many current iPhone users are looking at buying the new model. A whopping 74 percent of iPhone 4 owners say they will purchase the new phone, as a large percentage of original purchasers are eligible for on-contract device replacement. A similar percentage, 71 percent, of iPhone 3GS users are looking at upgrading. Unexpectedly, 64 percent of iPhone 4S owners surveyed say they will purchase an iPhone 5. One in three BlackBerry owners, along with people who don't yet have a smartphone, will jump ship to Apple, according to the survey. Android phones had the highest loyalty, but with a surprisingly high 22 percent saying they will likely get the new Apple device. iPhone Predictions
Source: TechBargains August 2012 Apple Survey
by TechBargains.com, your best source for deals and coupon codes.

MadGoat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2012, 03:44 AM

1 in 5 are probably the ones with the "free" android phones. Those with flagship phones probably don't have any desire. Now 1 in 4 BB owners, that's interesting.

lkrupp
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2012, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by MadGoat View Post
1 in 5 are probably the ones with the "free" android phones. Those with flagship phones probably don't have any desire. Now 1 in 4 BB owners, that's interesting.
Yeah, right. Like it's so obvious that "flagship" Android phones are superior. More likey the reverse. If the ones with the "free" Android phones wouldn't spring for a "flagship" why would they pay for an iPhone? It's the disillusioned ones with the "flagship" Androids that will switch to the real McCoy when the new iPhone is released.

You got it backwards, buster.

Gazoobee
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2012, 06:55 AM

I find this article is very confusingly written in parts. This part for instance ...
Originally Posted by NewsPoster View Post
... MicroSD, a common Android phone feature, was the least popular feature, behind a larger touchscreen. ...
Uses some strange turns of phrase but seems to imply that a "larger screen" is the second-least most popular feature wanted.

Later in the article however, the graphic boldly states that a larger screen is actually the fourth most popular item wanted.

Both of these statements *could* be true, but it seems unlikely. It also kind of misrepresents things to refer to something as both "fourth most popular" and "second least popular." It implies that the respondants were asked about many, many different features when in fact these two statements can only both be true if they were literally only asked about five things.

If they were only asked about five things, then the whole construction of "most popular" and "least popular" is faulty and misleading. It's just five things after all and you have four of them in the graphic. It's confusing at best to refer to things this way.

MadGoat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2012, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
Yeah, right. Like it's so obvious that "flagship" Android phones are superior. More likey the reverse. If the ones with the "free" Android phones wouldn't spring for a "flagship" why would they pay for an iPhone? It's the disillusioned ones with the "flagship" Androids that will switch to the real McCoy when the new iPhone is released.
Keep drinking the Kool-Aid... I was like you not more than 3 weeks ago, I got... Once you really go Android or anything else (Not just "Messed around with one" as everyone seems to say), you'll wonder why you waited so long.

When you can do things to your phone right out of the box that Apple won't let us do, you'll feel much better.

Don't get me wrong, my iPad is tops in the tablet department because there are things in the music department that Android cannot touch as of yet. But in the Phone department, Android is tops for me for now.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by MadGoat View Post
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
Keep drinking the Kool-Aid... I was like you not more than 3 weeks ago, I got... Once you really go Android or anything else (Not just "Messed around with one" as everyone seems to say), you'll wonder why you waited so long.
Anecdotal evidence, obviously, but I've found the opposite to be true for everyone I've ever met, both in the Android and iOS camp.

I've never met anyone who didn't grudgingly live with Android's shortcomings after switching FROM iOS, or switch back to iOS when whatever reason they had for switching away was fixed.

5thwall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2012, 07:58 AM

Survey: this ex-Apple iPhone owner wanted an Android device, so he sold his iPhone and got a Galaxy Nexus and is extremely happy.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2012, 08:29 AM

Why'd you switch?

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2012, 03:21 PM

Put me down as one wanting to dump Android and go to the iPhone.

I had the first Android phone, the G1, and it was decent for what it was. But as my contract approached its end, the G1 was dying. TMO had the G2X coming out which would be the first dual core phone. I went for it. It's gotta be the crappiest cell phone ever made.

But I'm just sick of Android. The carriers and manufacturers mess up the OS with crappy skins and bloatware you can't get rid of. And you're lucky to get an Android update for the life of your contract. It's gotten out of hand.

I want a smartphone that works as advertised. My TMO contract isn't up until next April, but if the iPhone 5 looks good with no major post-release problems, I'll go for it. I'll sell the G2X on eBay while letting TMO chase me around for a couple months to collect the ETF.

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2012, 01:17 AM

I LOVE my Nexus S. No desire to switch..... But you guys already knew that :-)

Johnny5k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2012, 11:36 PM

I combined the survey results from TechBargains with data from comScore, to estimate how many U.S. customers those percentages would translate to, should they be an accurate representation of U.S. phone users. Of the 234m (million) Americans age 13 and older use mobile devices (according to comScore), the survey results equate to 81.7m who said they will buy the new iPhone when it is released. An additional 68.7m were undecided, which means they are considering buying the new iPhone. If just 30% of those do, that's 20.6m, for a total of over 100 million new iPhone sales. And that's just those who would be buying it when it's released, not accounting for those who might buy it some time in the future. Of course the survey is not an exact representation of American smartphone users, and these are very non-scientific estimates, but they can give a general idea of what we might be in for.

For details on my math, a complete analysis of the TechBargains + comScore results, and a graph to visualize what those sales would mean, check out my blog: http://peanutbuttereggdirt.com/d/2012/09/11/the-new-iphone-5-will-annihilate-sales-records/

I am long AAPL.

John Stalberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2012, 01:30 AM

An additional 68.7m were undecided, which means they are considering buying the new iPhone.
No it doesn't! It means and only means they hadn't made a decision about buing the new iPhone. That match anyone that have not even given it a thought. When asked about if they intend to buy the new iPhone or not, a state of not being able to make a decision at the time of the question might arise. This includes anyone not even given it a single thought before. Your conclusion needs something more, something asserting previous thoughts about buying the new iPhone or not.

Thinking of the result, 1 of 5 isn't surprising. iPhone's are a top notch phone and offers an impressive infrastructure. Who do not give it a thought when figuring what phone to buy? 4 of 5!! That's a lot! The 1 of 5 is not imho.

Forum Links
Forum Rules