Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Sept. 12th to see iPod touch, nano, shuffle updates

Sept. 12th to see iPod touch, nano, shuffle updates
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 7, 2012, 09:39 AM

Beyond the iPhone 5, Apple's September 12th event will also see updates to the iPod touch, nano, and shuffle, according to 9to5Mac sources. The Touch lineup is thought to be getting some of the more interesting changes; while there will still be three models, the sources say that the cheapest one will be a tweaked version of the current-generation design, while the other two will be more substantially altered. The latter are linked to $299 and $399 pricetags, and are expected to come in several variations, though what that means isn't explained. It could imply real color options, instead of just black or white.

The new Nano is said to have a completely different codename that its 2011 counterpart, which may mean that it's getting a major overhaul as has sometimes been rumored. It should come in eight colors, but could be limited to a single capacity. The earlier rumors have suggested a return to a rectangular design, and the addition of Wi-Fi and/or a Home button. The Shuffle is expected to stay largely static, including a price at or around $49. Like the new Nano, it should be sold in eight colors, instead of the current Shuffle's five. The iPod has fallen by the wayside in terms of Apple priorities, owing to declining sales since the introduction of the iPhone in 2007. Last year the Touch and the Nano went almost unaltered, and were mentioned only briefly in an event that concentrated on the iPhone 4S.

hayesk
Sep 7, 2012, 09:43 AM

I don't think Apple will talk about anything other than the new iPhone. I predict there will be a later announcement (October, maybe?) with an updated iPod Touch (with the new bigger screen), other updated iPods, and a new smaller iPad.

Scott_R
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2012, 03:47 PM

I hope there's finally a useful addition to the Touch, like GPS. I still have a second gen, because there haven't been any changes since then that I've found remotely worth it.

mpetrides
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2012, 03:54 PM

An iPod touch for $299-399? You've got to be kidding. Even if the iPod touch morphed into an iPad mini, $299 is on the VERY high side for price when compared to other 7 inch tablets. $399 puts it at the same price as the iPad 2.

This pricing makes NO sense--even when you factor in the premium price commanded by Apple products.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2012, 04:49 PM

For $399, I would expect an iPod Touch 3G.

Forum Links
Forum Rules