Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple brings out new iPod nano, iPod touch

Apple brings out new iPod nano, iPod touch
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 12, 2012, 10:42 AM

Apple today overhauled its iPod line, updating the Nano to the seventh generation, and the Touch to the fifth. The new Nano is switching back to a tall design, but now has a 2.5-inch multi-touch screen, with a Home button as on iOS devices. The player is almost half as thin as its predecessor, and uses the new smaller Lightning connector also seen on the iPhone 5.

Seven colors are available; some other features include a built-in FM tuner with live pausing, and the return of video recording. Fitness tracking technology is also integrated, including Nike+ support; a Bluetooth transmitter, meanwhile, allows streaming to wireless speakers. Battery life has been extended to 30 hours. The new iPod touch is just 6.1mm thin, and uses the same 4-inch display as the iPhone 5, as well as the same Lightning and speaker technology. Its processor has only been upgraded to the A5 level, not A6, but Apple does comment that the chip is nevertheless seven times faster than the fourth-gen Touch. Battery life is rated at 40 hours for music, and 8 hours for video. A new 5-megapixel iSight camera is being used, which supports the panorama option available on the iPhone 5, as well as 1080p video, LED flash, and autofocus. Wireless support has been extended to allow dual-band 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0, plus AirPlay mirroring on an Apple TV. For the first time on an iPod, Siri voice commands can be issued. A button on the back pops open a loop for a wrist strap. Five different colors are being sold. The previous-generation Touch is being kept on sale for $199 in a 16GB configuration, or $249 for 32GB. New Touch models will go on sale in October, and start at $299 for a 32GB player, moving up to $399 for 64GB. The new Nano will cost at least $149 for 16GB, and ship in the same timeframe. The iPod shuffle is effectively unchanged, costing $49 for a 2GB unit, although new color options have been introduced. All iPods will now have a (PRODUCT)RED color to choose from, from which a portion of money will go to fight AIDS in Africa.

RoboBobo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2012, 11:11 AM

So you get the new iPod Touch goodness starting on the 32gb model and $299.

OUCH - since I'm on t-mobile I get my apple mobile fix, by purchasing the iPod touch. Looks like a $299 hit this time. That's more than I paid for my last Windows netbook.

Good to be Apple. Oh well, the device is a marvel anyway.

GreenMnM
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2012, 03:29 PM

...some other features include a built-in FM tuner with live pausing, and the return of video recording.

How does an iPod nano with no camera record video? I'm sure you mean video playback.

-Doug

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2012, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by blahblahbber View Post
Let's have a product RED because us people are too stupid to know that there is already a patent on the "cure for AIDS"...
Even if this is true (first time I've ever wanted for something you wrote to be even remotely true), getting this fantasy "cure" to hundreds of millions of people in the third world costs no money in your pathetic little fantasy basement world?

And what about the decades until it even becomes possible?

Also, interestingly, just a couple of seconds of searching turns up this:

Of course, the procedure is so expensive, complicated, and risky that it's not replicable as a large-scale public health strategy
http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2008-11/cure-aids

You want to briefly reconsider?

I mean, it's okay if you don't. Nobody holds you to any kind of human standard on these forums anymore, anyway.

But yeah, **** Apple for donating to charity.

Moron.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2012, 06:29 AM

Huh. I flagged blahblahbber for trolling an hour ago, and his post since vanished. Mods move fast around here, I guess?

blahblahbber
Banned
Sep 13, 2012, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Huh. I flagged blahblahbber for trolling an hour ago, and his post since vanished. Mods move fast around here, I guess?
Yeah, right. Anyhow try US PATENT #5,676,977 Method of curing AIDS with tetrasilver tetroxide molecular crystal devices

This is how you know the world is being orchestrated.

Listen up, it's time to stop acting deaf, dumb, and blind. Sheeple, wipe your eyes, take another look. A quick glance is just the beginning; there is more work to do.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2012, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by blahblahbber View Post
Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Yeah, right. Anyhow try US PATENT #5,676,977 Method of curing AIDS with tetrasilver tetroxide molecular crystal devices

This is how you know the world is being orchestrated.

Listen up, it's time to stop acting deaf, dumb, and blind. Sheeple, wipe your eyes, take another look. A quick glance is just the beginning; there is more work to do.
I hope you're donating to charity, because somebody has to pay to get that cure to the less-insured, once it hits the market (should it ever become viable).

The difference between "possible" and "viable", btw, is usually measured in decades, if at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules