Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Swiss railway, watch firms angry over new iPad Clock app

Swiss railway, watch firms angry over new iPad Clock app
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 20, 2012, 11:25 AM

Two Swiss companies -- Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) and watchmaker Mondaine -- are considering pursuing Apple over the new Clock app in the iPad version of iOS 6, according to Blick.ch. The look of the clocks in the app is said to resemble a design originally used in Swiss railway stations and currently licensed by Mondaine. A spokesman for SBB, Reto Kormann, says that the railway has already contacted Apple, while Mondaine CEO Andre Bernheim has confirmed an intent to go after Apple.

iOS 6 is the first edition of iOS to include a native iPad Clock app; previously iPad owners had to download third-party software. The app can track times in several cities simultaneously, also displaying local weather. More importantly it includes native alarm, timer, and stopwatch functions, which can be important for travel or bedside use.

prl99
Senior User
Sep 20, 2012, 11:48 AM

I did some investigation and they are very similar (if not exact) and there is a US patent covering the watch (gets crazy with one patent referencing a bunch of others) but this is one of those products that should be considered generic by now. A watch/clock has 60 tick marks, 12 or which are larger. That's a typical clock. The fact Apple made the ticks as square end lines has been done many times. The red second sweep hand might be what gets them in trouble but even if they changed to a green or blue one, how many versions of the same basic, accepted design can you make and have the patent office patent?

I'm not talking about round corners after all....

blahblahbber
Banned
Sep 20, 2012, 12:09 PM

Like I've said before, crApple isn't even trying anymore... they feel they can just walk all over respected territories and pay the price later behind closed doors... I know I know, other companies do it too, but look at how crApple sets an example... total hypocrisy.

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2012, 12:13 PM

I hope Apple can give us a calculator and weather widget over the next 2 iOS updates that would make the iPad perfect :-P
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

ZinkDifferent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2012, 12:31 PM

Just take the red dot off the seconds hand, and it'll be fine.

It's about as generic a design as you can have, otherwise... Though that this slipped by Apple is an indication of an ever increasing lack of attention to certain details (the LTE ipad fiasco was another such incident).

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by bleee View Post
I hope Apple can give us a calculator and weather widget over the next 2 iOS updates that would make the iPad perfect :-P
Nope. Not going to happen. Steve's rules.

bdmarsh
Sep 20, 2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by blahblahbber View Post
Like I've said before, crApple isn't even trying anymore... they feel they can just walk all over respected territories and pay the price later behind closed doors... I know I know, other companies do it too, but look at how crApple sets an example... total hypocrisy.
or the people who made the decision didn't realize that it was a copy of a physical watch or train station that was patented (I'd never seen either physical item before)
unless of course there are emails at apple saying to "just do it" when warned

Most likely the appearance will be changed in 6.0.1

George Cowdery
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2012, 01:18 PM

Swiss clock problem solved.

pairof9s
Senior User
Sep 20, 2012, 01:26 PM

Or perhaps the easiest solution would be to match the Clock design used on the iPhone version.

I suppose it's an oversight by the designer ("saw this somewhere...though it was cool!") more so than the conspiracy theory set forth by blahblahbber. But agree with bdmarsh that this will probably be quickly resolved in a 6.0.1 update.

Adrian Mann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2012, 01:55 PM

".... and in shock news, Apple buys Swiss Federal Railways and watchmaker Mondaine. Shares rise to $800."

ggirton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2012, 03:27 PM

I love the bite-out-of-the-apple idea for the second hand. But I don't like the look of the clockface. Too bad it was obviously ripped off. I hope Apple has the good sense to 1. Pay the railway and 2. Change the design. Are design patents timeless and forever? This one has been around for over fifty years. I think the Eiffel Tower is another one that's fairly well-owned.
a penny here a penny there, pretty soon you're talking two cents

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2012, 04:16 PM

Apple hires Samsung lawyer, who claims that Apple is innocent of copying because hands on Apple's implementation are two microns SHORTER than the Mondaine version."
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2012, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian Mann View Post
".... and in shock news, Apple buys Swiss Federal Railways and watchmaker Mondaine. Shares rise to $800."
And in shock news, Apple sues the socks off Swiss Federal Railways and watchmaker Mondaine over trade dress...

There, fixed it for you.

blahblahbber
Banned
Sep 21, 2012, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Apple hires Samsung lawyer, who claims that Apple is innocent of copying because hands on Apple's implementation are two microns SHORTER than the Mondaine version."
Whoa, you are a total comedian. Didn't know you had it in you...

Forum Links
Forum Rules