Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple SVP: Scratches, chips to be expected with iPhone 5

Apple SVP: Scratches, chips to be expected with iPhone 5
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 25, 2012, 07:22 AM

Some cosmetic damage to the aluminum band around the iPhone 5 is "normal," according to an email from Apple's senior VP for worldwide marketing, Phil Schiller. The message was sent in reply to someone who noted that his and other black iPhones were showing "scuffs, scratches and marks" along the band. "What should we all do? Any plan to fix this?" the person wrote.

"Any aluminum product may scratch or chip with use, exposing its natural silver color. That is normal," Schiller emailed in response. Still unaddressed is the issue of some iPhone 5s shipping with damage already inflicted. While the design of the iPhone 5 is similar in many ways to the iPhone 4S, it does use a notably different construction, for instance switching from Gorilla Glass to an aluminum back. Apple may have made the switch not only for aesthetics but to improve the iPhone's ability to withstand drops. While the glass backs of the iPhone 4 and 4S were less prone to scratching or chipping, there was a risk of them cracking completely if they hit a hard surface.

hayesk
Sep 25, 2012, 07:44 AM

Why do people care so much? Do they just stare at the case of their phone all day? Does it affect call quality? App performance?

No. No, it doesn't. Relax people. It's a property of anodized aluminum. It happens.

Chip Before PC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2012, 08:58 AM

While all the above is very true, Apple still has not learned by its mistakes. They tried to explain away imperfection in G4 Cube and ended up with a mess on their hands. I hope that they have a fall back plan better than their handling of the G4 Cube.

Drew Hall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2012, 09:06 AM

My iPhone 5 shipped with a bent and scratched aluminum band. I called Apple and they are shipping me a new one.

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2012, 09:09 AM

Some of my first comments to friends when the leaks started were 'it will scratch' and 'why black' when silver on black looked so good on my i2... While most will have a case this is just not good design. Promoting phone as fetish object on build quality & then have it visibly scuff on light use is just not clever. SS might be too heavy of course, but might make a more durable option. I also miss the pebble shape of the 3gs for pocket comfort...

shmoolie
Sep 25, 2012, 09:21 AM

If it's shipped scratched or cracked return it and it will be replaced. If it's shipped OK then buy a case. There. No need for 10,000 comments.

darkelf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2012, 10:22 AM

feh. you should see the kinds of scratches and nicks my truck gets, and that's a heck of a lot more expensive.

elroth
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by darkelf View Post
feh. you should see the kinds of scratches and nicks my truck gets, and that's a heck of a lot more expensive.
That's why I won't let you drive my iPhone.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2012, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chip Before PC View Post
While all the above is very true, Apple still has not learned by its mistakes. They tried to explain away imperfection in G4 Cube and ended up with a mess on their hands. I hope that they have a fall back plan better than their handling of the G4 Cube.
You hold a grudge a long time.

Phones are tools...I'd only be worried the glass would get scratched or the device will stop working. Scratches are expected so deal with it...or buy a case.

Pilsner6910
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2012, 03:07 PM

its aluminium, its gonna happen. but dings from the factory isnt cool but being dealt with by Apple.
Maybe the next iPhone will be made of titanium to shut the whiners up.

I dont have a case for mine yet and i work in construction and its still not showing any wear even though it slide across a concrete floor. Im quite happy with it!!

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2012, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pilsner6910 View Post
its aluminium, its gonna happen. but dings from the factory isnt cool but being dealt with by Apple.
Maybe the next iPhone will be made of titanium to shut the whiners up.
I dont have a case for mine yet and i work in construction and its still not showing any wear even though it slide across a concrete floor. Im quite happy with it!!
With the iPhone being a product chosen mostly for it's aesthetic value rather than leading edge tech, and all the money Apple charges for it's year old tech, the chassis might as well been made of titanium; or liquid metal like the Vertu.

Forum Links
Forum Rules