Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Glitch shows iCloud storage set at 25GB until year 2050

Glitch shows iCloud storage set at 25GB until year 2050
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 1, 2012, 01:44 AM

A glitch in iCloud shows ex-MobileMe accounts as having a renewal date set for the year 2050. Twitter user MGLeet noticed the accounts, previously set at 25GB due to MobileMe users receiving a 20GB iCloud boost as an incentive to change systems, currently show a future renewal date of the end of September 2050, instead of the expected downgrade to 5GB for free accounts.

Details for paid accounts still show on the Apple website, which suggests this to be a glitch and not compensation for the current issues with Maps, speculated elsewhere. At $40 per year, if the 20GB storage upgrade is kept active until 2050, this would cost Apple around $1,500 per user in potentially missed subscription charges. If it is indeed an error, affected accounts should be downgraded to the free 5GB tier in the near future. [via TUAW]

daqman
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2012, 03:33 AM

Yes, sure enough, there it is. I have 55 GB of storage and my plan is set to expire 09/30/50. I'm only using 2GB since iDisk went away so I have the account set to downgrade to 5 GB. It seems like Apple can't get a single thing right.

It they'd still got iDisk or some equivalent I wouldn't be downgrading. Yes, I know how to use iCloud and what the tricks are regarding accessing the Mobile Documents folder in ~/Library but it's still a trick and not a supported feature. I don't like the idea of trusting valuable data to that.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

noibs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2012, 04:08 AM

Obviously not a really big deal but this just another of the MANY small details that Apple is not getting right any more. Glitches, frustrations, workarounds, etc. Is anyone at Apple sweating all the small stuff? In this case, Apple's had the better part of a year to get this iCloud downgrade right. They knew exactly when it was going to happen. There shouldn't be any bug with something like this except there is still the feel that iCloud is not ready for prime time. While I'm at it, why are convervations using Messages out of order when they are loaded by one of my Apple devices that wasn't used to send and receive the original messages? It happens every day. It happened five minutes ago.

lkrupp
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2012, 06:45 AM

These "this would never have happened under Steve" posts are ridiculous.

young1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2012, 10:27 AM

Is it possible that it is showing 9/30/50 for MobileMe subscribers who had MobileMe set up to auto-renew each year?

I know that mine was set up that way, and I do see the 9/30/2050 date as well.. I wonder if I will soon see a $40 charge from Apple on my credit card bill.

blahblahbber
Banned
Oct 1, 2012, 11:01 AM

Seriously, crApple is showing how it is falling apart. If you cant get the most of the little stuff right, in whatever industry or project, you bet it will show what direction or what state of condition their position is.... try a pile of manure.

blahblahbber
Banned
Oct 1, 2012, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
These "this would never have happened under Steve" posts are ridiculous.
no they are not. You do need an anushole to keep things running nice and tight. How do you think you make rank or create a successful anything. Steve had what it took yet yet with a criminal mind. Seriously, who asks to take a handicap parking space "just because"? And developing and selling "blue boxes" is federal time in jail. Stealing other developers work? ALL GOOD OL' STEVE. If he had no one else, he wouldn't be anything but a hippy who loves his records and fancy old english typography while being on one of his "Ayahuasca trips".

Forum Links
Forum Rules