Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple posts Steve Jobs video tribute one year on

Apple posts Steve Jobs video tribute one year on
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 5, 2012, 05:50 AM

On the first anniversary of his death, apple.com is hosting a short video tribute in memory of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. The clip features black-and-white photos of Jobs, along with snippets of audio from various presentations he made. After the video is finished can people access links to the regular Apple website, but are also presented with a short message from current CEO Tim Cook.

"Steve's passing one year ago today was a sad and difficult time for all of us. I hope that today everyone will reflect on his extraordinary life and the many ways he made the world a better place," it begins. "One of the greatest gifts Steve gave to the world is Apple. No company has ever inspired such creativity or set such high standards for itself. Our values originated from Steve and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple. We share the great privilege and responsibility of carrying his legacy into the future. "I'm incredibly proud of the work we are doing, delivering products that our customers love and dreaming up new ones that will delight them down the road. It's a wonderful tribute to Steve's memory and everything he stood for." Although its profits are steadily growing, Apple continues to live in the shadow of Jobs. For many years Jobs was not only the public face of the company but credited with many of its product ideas, some of which are still in development. He was also infamous for micromanaging many details, an attitude that may have nevertheless contributed to his company's success.

wlinder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2012, 06:54 AM

What a wonderful tribute. Such great memories.

What? No, it's not a tear. Must be my allergies acting up.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2012, 12:27 PM

I think there will be an awkward period (that we're currently in) as the company transitions away from having Jobs all over everything to having the senior team handle their own fiefdoms, but I hope and expect that Steve was right when he said he believed Apple's best days are still ahead of it. I would not be surprised if the company flourishes over time.

It will continue to make the occasional misstep. People forget, but Apple made tons of "mistakes" when Steve was around. This is what happens when you allow a company to take risks.

The important thing is that he gave Apple permission to take risks. That's why Apple revolutionized the MP3 player, cell phone, tablet and portable industries even though they rarely invented the genre or even always had the "best" device. It's because they, unlike too many other companies, were willing to rethink.

Even those of you using Android devices: stop and think for a minute -- look it up if you need to -- but cell phones were really, really different before Apple got in. Tablets were really, really different before Apple got in. Heck, the IDEA of computers as personal devices just wasn't on the horizon before Apple got in.

If you like your Android or Microsoft or whatever non-Apple device, that's fine. I'm glad you're enjoying it -- as Steve would say, enjoying the technology is the whole point. But don't kid yourselves that at least a little of the quality of the experience you're getting doesn't come from what Apple did for the industries it disrupted. Everyone (apart from perhaps the Amish) owes Steve and the other people at Apple at least a little debt of gratitude.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

juraiprince
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2012, 07:46 PM

Very well said, chas_m!

It was always about taking risks with Apple since Steve Jobs ran the company. He will be missed, but Apple will march on. It really kind of struck me when at work today delivering mail to one of the offices I go to, three young ladies were so excited when showing me their brand new iPhone 5s', and it was truly a wonderful moment. Also, while in an AT&T store buying a case for my iPhone 5, I heard a customer ask if they usually get the type of crowd that was present, and he said "only when a new iPhone comes out".

Indeed, Apple will go on...

Thank you for the memories and wonderful products Steve Jobs.

blahblahbber
Banned
Oct 6, 2012, 04:22 PM

Everyone, get off his nuts. Want me to make a sad video? What about the kids in Africa? Guess I don't need a video for that...

juraiprince
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2012, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by blahblahbber View Post
Everyone, get off his nuts. Want me to make a sad video? What about the kids in Africa? Guess I don't need a video for that...
I would love to see your video about the sick and starving children in Africa, but somehow I don't think you even know anything about that. And if so, please elucidate.

blahblahbber
Banned
Oct 7, 2012, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by juraiprince View Post
I would love to see your video about the sick and starving children in Africa, but somehow I don't think you even know anything about that. And if so, please elucidate.
It's sad that sometimes you don't think, as well.

juraiprince
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2012, 06:07 PM

Just as I thought. Another idiot with nothing smart to say.

blahblahbber
Banned
Oct 7, 2012, 11:11 PM

Just as I thought. Another idiot with nothing smart to say.
Expected something otherwise? There is nothing to speak about. Yes, the starving and hungry in Africa. You want me to get you a video? If you really want the videos to elucidate you, try youtube, and don't be lazy. I really don't have anything else to say because your request is just as "idiotic". You need a video.... really?.... I mean REALLY??? Thought so, goodbye.

juraiprince
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2012, 06:16 AM

Like I said...nothing smart to say. YOU were the one to bring up said video. Trying to be funny or sarcastic in a thread that didn't call for it. Who's the idiot here? Look in the mirror. And I won't even take this thread off topic by even responding to your pathetic comments anymore.

Evolution_tech
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2012, 09:20 AM

It's a fitting and lovely tribute. Well done Apple!

blahblahbber
Banned
Oct 8, 2012, 11:15 AM

Like I said...nothing smart to say. YOU were the one to bring up said video. Trying to be funny or sarcastic in a thread that didn't call for it. Who's the idiot here? Look in the mirror. And I won't even take this thread off topic by even responding to your pathetic comments anymore.
Likewise, Tree. Never funny... my history...all true unless set forth, but you can't handle the truth. Who's the waste now compost? Sorry I did not fill your convenient, over-the-counter elucidation of a less respected poster. Mirror?....off topic? puhlease.

p.s. By the way, before you judge others, I suggest paying attention... & cross your ts' and dot your is'... nothing like a touch of prepwork to make your argument that much stronger. It's like you agree with my comment, yet you put your own spin and downgraded my comment like I was being funny. You are a fool, and if you think I am still being funny, then you are on your own. If you have a problem with me, respect others and PM me. But I have my bets you won't man up...

juraiprince
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2012, 12:05 PM

I would, be we'd be one man short! I'm out!

Forum Links
Forum Rules