Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > WSJ: supply chain set to build over 10M iPad minis in Q4

WSJ: supply chain set to build over 10M iPad minis in Q4
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 8, 2012, 05:28 AM

Asian supply companies say they've received enough orders to build over 10 million iPad minis in the December quarter alone, according to the Wall Street Journal. For comparison, the contacted suppliers add that the figure is roughly twice what Amazon has ordered for Kindle Fire tablets, perhaps Apple's closest competition in the tablet realm. Last week the Journal noted that production of the smaller iPad is already underway.

The new report doesn't mention any previously undisclosed features. The tablet is expected to have a 7.85-inch display, and become the first iPad to use Apple's new Lightning connector format. Beyond that though details are uncertain, including the resolution of the screen, although it will likely retain a Retina-level dpi. If rumors prove accurate, Apple could send out invitations to an iPad mini event as soon as this week, though the event itself would probably take place October 17th. The device would be in stores by early November, in time to claim a sizable amount of holiday sales.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Oct 8, 2012, 06:35 AM

My prediction:

iPad Mini 16GB/WiFi: $399
iPad Mini 32GB/WiFi: $449

climacs
Senior User
Oct 8, 2012, 03:05 PM

too much, if this is intended to compete with the Kindle/Nook market.

I would guess $100 less than what you're calling it.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Oct 9, 2012, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by climacs View Post
too much, if this is intended to compete with the Kindle/Nook market.
I would guess $100 less than what you're calling it.
Nope. Because 1) Apple doesn't compete in pricing, and 2) It would cannibalize the Touch. Why would the iPod Touch (a 4" screen) be the same price as an iPad Mini (an 8" screen)???

I really HOPE they start at $299, hell... even cheaper. But I think everyone knows that isn't going to happen. Apple has *never* surprised me with how inexpensive any product they've ever made.

testudo
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Grendelmon View Post
Nope. Because 1) Apple doesn't compete in pricing, and 2) It would cannibalize the Touch. Why would the iPod Touch (a 4" screen) be the same price as an iPad Mini (an 8" screen)???
But at $399 it's getting into big-boy iPad territory. Aren't they concerned about losing those sales?

Grendelmon
Senior User
Oct 10, 2012, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by testudo View Post
But at $399 it's getting into big-boy iPad territory. Aren't they concerned about losing those sales?
Well, I think Apple may have painted themselves into a corner, assuming the iPad Mini actually exists.

Forum Links
Forum Rules