Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple's iTunes now accepting donations for hurricane relief

Apple's iTunes now accepting donations for hurricane relief
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 31, 2012, 10:29 PM

The US iTunes Store now features a section, accessible from the main page, that accepts donations to help with relief efforts on behalf of victims of hurricane Sandy. Apple has traditionally opened a page for Red Cross donations after disasters, and this one has preset amount options ranging from $5 up to $200. All of the donations will go directly to relief efforts, which are continuing as large sections of the ortheastern US are still without power and flooding is still an issue in areas. The area is slowly recovering, but major public safety, health and other challenges remain.

Users can donate using iTunes credit or using their credit card on file. The Red Cross is assisting with efforts all along the path of Sandy, including efforts in the other US states, as well as Haiti. At least 39 people have been killed in the US because of the storm, and millions are still without power. Haiti's death toll has risen to 54 thus far.

stillhere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2012, 10:38 PM

This only seem to work in the US store. From here in Australia I am unable to use this. Pity.

blahblahbber
Banned
Oct 31, 2012, 10:43 PM

What was that?? Cannot use the cryTunes Credit for the "American Red Cross"?? GREEDY BASTARDS!! What other explanation can you have?

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2012, 01:54 AM

Does Apple still get their 30% cut? Wouldn't surprise me, those iThieves.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Nov 1, 2012, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by wrenchy View Post
Does Apple still get their 30% cut? Wouldn't surprise me, those iThieves.
LOL

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2012, 09:22 AM

Wrenchy: if you weren't so busy getting your mindless hate on, you could -- perhaps -- find time to actually read the article.

What part of "All of the donations go directly to relief efforts" are you having trouble with? I wrote that bit out slowly so perhaps you'd catch it this time.

Not that you'd donate to help people, of course, so why you're even reading this story (and, given that you obviously can't read very well, why you'd bother) remains a mystery.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 1, 2012, 12:21 PM

I'm saddened by the fact that you outright removed my posts, rather than deleting the offending bits.

My response to blahblahbber's post (aside from perhaps putting my opinion of his behavior a little too succinctly) was perfectly cromulent and on topic.

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
-- perhaps -- find time to actually read the article.
What part of "All of the donations go directly to relief efforts" are you having trouble with?
Hey chas_m, you are obviously too ignorant to see the humour. I think Grendelmon get's it. Us Brits don't have a problem with it. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11...nes_donations/
(Btw, I found that article after I posted on macnn)

Oh why do I bother with replying to you.

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2012, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'm saddened by the fact that you outright removed my posts, rather than deleting the offending bits.
Suck it up princess.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2012, 06:23 PM

Wrenchy: none of your previous posts here have ever been funny, so I'm not sure how I was supposed to divine that this one was intended as sarcasm.

Nonetheless, if that was actually your intent, I'm sorry I missed the joke. I've no doubt that some people, however, would be ignorant enough to actually think Apple takes 30 percent off the donations, as you "pretended" to say in your post. I'm glad we can both have pity on such misinformed, willfully-stupid people together.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

blahblahbber
Banned
Nov 2, 2012, 12:03 AM

Starting to look like a bunch of crows have found a home here on macnn

Forum Links
Forum Rules