Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Judge tosses Apple v. Motorola lawsuit

Judge tosses Apple v. Motorola lawsuit
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 5, 2012, 11:39 AM

A US District Court in Wisconsin has thrown out a lawsuit filed by Apple against Google's Motorola division, Reuters reports. The case had actually been expected to go to trial today, and it's not yet known why it was rejected. Reuters says that it first heard word through a Google spokeswoman, who notes that the suit has been dismissed "with prejudice," meaning that Apple's only recourse at this point is an appeal.

At the heart of the dispute are some standards-essential wireless patents owned by Motorola, which Apple claimed weren't being licensed under fair terms. Last week the latter said it would be willing to accept a FRAND (fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory) licensing rate at or under $1 per iPhone. The Google spokeswoman, however, claims that "Motorola has long offered licensing to our extensive patent portfolio at a reasonable and non-discriminatory rate in line with industry standards." "We remain interested in reaching an agreement with Apple," the person adds. The dismissal could potentially force Apple to pay for licenses on terms more favorable to Motorola, but at the same time, an appeal might allow Apple to keep the large profit margins it makes on iPhones.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 5, 2012, 11:48 AM

What a bunch of BS

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2012, 12:07 PM

Well of course it was with prejudice. The judge did not even bother to hear the case. I wonder how much it cost Google to grease his palms.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2012, 12:15 PM

Whatever happened they were gonna appeal anyway. This just speeds things up. Better for John Q taxpayer.

elroth
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2012, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Whatever happened they were gonna appeal anyway. This just speeds things up. Better for John Q taxpayer.
Actually not. If Apple wins the appeal, it will be sent back to the lower court to hear the case.

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Well of course it was with prejudice. The judge did not even bother to hear the case. I wonder how much it cost Google to grease his palms.
It's always easy to acuse people of taking payoffs. It's also condescending and lazy.

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2012, 03:44 PM

Perhaps the judges are sick and tired of Apple's BS? That's a possibility

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2012, 04:16 PM

It's a possibility, certainly. Looking at the case, I'm not sure Apple's claims were BS however.

If you're going to suggest that its a possibility the judge just didn't want to hear it, then you how to allow for the possibility that he was bought off by Google. I think it unlikely but as YOU say, it's POSSIBLE ...
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

reader50
Administrator
Nov 5, 2012, 04:46 PM

From what I've read, Apple was willing to pay a max of $1 per device for Motorola's (standards-essential) patents. On the other hand, Apple has tried to sue Motorola's phones off the market; was unwilling to license their own (non-standards-essential) patents at any price. Apple's patents are also mainly in the software-patents category, which has proven a problem for just about everyone except the patent trolls.

Throwing the case out sounds like a just result to me. If the parties won't play fair with each other, what is the referee to do.

The Vicar
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
From what I've read, Apple was willing to pay a max of $1 per device for Motorola's (standards-essential) patents. On the other hand, Apple has tried to sue Motorola's phones off the market; was unwilling to license their own (non-standards-essential) patents at any price. Apple's patents are also mainly in the software-patents category, which has proven a problem for just about everyone except the patent trolls.
Throwing the case out sounds like a just result to me. If the parties won't play fair with each other, what is the referee to do.
Well, let's see... we know from evidence in the Samsung lawsuit that Apple DID offer to license their patents (and that Microsoft HAS licensed them). So you're just lying there.

And we also know that Motorola has been caught trying to charge different rates for their own FRAND patents in the past, while nobody claims that Apple's patents are FRAND, so that comparison is just irrelevant.

You'd do a lot better to keep quiet for a while, rather than just shooting your mouth off.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 5, 2012, 07:21 PM

Nice one. Accuse other poster of lying, imply a comparison I didn't make, and tell another user to leave the boards. Apparently for disagreeing with you. If you throw in a personal attack next, you can manage a full house.

Forum Links
Forum Rules