Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple to developers: remove 'memory' from app titles

Apple to developers: remove 'memory' from app titles
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 14, 2012, 07:41 PM

A report on gaming news site Gamasutra claims that Apple is warning developers of iOS games that German game maker Ravensburger owns the trademark for the word "memory" in association with a game title in 42 countries, and unless they change the app name, it will be removed from the App Store. The company does not own the title in the United States, but it seems that the ban is universal, and will be enforced before the end of the year worldwide, according to sources MacNN spoke to familiar with the matter.

wrenchy
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2012, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by NewsPoster View Post
German game maker Ravensburger owns the trademark for the word "memory" in association with a game title
Lol! Almost as bad as 'Monster'.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 14, 2012, 09:27 PM

Unreal!!! How about trademark every freaking words in dictionary and let's sue one another.

blahblahbber
Banned
Nov 14, 2012, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post
Unreal!!! How about trademark every freaking words in dictionary and let's sue one another.
Excuse me, I own "Unreal"... both in the antarctic and arctic, with increasing countries on the horizon.... My fellow penguins are always suited to take you down in formal proceedings.

How do you want to settle this legal matter??

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2012, 11:02 PM

I have the trademark on the word "the" in association with titles, and everyone in the world owes me a zillion dollars. Each.

But seriously, this trademark thing (like the copyright thing and IP thing) has gotten out of hand and needs sensible reform.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2012, 01:22 AM

IP will fall apart once 3D printers get good. Imagine being able to torrent your iPhone 12 instead of having to line up outside the Apple store all night.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2012, 03:51 AM

Breaking news from German government: Anyone persists in using the word "memory" in the App Store will be offered a complimentary train ride to their Paradise Island.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2012, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
IP will fall apart once 3D printers get good. Imagine being able to torrent your iPhone 12 instead of having to line up outside the Apple store all night.
Yes, it's possible in a parallel Universe.

mojkarma
Nov 15, 2012, 05:16 AM

I don't see a problem here. A company owns the copyright on the name in conjunction with a game. Memory is indeed here in Europe a known name. Like monopoly. I guess the word "windows" is equally protected as a name for operating systems. So, I don't see the slightest problem here nor a reason to complain about.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2012, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by coffeetime View Post
Breaking news from German government: Anyone persists in using the word "memory" in the App Store will be offered a complimentary train ride to their Paradise Island.
I'm not sure what that read before you edited it, but I'd like to see you try and sell a game called "Monopoly" on the US App Store. Or "Uno".

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2012, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'm not sure what that read before you edited it, but I'd like to see you try and sell a game called "Monopoly" on the US App Store. Or "Uno".
Good point.

The Vicar
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Yeah, sure, because fused little plastic pellets are totally just as good materials to build a case out of as cast aluminum and glass. No difference whatsoever. Really, trust me!

fairdeveloper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2012, 10:18 AM

I Just got a confirmation letter from the EU trademark office how this nonsense trademark has been CANCELLED and apple does not care to look and just ask developers to remove the apps.

http://oami.europa.eu/CTMOnline/RequestManager/en_SearchBasic

Trademark number 001203629

blahblahbber
Banned
Dec 29, 2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Vicar View Post
Yeah, sure, because fused little plastic pellets are totally just as good materials to build a case out of as cast aluminum and glass. No difference whatsoever. Really, trust me!
What do you think liquid metal technologies is all about?? Time to update your intellect!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2012, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by fairdeveloper View Post

I Just got a confirmation letter from the EU trademark office how this nonsense trademark has been CANCELLED and apple does not care to look and just ask developers to remove the apps.

http://oami.europa.eu/CTMOnline/RequestManager/en_SearchBasic

Trademark number 001203629
Final decision was on 30/11/2012 – not long ago.

But underneath it says

Expiry Date: 11/06/2019
Status of renewal: Renewed
Type of renewal: Total

So is it valid until 2019, or has it been invalidated?

Forum Links
Forum Rules