Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple's Eddy Cue fires exec in charge of iOS 6 Maps

Apple's Eddy Cue fires exec in charge of iOS 6 Maps
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 27, 2012, 10:42 AM

Apple's senior VP for Internet software and services, Eddy Cue, has fired the executive in charge of iOS 6 Maps, Richard Williamson, according to Bloomberg sources. Although it's unknown if a replacement for Williamson has been lined up, one of the sources claims that Cue is planning to install a new leadership team in the Maps group. Meanwhile, another source says that a team is dedicated to fixing mapping mistakes, for instance upgrading UK satellite imagery or the labeling for US landmarks. The group is allegedly concentrating on the most obvious problems first.

pairof9s
Senior User
Nov 27, 2012, 10:56 AM

To be honest, none of this soap opera stuff is compelling. I'm more interested in knowing when Apple will finish updating Maps as well as other services, along with overhauling the skeuomorphic designs that riddle it.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 27, 2012, 11:04 AM

Nice to see Richard Williamson go in another direction.

Zanziboy
Forum Regular
Nov 27, 2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by pairof9s View Post
To be honest, none of this soap opera stuff is compelling. I'm more interested in knowing when Apple will finish updating Maps as well as other services, along with overhauling the skeuomorphic designs that riddle it.
I agree. There has been too much interest in problems than solutions. The technical issues with Maps are well-known. We need to know what actions the company is taking to fix Maps and create an common mapping solution for all Apple products going forward. Apple should be spending money fixing Maps and increasing share value rather than blowing the cash on small dividends. Can someone summon the spirit of Steve Jobs, please?

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2012, 12:56 AM

1. Apple HAS been making significant improvements to Maps. If you haven't tried it lately, try it now. Go to some of the well-publicized problem spots. You'll see for yourself. (for me it has worked flawlessly since day one, because I live in a city in North America and drive a car. I appreciate that the loss of transit directions was a blow to a large segment of Maps users).

2. The dividend plan was discussed and approved by the executives Jobs picked while Jobs was still at the company.

3. Apple makes back the cash they "blew" on dividends in about a week. I mean this literally: Apple makes *at least* $10BN per month (usually more) these days, the dividend cost $2.5B. Their cash stockpile has grown significantly despite the dividend.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2012, 05:36 AM

I wish for a (favourite/select) map download vs data plan version... I am amazed anyone can map the entire world in real time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules