Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Complete restore from Time Machine

Complete restore from Time Machine
Eldberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2012, 04:29 AM

Some iMacs from 2009-2010 have a 1TB Seagate hard disk which has proved unreliable. Apple is currently replacing these disks and my iMac is one of those affected. It has now been returned from the service center with a new HD and all the systems software installed like on a new machine.

I have a Time Machine backup from before the repair. So how do I best go about restoring my software? It would be a lot of bother to copy every single file or folder. Remember, this is the startup disk which is different from just duplicating an external hard disk.

Åke

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2012, 04:35 AM

The easiest way would have been to just say "yes" when it asked you whether you wanted to restore from a Time Machine backup when you first turned it on upon getting it back.

Now that the system is apparently up and running, open the Migration Assistant (in the Finder, it's in Applications --> Utilities) and follow instructions.

Eldberg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2012, 03:29 AM

Obviously I was expecting too little from Apple. I was not expecting total automation. But that's what I got. Turned on computer, attached backup disk. Dialog box offered to restore from Time Machine. OK! It's now a couple of hours into the process and the only thing I regret is not having anything faster than USB 2.0

Thanks Spheric!

Åke

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2012, 04:16 AM

Eldberg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2012, 06:26 AM

Back from office... Everything would have been perfect if only the yo-yos at the Apple service center had re-installed my system as it was – Mountain Lion. As it is, they installed a hard drive with OSX 10.6 – the one that the machine originally had – which meant that my password didn't work, I had to bring out the install DVDs and reset the password and now I'm looking at an interesting morning with updating the System from the AppStore with an Apple ID that can only be accessed from my password software which does not work under 10.6...

This means: Restoring from a Time Machine backup does not restore the System. This is BAD.

Åke

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2012, 09:00 AM

If you upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion, you can use the Disk Utility after it reboots for installation to erase the disk and install a clean copy of Mountain Lion, and THEN migrate back from the Time Machine backup.

Provided you can get at it, of course.

Muppets.

Uncle heFTY
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2012, 12:36 AM

here is a conundrum; I have recently had to send my beloved MBP with Mountain Lion to the hosptial after a massive crash and am working on a rather ancient MBP using 10.6.8 (it cannot be upgraded to Mountain Lion) and have my back ups on Time Machine on a remote HD. I tried to do a migrate from the TMHD to my odre machine and it simply told me it couldn't because the OSX was older. Is there a way round this?

Can anyone help please?

Uncle H

Forum Links
Forum Rules