Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Current Mac startup chime receives trademark from USPTO

Current Mac startup chime receives trademark from USPTO
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 12, 2012, 02:13 PM

While musical notes themselves cannot be patented, a combination of notes and realization of them that form a distinct and recognizable sound can be -- and the US Patent and Trademark Office has now officially granted a registered trademark to Apple for the current (and in use since 1999) startup chime. The sound turns out to be a slightly flat G flat/F sharp combination, according to the trademark application Apple filed in June, as noted by Patently Apple.

The sound was created by Apple programmer Jim Reekes, who has created many of the chimes heard over the years. Musicians such as guitarist Stanley Jordan and producer Brian Eno have been involved in the creation of startup sounds, which they say are actually quite complex compositions despite their brevity -- because the companies creating them want the sound to evoke a number of emotions and mental images, while still being incredibly short. Eno, who described his Windows 95 startup as "a little jewel" that needed 84 drafts before it was accomplished, claimed that Microsoft had sent a list of "about 150" adjectives, ranging from "futuristic" and "optimistic" to "sexy." He was also limited to no more than 3.8 seconds. Mac startup chimes are generally much shorter still. Stanley Jordan once told an interviewer that he spent a whole day in a studio before hitting on the chord that would become the signature sound of the Power Mac 6100 and other Mac models released in 1994 and 1995. Jordan, who popularized "tapping" notes directly from the fret as a guitar technique, used a 12-string acoustic guitar tuned in all-fourths to create the sound, which was used for around a year before reverting back to the previous Reekes composition. In addition to its original function of letting users know that the audio system was working, startup chimes have also been used on Macs to indicate that RAM has been checked, and an off-key sound signifies that there is a issue preventing startup (such as lack of RAM or a hardware failure). The trademark is in the form of a "sensory mark" rather than a traditional trademark due to its musical nature.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2012, 02:21 PM

"G Flat/F sharp combination". Heh.

Sounds like a really complex harmony.

(not knocking the act of sound design, but just the author of this news blurb)

blahblahbber
Banned
Dec 12, 2012, 02:49 PM

Cracked me up as well.

apostle
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2012, 03:05 PM

Personally I find the Mac startup chime very irritating. If I leave the audio "muted" when I turn off the Mac I find I can avoid the "startup chime" altogether.

blahblahbber
Banned
Dec 12, 2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by apostle View Post
Personally I find the Mac startup chime very irritating. If I leave the audio "muted" when I turn off the Mac I find I can avoid the "startup chime" altogether.
Then ur like me, it's scares you doesn't it? The Quadra had a more smoother chime; one I can tolerate.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2012, 03:24 PM

I prefer the heavier tone of current machines over the quadra/performa "Plingggg".

Or give me an old 68000 beep.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2012, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by apostle View Post
There are quite a few utilities that can silence your Mac's startup chime (or alter it's volume) so you don't have to fiddle with your speakers.

blahblahbber
Banned
Dec 12, 2012, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
There are quite a few utilities that can silence your Mac's startup chime (or alter it's volume) so you don't have to fiddle with your speakers.
I know in the older macs you can go into OF (spare me the key combo, thanks) and meddle with this and many other sorts. I heard you aren't allowed access to the programmer's "button" so to speak as of... introduction of unibody macs?

blahblahbber
Banned
Dec 12, 2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I prefer the heavier tone of current machines over the quadra/performa "Plingggg".
Or give me an old 68000 beep.
Hey Spheric, you gonna want that matrix printer back??... I just gotta print a few more ascii pics and I'll hand it back to you. Oh, and sorry about the ribbon. I decided to replace it with cat guts; I inked & primed it for ya... you don't mind right? I mean if they can use it for violins.... I'm all for durability

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2012, 09:23 PM

Don't bother. I still have the ImageWriter II to go with my Macintosh SE. Sadly, no sheet feeder assembly (which I used I own back in the day). Both complete in original packaging, with all documentation.

And WTF ASCII? Macintosh was all about WYSIWYG at 72 DPI, dude.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by blahblahbber View Post
Originally Posted by cgc View Post
I know in the older macs you can go into OF (spare me the key combo, thanks) and meddle with this and many other sorts. I heard you aren't allowed access to the programmer's "button" so to speak as of... introduction of unibody macs?
This is not a firmware function. Startup chime volume is saved in the PRAM, afaik. The utilities are really simple single-purpose scripts that simple change the startup chime volume. No hacking.

cgc
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2012, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by blahblahbber View Post
My G4 Sawtooth Mac and my MacPro both have nearly silenced startup chimes via software. Works like a champ...

blahblahbber
Banned
Dec 13, 2012, 11:13 AM

Don't bother. I still have the ImageWriter II to go with my Macintosh SE. Sadly, no sheet feeder assembly (which I used I own back in the day). Both complete in original packaging, with all documentation.
And WTF ASCII? Macintosh was all about WYSIWYG at 72 DPI, dude.
yeah, just threw in ASCII whether it makes sense or not.... don't really know what else them printers are good for nowadays except to use carbon-copy-featured substrates.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2012, 08:29 PM

This is not a firmware function. Startup chime volume is saved in the PRAM, afaik. The utilities are really simple single-purpose scripts that simple change the startup chime volume. No hacking.
Yup. Unless they've changed it since I got my iMac, the startup chime volume is the same value as the master volume setting. The script probably just mutes the volume before shutdown, and changes it back once the startup items are run.

blahblahbber
Banned
Dec 15, 2012, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Yup. Unless they've changed it since I got my iMac, the startup chime volume is the same value as the master volume setting. The script probably just mutes the volume before shutdown, and changes it back once the startup items are run.
That's what I thought.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2012, 11:07 AM

I'm pretty sure there is actually a separate setting; it's just not user-accessible.

Not that it really matters.

blahblahbber
Banned
Dec 17, 2012, 08:51 AM

I'm pretty sure there is actually a separate setting; it's just not user-accessible.
Not that it really matters.
you can always check the console and find out I think.

Forum Links
Forum Rules