Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple releases iTunes 11 for Mac, Windows

Apple releases iTunes 11 for Mac, Windows
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 29, 2012, 09:50 AM

After more than two months of waiting, Apple has released iTunes 11 for Mac and Windows systems. The app is currently available through Software Update, and is now feature on Apple's iTunes website. Macs must be running OS X 10.6.8 or later; Windows systems need at least Windows XP SP2, a 1GHz processor, and 512MB of RAM.

Version 11 represents the first major visual overhaul of the app in years. A new interface scheme eliminates the need for the sidebar (though it is still available), and significantly upgrades the miniplayer, enabling quick access to search and playlist controls while making artist and song information easier to read. The new iTunes should also boast features like better performance, the Up Next playlist control window, redesigned storefronts, and enhanced sync with iCloud media. Among the new features discovered by readers: users can now redeem iTunes gift cards by showing the code to the built-in camera on most Mac models. The change eliminates users having to manually enter -- often inaccurately on first tries -- the long string of digits and letters that make up a redemption code.

blahblahbber
Banned
Nov 29, 2012, 10:44 AM

Talk about an identity crisis....

And I mean how many times can you REALLY improve iTunes, while NOT meeting users expectations like FLAC support, and extensions?? This is another total BS update as usual.

cashxx
Nov 29, 2012, 11:14 AM

And let the complaining begin.....

ZinkDifferent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2012, 11:48 AM

And I mean how many times can you REALLY improve iTunes, while NOT meeting users expectations like FLAC support
Because no one cares about FLAC - if you want lossless, then use Apple Lossless.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 29, 2012, 11:52 AM

Nice update.

Song info display looks slick... (the yellow display was bland and 11 years old).

Zanziboy
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2012, 12:22 PM

Visually, it's a wonderful update, but it is somewhat buggy!

Playing music previews seems to interfere with the iTune's graphics performance as the app struggles to format the screen at times. This situation often causes a seemingly random jumble of text and artwork on the screen. Although quitting and restarting iTunes resolves the problem, I am looking forward to iTunes 11.1.

FrankMtl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2012, 12:34 PM

Some may not like the new look so choosing View Sidebar under the View menu returns the list on the left-hand side.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2012, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by blahblahbber View Post
Talk about an identity crisis....

And I mean how many times can you REALLY improve iTunes, while NOT meeting users expectations like FLAC support, and extensions?? This is another total BS update as usual.
XLD will transcode FLAC to Apple Lossless in a single step.

http://tmkk.pv.land.to/xld/index_e.html

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2012, 01:30 PM

Is there a terminal plist hack to get the column browser back on the left side?

I *really* need it to be there, as I have an extensive archive, and need to be able to quickly sift through Genre > Artist > Album, all of those being potentially long lists (and thus being pretty much useless at the top, where they eat into the song list.

Widescreen monitors. Default. Y'know? WTF Apple.

Pilsner6910
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2012, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I *really* need it to be there, as I have an extensive archive, and need to be able to quickly sift through Genre > Artist > Album, all of those being potentially long lists (and thus being pretty much useless at the top, where they eat into the song list.
just go to the View menu and select "show sidebar"

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2012, 05:20 PM

They seem to have taken away Cover Flow in Library view, but they still have something like Cover Flow in the Store view, but it doesn't respond to scrolling. You have to click these stupid little buttons.

Viewing the iOS Apps in your Library is still sh!t. But now, if you organize by list view, you can't see the icon anymore. But if you organize by icon, you can't sort by type (games, books, etc). Crap.

The new Album view is pretty but pointless. The only sensible way to navigate your music is Artist view (which was previously called Column View).

Podcast view has way too much empty white space, and hurts to look at. And there's no Browser view, which Music, Movies, and TV Shows still have.

Music Video view is similarly screwed up, since it shows only an image preview and a song title (if the song title fits in the tiny space provided), and there is no sensible way to sort your view. You can't even see the damned artist name or album name. And, bizarrely, a bunch of my music videos now won't play, and a dialogue box says "This movie requires QuickTime, which is not supported by this version of iTunes." Fncking for real?!?

There are lots of complements by people who like the mini player, but I never, ever use it. I always keep iTunes in full screen mode, and see no value in keeping a mini player obscuring my view of my apps.

I'll say it now: this update provides little or no benefit to anyone.

blahblahbber
Banned
Nov 30, 2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
They seem to have taken away Cover Flow in Library view, but they still have something like Cover Flow in the Store view, but it doesn't respond to scrolling. You have to click these stupid little buttons.
Viewing the iOS Apps in your Library is still sh!t. But now, if you organize by list view, you can't see the icon anymore. But if you organize by icon, you can't sort by type (games, books, etc). Crap.
The new Album view is pretty but pointless. The only sensible way to navigate your music is Artist view (which was previously called Column View).
Podcast view has way too much empty white space, and hurts to look at. And there's no Browser view, which Music, Movies, and TV Shows still have.
Music Video view is similarly screwed up, since it shows only an image preview and a song title (if the song title fits in the tiny space provided), and there is no sensible way to sort your view. You can't even see the damned artist name or album name. And, bizarrely, a bunch of my music videos now won't play, and a dialogue box says "This movie requires QuickTime, which is not supported by this version of iTunes." Fncking for real?!?
There are lots of complements by people who like the mini player, but I never, ever use it. I always keep iTunes in full screen mode, and see no value in keeping a mini player obscuring my view of my apps.
I'll say it now: this update provides little or no benefit to anyone.
How about saying "crApple".... it's more like the norm. Also, any update to cryTunes just further hampers jailbreaking, has hardly to do with features. I mean look at it now... still useless, still garbage.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2012, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
No: the column browser is still available in the song list view. Unfortunately, it cannot be placed on the left anymore, which severely limits its usefulness on large libraries – which is the whole point of using it in the first place, IMO.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2012, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by blahblahbber View Post
How about saying "crApple".... it's more like the norm. Also, any update to cryTunes just further hampers jailbreaking, has hardly to do with features. I mean look at it now... still useless, still garbage.
Add something of substance, or Shut. the. ****. Up.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2012, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Pilsner6910 View Post
just go to the View menu and select "show sidebar"
Column browser, not sidebar.

Completely different things.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2012, 03:01 AM

No: the column browser is still available in the song list view. Unfortunately, it cannot be placed on the left anymore, which severely limits its usefulness on large libraries – which is the whole point of using it in the first place, IMO.
Not quite. Column view with single column on the left next to the side bar that shows all your artist names is still available and has been renamed Artist view.

Basically, if you want overhead column browser view, select "Songs," and if your want left column view, select "Artist."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2012, 03:23 AM

I currently have 2212 artists in my archive. Simply showing a list of them is almost useless unless I know exactly what I'm looking for, in which case I can use the search field.

I would like THREE columns: Genre > Artist > Album.

I get this with the column browser, but only at the top of a vertical list, rather than to the left of it. Why?

ButisitArt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2012, 08:19 AM

For anyone who may have upgraded and would like iTunes 10.7 back. I've put together a how to on my blog. It works ... and no error -42408.

Downgrade iTunes 11 to iTunes 10.7

Hope it helps.

Pilsner6910
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2012, 10:11 AM

oh right, my bad.
do you mean at the top where the tabs are songs, albums, artists...yadda yadda
if i select songs instead of albums is shows my entire list of music in columns with NAme, time, artist, genre etc.?
otherwise i guess i just never used columns like you have and dont understand what you mean lol

edit. when i have songs tab selected i can goto menu and view options where i can select which columns i want to be displayed.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 2, 2012, 10:17 AM

Bug Report:

iTunes does not remember when I change the "Start Time" of a song from one marker to another. I double-click on the song after I change its "Start Time," iTunes does not start the song from the new "Start Time" that I want. It starts the song from the "Time of Last Played," even if it is different from the "Start Time." This makes "Start Time" useless since it doesn't work anymore.

Not too thrilled about this as I want to skip some of the ads in the beginning of some (most) podcasts.

Second Bug Report:

Sometimes the option to convert to AAC appears when I second-click on a podcast; sometimes the option isn't there (the contextual menu has slightly fewer options). In order to fix this, I have to change my display from Podcasts to Music, then back to Podcasts, and even then that only sometimes works.

And why are the buttons/menus for the iTunes Store and my music sections in just randomly-chosen corners?

This is starting to feel more like MusicMatch Jukebox than iTunes.

Getting less thrilled with this update

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2012, 11:03 AM

oh right, my bad.
do you mean at the top where the tabs are songs, albums, artists...yadda yadda
if i select songs instead of albums is shows my entire list of music in columns with NAme, time, artist, genre etc.?
otherwise i guess i just never used columns like you have and dont understand what you mean lol

edit. when i have songs tab selected i can goto menu and view options where i can select which columns i want to be displayed.
I don't need it to show columns with info. I KNOW it can do that.

I need FILTERS.

I have over 2000 artists, in several hundred genres, and 70000+ titles.
Just showing me a list of artists to scroll through it completely useless.

I can show the column browser—the function is still there, but I can no longer place it TO THE LEFT. That's all I'm complaining about, and it's the difference between needlessly annoying and a real help for navigating my archive.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2012, 11:59 AM

I don't need it to show columns with info. I KNOW it can do that.
I need FILTERS.
I have over 2000 artists, in several hundred genres, and 70000+ titles.
Just showing me a list of artists to scroll through it completely useless.
I can show the column browser—the function is still there, but I can no longer place it TO THE LEFT. That's all I'm complaining about, and it's the difference between needlessly annoying and a real help for navigating my archive.
I think I found a solution to your problem. Here's what you do:

Create Smart Playlists for every genre in your library. Then click on each of those genre playlists, and in the top right corner, there is a drop-down menu called View. From there, pick Artist List.

Now you have an effective Genre/Artist/Album filter without using the overhead Column Browser.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2012, 01:31 PM

Did you miss that I have 516 genres?

I actually NEED playlists on a regular basis for my job. Like, normal playlists. The kind everybody sets up. Thematically connected stuff, you know. Project-related stuff.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2012, 09:46 PM

Sorry, man, just trying to help. Sheesh.

Pilsner6910
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2012, 07:14 AM

ok first off, dont be a beeeeyotch.
we are only trying to help you, if you dont appreciate that then F off psycho

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2012, 09:30 AM

ok first off, dont be a beeeeyotch.
we are only trying to help you, if you dont appreciate that then F off psycho
Where did I insult you?

Where was I offensive?

Where was I not appreciative?

I was merely explaining for the third time what the function was that was essential to the way I work, and why I miss it.

Apologies if you misread twice or three times, but it certainly wasn't my intent to offend.

So pack up your pissy tone and shove it up your keister.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2012, 12:15 PM

This is how it works:

Ham Sandwich
Dec 10, 2012, 05:51 AM

Here's another bug that never used to exist (i.e., even as far back as iTunes 1.0):

While a song is playing, if I change the title/artist, the information is no longer updated in the display at the top until I double-click the re-titled song.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 10, 2012, 09:32 AM

Frankly: who cares? Does it still stutter briefly when saving metadata?

Ham Sandwich
Dec 11, 2012, 03:42 PM

I think so... I mean it's been a (minor) pest since version 10 but who cares? At least truthful information about the track used to be displayed.

Bug report #3:

When I press the >> button... if the second subsequent track is a radio station, then iTunes insists on pre-loading the radio station, which sometimes causes iTunes to show the buffer progress bar for no apparent reason at all while another song plays. This never used to happen either.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 12, 2012, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
When I press the >> button... if the second subsequent track is a radio station, then iTunes insists on pre-loading the radio station, which sometimes causes iTunes to show the buffer progress bar for no apparent reason at all while another song plays. This never used to happen either.
This seems like exactly the way I would expect it to work.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Could you explain in more detail what exactly you're doing? I can check on both the new and the previous versions of iTunes (I'm not moving my main library machine over for a while yet, and probably not before I'm getting left-hand column browsing back).

Ham Sandwich
Dec 13, 2012, 06:14 AM

Here's what I'm doing:

I have Shuffle in my library.
My songs are:

Track 1 (currently playing)
Track 2 (some song)
Track 3 (radio station)

When playing Track 1 and I click >> , it's supposed to start playing Track 2, but it starts playing Track 2 while it also tries to pre-load Track 3 (so if the radio station has a slow connection it's stuck buffering and I lose control of iTunes for a moment).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2012, 11:05 AM

Ah, excellent!

So it's finally pre-buffering, so that there's no longer that awkward pause if a stream comes up next, and the music stops while it buffers.

Good catch!

Seems for everything that broke, there's two or three cool little details that they've thought of.

Nice one, Apple.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 13, 2012, 04:22 PM

I haven't had any problem before when I go to track 2, though between track 2 and track 3 (if radio) I expect there to be a gap.

Hold that thought... iTunes 11.0.1 is coming out.

Installing...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2012, 03:40 AM

That's the point. iTunes is supposed to play music. Having it take a break for network buffering is not expected behavior.

YOU may expect it, because you're conditioned to.

But that doesn't change that you're complaining about something that has actually been *fixed*.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 14, 2012, 07:26 AM

Looks like it's fixed in iTunes 11.0.1.

Ham Sandwich
Dec 23, 2012, 12:32 PM

Could someone tell me how to bring back the info bar that tells me how much space I have left on my iPod shuffle? I've been searching all over when the progress bar fills up (EDIT: Nevermind, I found it, I had to hover my mouse over it to see... this is annoying).

Ham Sandwich
Dec 30, 2012, 11:17 AM

Could someone tell me where the hell the option went for me to take a home video and convert it to iPod format so that I can add it to iPhoto and sync it with my iPod? Once again with this new iTunes I can't find it anywhere.

Looks like it's fixed in iTunes 11.0.1.
Update: No it's not. You have to add the song, remove it, restart iTunes, then add it back and do it again to get it to work.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 12, 2013, 04:21 PM

Could someone tell me where the hell the option went for me to take a home video and convert it to iPod format so that I can add it to iPhoto and sync it with my iPod? Once again with this new iTunes I can't find it anywhere.

Found the option... not in iTunes, but in Quicktime X:

File > Export To... > iTunes > iPod & iPhone
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Jan 12, 2013 at 05:17 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules