Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > iOS pirating sites Hackulous, Apptrackr shut down

iOS pirating sites Hackulous, Apptrackr shut down
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 31, 2012, 06:15 AM

Two important sites for pirated iOS apps -- Hackulous and Apptrackr -- have suddenly announced their closures over the weekend, notes AppleInsider. A statement from Hackulous claims that the site's community has become "stagnant," and that its forums "are a bit of a ghost town." In spite of this, the site's owners say that it's become hard to keep the forums online and well-moderated.

A Hackulous app was installed on jailbroken iOS devices, and tied into Apptrackr, a service that delivered pirated apps through a web interface. Apptrackr likewise blames its closure on a lack of traffic, but two sources familiar with the sites tell TorrentFreak that there was still plenty of activity. If so, it's not clear why the sites are actually disappearing. One possibility is that jailbreaking iOS has become too difficult. iOS 6 still hasn't been properly jailbroken, which may be killing demand for pirated apps, at least with users that have upgraded to the latest firmware. Although an exploit could be found in time, it may not arrive soon enough to help the ad revenue of outfits like Hackulous.

SockRolid
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2012, 09:57 AM

One possibility is that jailbreaking iOS has become too difficult.
Oh well. Jailbreakers can still get their sick thrills by stealing candy bars from 7-11.
And they'll be saving about the same amount of cash.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Oh well. Jailbreakers can still get their sick thrills by stealing candy bars from 7-11.
And they'll be saving about the same amount of cash.
There are reasons to jailbreak that have nothing to do with pirating software, it is not accurate to paint with a wide brush like this.

SJBMusic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2012, 12:18 PM

Agreed. My sister moved to Thailand, and needed a phone that would work in another country longterm. Her options were to jailbreak the phone she had been using for a while or buy new with no subsidies in Thailand. Unfortunately, while I'm usually her go-to guy, I was not comfortable suggesting jailbreaking to her, so she paid through the nose for a new one overseas, selling her used one here too cheap in a hurry.

She was never looking for pirated apps.

But the context of this article *is* pirated apps, so SolidRock wasn't too far off base, either.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 31, 2012, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by SJBMusic View Post
Agreed. My sister moved to Thailand, and needed a phone that would work in another country longterm. Her options were to jailbreak the phone she had been using for a while or buy new with no subsidies in Thailand. Unfortunately, while I'm usually her go-to guy, I was not comfortable suggesting jailbreaking to her, so she paid through the nose for a new one overseas, selling her used one here too cheap in a hurry.
She was never looking for pirated apps.
But the context of this article *is* pirated apps, so SolidRock wasn't too far off base, either.
Just call them pirates then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules