Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Larry Page: Facebook doing 'a really bad job' on products

Larry Page: Facebook doing 'a really bad job' on products
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 17, 2013, 08:40 PM

In a new and rare interview with Wired's Steven Levy, Google CEO Larry Page held court on a variety of tasks. On the topic of rival Facebook, Page said that they were "strong" in its market, but also believes that the company is doing " a really bad job on [its] products." He took a moment to take a few shots at Apple, saying that he found the Cupertino business model of doing a few things well "unsatisfying." When asked about Steve Jobs' famous "thermonuclear" comment, he asked "how well is that working?" which dodged the fundamental accusation that Android is a "stolen" operating system.

The interview discusses Page's "Project X" initiative at some length, and he feels that "there are all these opportunities in the world to use technology to make people's lives better. At Google we're attacking maybe 0.1 percent of that space. And all the tech companies combined are only at like one percent. That means there's 99 percent virgin territory." Most of Page's answers were quizzical, and short on actual content, like most CEO press interviews. When asked to evaluate Google+, he responded with just that he was happy with how it was gone, not providing any additional information. Following the response about the "thermonuclear" threats by Apple, and asked about Android's market share lead, he merely said that Android had been successful and "we're very excited about it."
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jan 18, 2013 at 03:55 AM. )

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2013, 10:51 PM

1. Actually, Larry, the "war" is going pretty well for Apple, but unlike your AADD-addled brain, Apple is playing a long game. So far, you spent $12B on Moto for nothing, ended up under two consent decrees for your monopolistic business practices, and have legal bills the size of most countries' GNP related to your use of FRAND as a legal weapon to try and hurt competitors. How's that working out FOR YOU?

2. The head of the company that started Google Buzz, Dodgeball, Wave (I think that's what it was called?), Notebook and Page Creator (among MANY OTHER flops, including Google+) really doesn't have any business telling another company (particularly FB) they're not innovating enough or handling their products badly. Except maybe Microsoft, for them I think the comment would be on-target.

3. What I find odd about this whole "war" between Apple and Google is how the press just IGNORES how badly Google is losing. Yes, Android is used on more phones than iOS: I'm not sure it's as "popular" (as in loved) as iOS, but it definitely moves a lot of units in the same sense that most mediocre products outsell premium products (and for the same reason). But GOOGLE ITSELF loses MILLIONS if not BILLIONS on Android annually, and that's BEFORE you count the money they spent on Motorola Mobility for, so far, nothing. They don't make anything from Android, and it bleeds money like a sieve. If MS was having the same problem with Windows Phone, Wall Street would pronounce it dead and turn MSFT into a penny stock.

The only people making serious money off Android are Samsung, the carriers (Google's customer for Android) and (ironically) Microsoft, which earns a TON in royalties from all that um "borrowed" code Google ended up having to license. As a *business*, Android is a DISASTER being propped up by the advertising side. Can't wait to see what happens to Android (and its users!) when Google finally decides to stop losing money on it.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jan 18, 2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
1. Actually, Larry, the "war" is going pretty well for Apple, but unlike your AADD-addled brain, Apple is playing a long game. So far, you spent $12B on Moto for nothing, ended up under two consent decrees for your monopolistic business practices, and have legal bills the size of most countries' GNP related to your use of FRAND as a legal weapon to try and hurt competitors. How's that working out FOR YOU?

2. The head of the company that started Google Buzz, Dodgeball, Wave (I think that's what it was called?), Notebook and Page Creator (among MANY OTHER flops, including Google+) really doesn't have any business telling another company (particularly FB) they're not innovating enough or handling their products badly. Except maybe Microsoft, for them I think the comment would be on-target.

3. What I find odd about this whole "war" between Apple and Google is how the press just IGNORES how badly Google is losing. Yes, Android is used on more phones than iOS: I'm not sure it's as "popular" (as in loved) as iOS, but it definitely moves a lot of units in the same sense that most mediocre products outsell premium products (and for the same reason). But GOOGLE ITSELF loses MILLIONS if not BILLIONS on Android annually, and that's BEFORE you count the money they spent on Motorola Mobility for, so far, nothing. They don't make anything from Android, and it bleeds money like a sieve. If MS was having the same problem with Windows Phone, Wall Street would pronounce it dead and turn MSFT into a penny stock.

The only people making serious money off Android are Samsung, the carriers (Google's customer for Android) and (ironically) Microsoft, which earns a TON in royalties from all that um "borrowed" code Google ended up having to license. As a *business*, Android is a DISASTER being propped up by the advertising side. Can't wait to see what happens to Android (and its users!) when Google finally decides to stop losing money on it.

Dude, you should TRY DECAF which might HELP YOU from periodically spouting ANGRY SHOUTS in caps.

Just sayin.

SockRolid
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2013, 02:09 PM

@ chas_m Re: "Android is a DISASTER being propped up by the advertising side."

Yup. And Google has a serious "China problem." Never had more than 29% of search engine traffic in China, and as we all know, that's Google's bread and butter. Because of the banner ads and paid search placement.

And there are 70 competing Android "app stores" available in Beijing alone. None of which earns a single yuan for Google. Here's a quote from Eric Schmidt at Le Web conference, December 2011:

I counted more than 70 (app) stores of one kind or another, and I was just in Beijing. ... It’s a real problem and we’re working on that.
I wonder how many competing app stores there are now, more than a year later.
And how well is that going, Larry?

Sebastien
Jan 18, 2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Grendelmon View Post
Dude, you should TRY DECAF which might HELP YOU from periodically spouting ANGRY SHOUTS in caps.

Just sayin.
+1.

Forum Links
Forum Rules