Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Kayak: iOS use is 3x the amount of Android use

Kayak: iOS use is 3x the amount of Android use
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 21, 2013, 02:37 PM

In survey after survey, Apple's iOS platform wallops its rival Android in a number of key metrics other than overall sales, but nowhere is the disparity so lopsided as in web use. Although Android phones (in combination) outsell iOS phones most of the time, and are heavily pushed by carriers because Android allows the experience fragmentation and customization that Apple will not, looking at web usage stats most people would conclude that Android phones are little-used beyond the most basic phone, game and music-player functions.

In such surveys, the iPhone can account for anywhere up to 70 percent or more of mobile smartphone web browsing, and a clear majority of other online activity such as streaming video or online shopping. The latest data point, reported by Business Insider, comes directly from the creator of one of the web's most popular travel sites, Kayak. Bill O'Donnell says that while Android visits to his site and use of the Android version of his app are slowly growing, iOS users make up three times as many visitors. O'Donnell's theory is that Android buyers simply ask for a smartphone, and buy based on specific features or the lowest price. Based on visits to carrier's stores to test new models, he thinks that many customers get steered to Android by salespeople because they didn't specifically request an iPhone. Buyers who want an iPhone, he says, ask for it by name and want the overall experience and feature set of iPhones. He adds that until recently, his theory on the disparate browsing and use results of iPhones came from the idea that iPhone (and iPad) buyers are aware that the device is a "mini-computer" and use it as such, replacing most of the day-to-day functions of other computers. Android users, he thinks, tend to stick to the core functions more because many Android phones are far less feature-rich than the typical smartphone, some barely qualifying for the designation. As more of the top-end of Android phones and tablets catch on and the Android OS improves, users are discovering more of the "mini-computer" functions and, like iPhone users, taking advantage of a more full range of the device's capabilities. If true, the recent change in behavior among Android buyers could have marked effects on the smartphone industry, including more development for Android apps. It could also mean an eventual increase in the notoriously low rate of paid app return or in-app purchasing, which would raise the profitability of the platform -- a crucial measure that would strengthen the platform's future.

viktorob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2013, 07:54 PM

All the people I know who has Android devices have a little program to hack into WEP Wifi networks, I think that means that they have no money to spend in 3g - 4g data or any other type of celular data.
I'm not saying that all Android users are that way, just the ones I know or I have see.
iOS users in the other hand, don't bother installing those stealing apps (even that you could using jailbreak) because most of the time they don't care paying for Celular data. Just my 2 cents.

andi*pandi
Jan 21, 2013, 09:19 PM

The Kayak app is very useful and well done.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2013, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by viktorob View Post
All the people I know who has Android devices have a little program to hack into WEP Wifi networks
Stay classy, Android users ...
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jan 22, 2013, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by viktorob View Post
All the people I know who has Android devices have a little program to hack into WEP Wifi networks, I think that means that they have no money to spend in 3g - 4g data or any other type of celular data.
I'm not saying that all Android users are that way, just the ones I know or I have see.
iOS users in the other hand, don't bother installing those stealing apps (even that you could using jailbreak) because most of the time they don't care paying for Celular data. Just my 2 cents.
What a ridiculous statement. I know that you're trying to make sense and sound objective, but your generalized statement about iOS users is purely speculation on your part.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2013, 07:09 PM

A lot of the people I know with Android devices avoid doing things on it that might make it crash. Surfing the web happens to be one of those activities that cause Android to crash, a lot. So the just use it as a phone with touch screen buttons. Nothing more. Most of the Android users I know use iPods to listen to music to boot.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

blahblahbber
Banned
Jan 24, 2013, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
A lot of the people I know with Android devices avoid doing things on it that might make it crash. Surfing the web happens to be one of those activities that cause Android to crash, a lot. So the just use it as a phone with touch screen buttons. Nothing more. Most of the Android users I know use iPods to listen to music to boot.
They are not tech-savvy so what do you expect?

blahblahbber
Banned
Jan 24, 2013, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Stay classy, Android users ...
the N900 from nokia can do this too.... so what is your comment about there chasszzzi?

iphonerulez
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2013, 01:20 PM

Apple could probably gain huge amounts of mobile smartphone share if they bothered to offer salespeople incentives to push the iPhone. Apple could easily make back whatever small incentives they'd give to salespeople. That's one reason why Apple's share price is in the toilet. The company is such a tightwad with money and all Apple is doing is alienating shareholders and potential investors. Too many spineless executives at Apple ruining the stock's value.

Forum Links
Forum Rules