Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > iOS 6.1 now available through iTunes, OTA updates [u]

iOS 6.1 now available through iTunes, OTA updates [u]
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 28, 2013, 02:41 PM

(Updated with security, Apple TV info) Apple has officially released iOS 6.1 for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. The update is available through iTunes or as an over-the-air download, and makes several important tweaks. For instance, it enables LTE on the extended number of carriers Apple announced last week; an official list has been posted on the company's website.

Siri has been upgraded with the ability to buy movie tickets through Fandango, but only in the US. All iTunes Match subscribers, though, should now be able to download individual songs via iCloud. A minor addition is a new button allowing people to reset the advertising identifier. The update requires at least an iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, or fourth-generation iPod touch. The size of the download depends on the device being updated. Update: A security note identifies fixes to vulnerabilities in Identity Services, Unicode, WebKit, and Wi-Fi, among other areas. Apple has also released new firmware for the Apple TV, v5.2, since that device's interface is based on iOS. Users can download the update through the set-top itself.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Feb 1, 2013 at 04:11 AM. )

Stuke
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2013, 03:16 PM

...did Apple fix the Safari / iCloud / bookmarks / sync issue that 100s (maybe 1000s) of iPhone/iPad/iPod touch users have been discussing on their Support Forum with this release?

100s of pages of discussion on the topic of draining batteries, overheating, iCloud on/off, Safari bookmark.db syncing issues MUST have been noticed. And the PR of Apple gently admitting to the issue by saying something like "address Safari bookmark sync from upgraded iOS5 systems" would be enough.

I'll wait weeks before updating after spending months combating this problem on my iDevices. Let's hope the same discussions show signs of a fix with iOS6.1 updaters.
--
Stuke

SockRolid
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2013, 03:25 PM

A minor addition is a new button allowing people to reset the advertising identifier.
Just FYI: the Advertising Identifier reset button is buried way down in Settings -> General -> About -> Advertising. There's also an on/off switch for the "Limit Ad Tracking" setting.
Sent from my iPad Simulator

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2013, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Stuke View Post
...did Apple fix the Safari / iCloud / bookmarks / sync issue that 100s (maybe 1000s) of iPhone/iPad/iPod touch users have been discussing on their Support Forum with this release?
I'm on an iPhone 4 so maybe that precludes me from having this issue, but not only is this not the case with me, I've never even heard of it until just now (and I have probably 200 iPhone owners who would have asked me about it if they were experiencing the issue, as I'm their primary Apple 'tech support.').

IME most of the reports you see in any forum (even Apple's) are from user error, but even allowing for that it does sound like some users are having odd issues there. Might want to take the opportunity of this fresh new release to do a "clean install" and restore as long as you have to upgrade anyway and see if that doesn't mitigate the issues.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2013, 06:12 PM

I had an issue recently on my iPad 2 (but never on my iPhone 4S) where Safari bookmarks didn't show up (it was blank, with only the default set of bookmarks) for about a day, but it was fixed after I killed Safari and restarted it.

I did not see any draining of the battery, though.

mojkarma
Jan 29, 2013, 04:00 AM

@chas_m
The bookmarks were disappearing and coming back twice on my iphone 4 after upgrading to ios6. Of course, I did nothing wrong. Sorry, but you could stop talking constantly about errors on the users side just because you and your army of iphone owners didn't experienced something similar. I feel offended when somebody talks generally and put the guilt into the shoe of the user.
It's dead simply: you open safari on the iphone by pressing the icon, you want to select a bookmark and there is no bookmark. It's gone and you have no idea why. Even an idiot couldn't make the bookmarks disappear.

Bezoar23
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2013, 03:28 AM

since bot my wife and myself updated to 6.1 to our 4S's, our battery life went in the tank. I got on an Apple forum and posed this predicament. One user told me it isn't true and to re download the update from iTunes. Another user said he was having the same issue. So, I guess I'll wait to see how many complaints this issue brings
Mac User since 1993

Forum Links
Forum Rules