Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Original iPad not recognizes iTunes 10

Original iPad not recognizes iTunes 10
generdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2013, 09:01 PM

Original iPad not recognized by iTunes
iMac, OSX 10.6, iTunes 10

I just installed 10.6.8 on my 2007 iMac, from 10.5. Now when I connect the iPad to the computer, iPhoto opens and shows the iPad as a device. iTunes does not open, nor does the iPad show up in iTunes when I open iTunes. I have reset the iPad, restarted the computer and tried a different usb port.
The iPad acts fine on my MBP, 10.6.8.
This didn't happen until I switched to Snow Leopard. Also, with 10.5 I had iTunes 10.6.3 (25), the same version that is on the MBP now.
Following is one response which ultimately has not worked:
….
First launch iPhoto on the Mac and go to iPhoto>Preferences>General>Connecting Camera opens>No application. Quit iPhoto.
Launch iTunes and go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices. Uncheck the box that says Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically - if the box is checked. Click OK and quit iTunes.
Launch System Prefences and click on Users & Groups. Click on your account. Click on login Items. Check the box next to iTunes Helper to make sure it is enabled. You may have to use your administrator password to make changes here. Quit System Preferences.
Restart the Mac and then try to sync again.
If you are running iTunes 11 - go to View>Show Sidebar in the menu at the top of the screen. When the sidebar is visible, it makes everything that you do as far as syncing is concerned a little bit easier.
This is my response to the previous suggestion
thanks but it didn't work. It still opens iPhoto. And I can't seem to save that Preference in iPhoto - after I restart, *the iPhoto Preferences still says to open iPhoto, ignoring my trying to change it to No Application. I also tried to connect the iPad without shutting down while I still had the iPhoto preference changed to No application.

ibook_steve
Feb 11, 2013, 02:46 PM

It sounds like iPhoto is grabbing the device for some reason. What happens if you're in iPhoto and you "eject" the iPad from iPhoto (clicking the little eject icon next to it)? Also, you may try deleting your iPhoto preferences file to see if you can get the setting to stick. I think it's com.apple.iPhoto.plist in your user folder/Library/Preferences.

Also, you could try opening Image Capture to see if there are settings messed up in there that might be causing this.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

generdude  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2013, 03:22 PM

Thank you, ibook_steve.
I tried a lot of different fixes and the only one that worked was to upgrade to ios 6 and iTunes 11, which is ok except I don't like the new iTunes very much.

andi*pandi
Feb 13, 2013, 10:38 AM

you and many others, dude!

Chito
Senior User
Feb 20, 2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by generdude View Post
Thank you, ibook_steve.
I tried a lot of different fixes and the only one that worked was to upgrade to ios 6 and iTunes 11, which is ok except I don't like the new iTunes very much.
How are you running iOS 6 on an original iPad? My original 32GB wi-fi model won't upgrade past iOS 5.1.1
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

andi*pandi
Feb 20, 2013, 02:05 PM

good catch! I can't update my orig iPad either. Hmm.

Forum Links
Forum Rules