Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Dice+ Bluetooth-enabled six-sided die developer kit released

Dice+ Bluetooth-enabled six-sided die developer kit released
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Mar 26, 2013, 09:32 PM

European company Game Technologies today announced that it is officially launching its site for game designers wanting to develop products using its Bluetooth-enabled Dice+. The company is inviting game developers to create digital board games for tablets, and is making the developer's kit available for the iOS and Android platforms with a special-edition Dice+ unit with a clear housing.

The Dice+ is a six-sided die, with features including an accelerometer, a magnetic field sensor, Bluetooth 2.1 and 4.0 compatibility, independent touch-sensitive faces, six LEDs that can glow in any color, a 20-hour battery, a microUSB port for charging, and a thermometer.

David Gatti, marketing and PR director at Game Technologies, said of the SDK release that "we believe people are wired to play games in the company of each other. We can't just ignore 5,000 years of board games evolution -- and now we know we can deliver this great experience to powered board games."

The designers of the Dice+ have built seven games which will be available upon full launch of the device. Users signing up for the $99 developer's kit will be able to download the SDK to allow for creation of games using the technology and all the integrated sensors.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; Mar 27, 2013 at 04:03 AM. )

ElectroTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2013, 12:59 AM

A random number generator that you swipe on a touch screen would be cheaper and better. The swipe would provide the seed information for the generator. This device screams to be killed early on before they waste money commercializing it.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Mar 27, 2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by ElectroTech View Post
A random number generator that you swipe on a touch screen would be cheaper and better. The swipe would provide the seed information for the generator. This device screams to be killed early on before they waste money commercializing it.

I disagree. I think it would add a "fun" element of interaction for any game. Especially for children.

I could see this adding a lot of fun to electronic versions of D&D, Yahtzee, etc.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2013, 01:09 PM

let's play.... oh, wait. I forgot to charge it last night. Well.. maybe some other time. 3 years later, where's that dice thingy. Look, I found it.... under my dusty desk. Oh dawn it. I need to replace battery because it's no longer charging.
My son bought this Hot Wheel car that interactive with iPad. It lasted for one day and he's through with it. I see this digital dice is a great toy for short term play. People like convenient when they are on iPad. iPad usage habit = personal space, not shared.

Forum Links
Forum Rules