Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Rumor has Mac Pro replacement being announced in April

Rumor has Mac Pro replacement being announced in April
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 8, 2013, 04:55 PM

Apple is planning to announce a next-generation Mac Pro -- or a replacement -- sometime this month, a source tells MacDailyNews. No other information has emerged, but the website claims that the source has been right about other Apple products in the past. It did correctly predict the renaming of iPhone OS to iOS, and prices for iCloud subscriptions.

The Mac Pro is typically considered long overdue for a refresh. The last major update took place in 2010; a 2012 specification bump was so minor that Apple quickly removed the "New" tag next to the product at the online Apple store. CEO Tim Cook has also promised new hardware sometime this year. If the company is planning a replacement, though, it's unclear what if anything would be different, beyond improved performance.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Apr 9, 2013 at 02:46 AM. )

SergioRS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2013, 06:12 PM

The current Pro's size is largely due to the casing being carried over from the wind tunnel G5 models - they could reduce the size and still be able to cool more modern CPUs and allow for 4 PCI slots.

sdp4462
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2013, 06:13 PM

Long overdue, that's the understatement of the century. I could not be more pissed about this "extended" upgrade time. Oh wait, I could be more pissed... they stripped RSS from iOS 6 and OS 10.8...

irving47
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2013, 06:40 PM

For the love of god, cut the size of the thing in half and give me a reasonably sized/priced desktop. All I want is something I can plug one or two cards into for extra (powered) USB slots and a better graphics card for TF2. If it's $2500 starting price again, I have to jump ship or do OSX86 I refuse to buy less and less accessible/repairable hardware for my desktop. If we can get a "server" in the form of an optical-free mini, we can have a prosumer desktop with at least SOME expandability.

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2013, 07:21 PM

for pro/business that needs more than a 2 year window of support (rosetta?) - not everyone can only look forward or reinvent their developed workflows simply for a hardware replacement/upgrade...

Sebastien
Apr 9, 2013, 09:09 AM

It's called Mac Mini with Mac OS X Server

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2013, 11:59 AM

No matter what Apple does, people will complain. If it's still huge, people will complain it's still too huge. If it's smaller, people will complain there aren't enough internal expansion options.

I can see Apple doing several risky things: no optical drive bays, and SDD-only for internal storage. That's pretty much the only way to make this beast smaller. They might also reduce the number of expansion slots.

But this beast will always be priced for the Pro market. Don't expect anything cheaper than a $2000 machine.

Sebastien
Apr 9, 2013, 03:22 PM

"But this beast will always be priced for the Pro market."

Apple has shown time and again that it's not interested in the professional market anymore.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2013, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastien View Post
"But this beast will always be priced for the Pro market."

Apple has shown time and again that it's not interested in the professional market anymore.
At least, you have been claiming it time and again.

Don't worry, I'm not interested in arguing it yet again. I just won't let your assertion stand as if it were some agreed-upon truth.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2013, 03:35 PM

I don't understand why, if this rumour were true, they would NOT announce it at (or coinciding with) the NAB.

Makes it difficult to believe.

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2013, 05:46 PM

Is, and has been dead, for quite a long time now.

Sebastien
Apr 9, 2013, 08:21 PM

it seems, eh Spheric Harlot?

Originally Posted by Arne_Saknussemm View Post
Is, and has been dead, for quite a long time now.

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2013, 12:06 AM

With Apple abandoning the pros, both in OS development and hardware, users who need high end systems (and when you need an 16 core system you need it bad...) Are only left with MS Windows (and it's obsession of wasting the screen real estate of a desktop to turn it into a tablet), or the chaos that Linux is now becoming.

Certainly a dark are is upon work station users.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2013, 02:51 AM

Oh, so you're not talking about professionals.

You're talking about workstation users.

Yes, and 10.8 introduced a Firewire audio bug that bit a number of pros, including me. Except it was a LOT less serious and more easily worked around by driver updates than similar issues in earlier OS updates, back when Apple still cared about us. Some of them even made our external drives inaccessible, IIRC (memory is hazy - it's been such a long time since Apple cared and still introduced such nasties as they massively updated core technology).

It is such dark days for us, now that the OS development languishes and I am no longer able to work with it...why am I happier with it than I've ever been?

Sebastien
Apr 10, 2013, 09:10 AM

Which also happen to use workstations, sometimes, but not always.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sebastien View Post
Which also happen to use workstations, sometimes, but not always.
The number of professionals who actually need towers today — even media professionals — is vanishingly small.

The computing world has changed substantially and fundamentally in the past fifteen years.

Apple do just fine catering to the vast majority of "professionals", just like they always have. There is always a vocal slither of the market that Apple doesn't please. But you know, Apple has been neglecting the professional market quite consequently for at least fifteen years. Back then it was high-end rendering machines that had to be running Linux or Windows, due to Apple not caring. Today, it's high-end rendering machines that some people with their myopic perspective appear to equate with "The Pro Market" that Apple is neglecting. In ten years' time, it'll probably be high-end rendering machines that Apple, the bastards, simply aren't caring enough about.
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Apr 10, 2013 at 10:07 AM. )

Sebastien
Apr 10, 2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Don't worry, I'm not interested in arguing it yet again.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Whatever.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2013, 03:21 PM

Yeah. I know. I got sucked in again.

Apologies for contributing to the idiocy and feeding the trolls. I should know better and just stick to the discussions over in the regular forums.

pwfletcher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2013, 05:05 PM

It is about time ... I have been waiting FOREVER!

scoven
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2013, 06:13 PM

Well. Looks like the wait continues....

Forum Links
Forum Rules