Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple CEO hints no major product announcements until fall

Apple CEO hints no major product announcements until fall
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Apr 23, 2013, 06:19 PM

Speaking during a conference call following the company's Q2 results, Apple CEO Tim Cook hinted that the company may have no major product launches until the fall. He refused to talk about the specific timing for particular devices, but told analysts that there is "great stuff coming in the fall and across 2014." The statement may quash rumors of summer updates for the iPhone and/or the iPad and iPad mini.

Significantly, Cook also indicated that Apple is continuing to look into products in new categories, but with no other details. Apple has been widely reported as looking into two main product types: smartwatches and TVs. While there has been little news about an Apple TV set in recent months, it's believed that the company could launch a watch as soon as this fall.

The watch is expected to integrate with iPhones and/or iPads, and handle any number of tasks, ranging from calling and texting to GPS functions and health tracking. It's uncertain to what extent it will be able to operate independently of other Apple devices.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2013, 07:15 PM

It may also be that he was referring to only new models, and not counting any normal "spec bump" type updates. I think the wording was meant to be a "dog whistle" to analysts to kill off the ridiculous iPad and iPhone rumours, but I hope he wasn't including the revamped Mac Pro. I'm really feeling sorry for people waiting on that ... hopefully we'll get a little clarification from him on that particular product.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

reader50
Administrator
Apr 23, 2013, 08:15 PM

The tardy Mac Pro was the first thing I thought of too. I'm hoping the question context was consumer devices.

AlohaMacintosh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2013, 09:54 PM

TIm Cook is a POS in my opinion...the man has no personality or energy at all...it's liked he's drugged. There is a movement to rid Apple of him...I sincerely hope it succeeds. Does ANYONE actually like this guy?

AlohaMacintosh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2013, 09:55 PM

and yes....the MacPro was the first thing that I thought of also....Apple..you make me ill.

bigpoppa206
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2013, 09:59 PM

Tim Cook is doing just fine. Like you could do better.

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2013, 10:06 PM

Aha!, so the Mac Pro is a wanted item; thought pros could do perfectly fine with iMacs

robot prom
Forum Regular
Apr 23, 2013, 10:27 PM

If the Mac Pro isn't revised by summer, we're moving our labs to iMacs. It'll save us money, and cost Apple quite a bit in lost revenue.

Marook
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2013, 04:37 AM

"Aha!, so the Mac Pro is a wanted item; thought pros could do perfectly fine with iMacs"
Yeah, right, because the iMac has multiple ethernet connections, high bandwidth fiber SAN connections and so on.. right!
Marook
At least - it's a reply...

P
Apr 24, 2013, 04:51 AM

There are many reasons to want a Mac Pro, but lack of network ports is not one of them - there are Thunderbolt ports with lots of bandwidth and USB 3.0 with slightly less, and there are Ethernet adapters for both.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2013, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Arne_Saknussemm View Post
Aha!, so the Mac Pro is a wanted item; thought pros could do perfectly fine with iMacs
Most do.

Some can't.

What is your problem? Logic? Ego? Time?

ccurtisny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2013, 10:31 AM

no, most pros CAN'T "make do" with iMacs. What about those of us that do need things like multiple hard drives, dual ethernet, GOOD MONITORS (the professional kind, like Eizo - not the shiny glare inducing imac kind), PCI slots, etc. Just because YOU don't need a MacPro, don't assume everyone else doesn't.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2013, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by ccurtisny View Post
no, most pros CAN'T "make do" with iMacs. What about those of us that do need things like multiple hard drives, dual ethernet, GOOD MONITORS (the professional kind, like Eizo - not the shiny glare inducing imac kind), PCI slots, etc. Just because YOU don't need a MacPro, don't assume everyone else doesn't.
You are most certainly not "most" pros.

You also haven't seen the new iMac displays, but that's kind of beside the point.

I remember when most "pros" (that, of course, Apple was completely neglecting, as they always are) were graphics designers. They're all on Mac minis, iMacs, and laptops with external displays, these days.

The subset of pros that need a tower these days is a tiny sliver of the market, and FWIW, many of those couldn't care less about glossy displays (being in audio, not video). For some reason, people from this market segment often need to imply that people who don't need towers cannot really be pros.

This isn't 1999. It's 2013. An iPad has more horsepower than your high-end workstation did back then.

Yes, Apple needs to get off their asses and build an up-to-date Mac Pro, preferably one that will fit in a regular 19" tour case rack. But your heightened sense of self-importance is not the justification they need.

David Esrati
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2013, 11:19 AM

If you edit video- and for the record, Youtube is the 2nd biggest search engine for a reason- an iMac is a lame stepchild to a MacPro.
Obviously- no one at Apple seems to care anymore that the field they pioneered and owned at one point is moving away. Premier is pretty good- and it runs on PC's just fine.
Final Cut X was the beginning of the end of Apple's domination of pro video- and now- without a new mac pro, it is the end.
David Esrati
The Next Wave
937-228-4433

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2013, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by David Esrati View Post
If you edit video- and for the record, Youtube is the 2nd biggest search engine for a reason- an iMac is a lame stepchild to a MacPro.
Agreed, entirely.

AlohaMacintosh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2013, 01:57 PM

bigpoppa26 thinks Tim Cook is "doing just fine" and asks if i could do better...well..especially since Tim Cook does NOTHING AT ALL ..yes i could do better than him....The man is worthless...he just feeds his lifestyle at our expense.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2013, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by AlohaMacintosh View Post
bigpoppa26 thinks Tim Cook is "doing just fine" and asks if i could do better...well..especially since Tim Cook does NOTHING AT ALL ..yes i could do better than him....The man is worthless...he just feeds his lifestyle at our expense.
Yes, yes of course...he does nothing at all.

The supply chain expert under whose tenure Apple's cash mountain grew some 80 billion dollars does nothing at all. We all know that all Jobs did was to look at shit and give a thumbs-up or send the guys back to the drawing board, or fire them.

Who the hell let you out, man?

Arne_Saknussemm
Forum Regular
Apr 24, 2013, 06:22 PM

Dear G_Whore;

Seems I am in good company

PS.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2013, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Arne_Saknussemm View Post
Dear G_Whore;

Seems I am in good company

PS.
Liars.

P
Apr 25, 2013, 09:52 AM

no, most pros CAN'T "make do" with iMacs. What about those of us that do need things like multiple hard drives,
External HDD, over USB or Thunderbolt. What you lose over USB is the latency. TB is just as fast as internal, but they're pricy. You can buy a few for the difference between an MP and an iMac, though.

(Well, technically iMacs have had two HDD bays since 2010, which is technically multiple, but still).

dual ethernet,
This again. Apple has sold external Ethernet adapters for five years now, and they existed for a long time before that from third parties.

GOOD MONITORS (the professional kind, like Eizo - not the shiny glare inducing imac kind),
So buy one. There are two video out ports on the iMac even if you don't want to bother with that DP hub that never seems to materialize.

PCI slots, etc.
This is not a use case, this is a connection method - and one that is no longer inherently superior to all external ways. What do you want to connect in the PCI slots?

Just because YOU don't need a MacPro, don't assume everyone else doesn't.
There are reasons to need a Mac Pro. None of the reasons above qualify, however - they're just about refusing to find alternative solutions. Apple doesn't cater to that market - they move fast and without pity for those who move slower. This is annoying when you're being left behind, but if you look around, they usually have an answer for 90% of these issues.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

heisetax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2013, 12:46 AM

Some computer users do not want glued together models that can not be upgraded. Because technology constantly changes the glued together iMacs & MacBook Pros can only take limited external updates. A Mac Pro can be kept up to date for much longer than an iMac.

My newest display is over 5 years old. Some are approaching 10. They are all 16:10 viewing ratio screens of the 30" variety. Like many people I need more height, not the 10% less height of the 16:9 iMacs & the glossy 27" TB Apple display. I run 5-6 displays on either my 7 year old Mac Pro or my so called new one that is less than a year old. Externally it is up to date with eSata III & USB 3. It has 5 internal hard disks, any of which may or may not be an actual ssd. The iMacs whether glued together or not can not do this. Memory is another item. My most current Mac Pro has 64 GB of ram. On the Apple side that can be increased to 96 GB & on the Windows & Linux sides it can be updated to 128 GB. Try that with an iMac..

Because Apple has long considered themselves an electronic toy company & not a electronic company the change of Macs from the "pro" market to the toy market really only follows. The change of of the Mac OS to just a larger iOS is a natural step to the total elimination of even the Mac semi-pro market.

By the way I believe that my 35 year old HeathKit H-89 has more spread sheet power than the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch group of iToys have. These toys still are not up to version 1 of Excel on a 1985 Mac model. The lack of anything but a simple Mac OS X Server is also a big indication of no Mac Pro or Semi-Pro group of products. Some people still need to have more computing power & choices than the iMac offer. If MicroSoft could produce a good operating system as they were starting to do with XP & Windows 7 then we could have a good alternative. I run Mac OS 10.6.8 most of the time on my Mac Pro because of a few of the things that were eliminated from Mac "iOS" 10.7 & 10.8 have done.

The new Mac Pro that some say have been promised is actually the Mac Mini. For only $20 now it can & is considered a server model. I was told at the local Apple store that this is all the server that anyone needs any more. Large server farms are not needed. If that is true why does Apple have 2 or more of them. Add to that all of the other larger server farms that are being built. Now are they using Mac Minis as a server or must that need more power & use Linux Servers?

P
May 6, 2013, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by heisetax View Post
Some computer users do not want glued together models that can not be upgraded. Because technology constantly changes the glued together iMacs & MacBook Pros can only take limited external updates. A Mac Pro can be kept up to date for much longer than an iMac.
I know that many people don't want the all-in-one models, but I would argue that that is increasingly a case of old habits dying hard. Historically, a Mac Pro can be kept current for about 2 years, because that's how long Intel keeps the same CPU socket around. There has been a limited ability to upgrade GPU - right now you can put a powerful GTX680 in a 2008 Mac Pro, which means that it can be said to be current with current GPU technology, but that has not been consistent. Other than that, the external upgrade options on an iMac are equivalent to what you can put in an MP, but not everyone has realized that yet. Just look at the posters claiming they need a Mac Pro to get multiple network interfaces - that hasn't been true since the Bush era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules