Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook 2400c problem

Powerbook 2400c problem
G4Man
Jan 8, 2001, 06:08 AM

I have a problem with my powerbook 2400c. My powerbook won't startup, I just get a faint click, and no light or anything. I did the reset power manager and it worked and things worked fine, but my powerbook went out again a day later, and the resetting power manager doesn't work, just the faint click sound. When I have the battery in, I can eject the pcmcia card. When I take out the battery and put the ac cord, I can't eject the pcmcia card. Maybe just need to replace the pram battery or something. I don't think it's the logic board. Any help would be great. I have my valuable info on there.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2001, 11:19 AM

One day, my power adapter broke down on me and I could boot from battery. Maybe your adapter is dead. And your battery ran out in that day that it was working. Test your computer with a friend's adapter. See if that works.

------------------
Albert Wu <- No life.
http://web.harker.org/

24/7 Cell phone use can not kill you. I am half-consious proof. (It's not because of the cell phone.)

Caffine is not a mind-altering drug.
It is a life-altering drug!
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

fisherKing
Jan 17, 2001, 05:06 PM

just saw your post. my 2400c died last week, also getting those clicks.
tried 2 ac adaptors, 2 batteries.
now it's in the shop. i'm hoping it's a simple electrical problem, not the logic board..

i'll post next week w/more info...

waiting for a new subnotebook..! C'MON, APPLE!!

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2001, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
waiting for a new subnotebook..! C'MON, APPLE!!
If kormac76's statements in this thread at AppleInsider are to be believed, we almost got a new Titamium sub-PowerBook at MWSF and will definitely get it at Macworld Tokyo on February 22.

Hope springs eternal

Escher
(waiting to replace my 2400c but with no good advice for G4Man)

------------------
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Let's have a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook with AirPort and 5 hour battery life now!
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2001, 10:50 AM

escher, that's just what I was going to say. I've been anticipating Apple's subnotebook move for quite a while and have been delaying the processor and hd upgrade of my 2400c. And of course ordered a PowerBook G4 anyway, just in case (with Apple, you really never know). Because you really need a sponge--as one other post said--to soak up all the drool lost over the new design ...

greg

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2001, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by 2far:
I've been anticipating Apple's subnotebook move for quite a while and have been delaying the processor and hd upgrade of my 2400c.
Greg: A PowerBook 2400c in Zurich, that's great! Zurich is my hometown and I usually bring along my beloved 2400 when I visit family back there. Since the 2400 was never available in Europe, I never would have thought that anybody else had a 2400 in Zurich, not even temporarily.

I updated the HD to 6GB on my 2400 last year, but decided that a faster processor wasn't worth the expense. I'm still happy with my choice. I can't wait to see whether a sub-PowerBook really exists. As I've said in other places: If I can't get an Apple subnotebook by MWNY in July, I will settle for a PowerBook G4 with no hard feelings.

Escher

------------------

G4Man  (op)
Jan 18, 2001, 08:35 PM

Let me know if you get that powerbook 2400c fixed, I'm getting mine in to a shop next week for a diagnose. Also I hope that there will be a sub ti notebook at macworld tokyo. That'll be cool. Any other people with 2400c's, please reply!!!

Norb
Jan 19, 2001, 12:30 PM

That's what happened to mine, I unplugged it and took the battery out over night then it would start up, but then lock up after 30 minutes. I think maybe the clock battery is dead. But I gave up on it and bought a Pismo 500 during the fire sale. And all I can say it that the Pismo is great looking but the finish is so dainty. You breath on it and it scratches. And the corners are really sharp and I can't wear my metal watch because its scratches the palm rests. The 2400 plastic is more durable.

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2001, 02:56 PM

escher: I know one other Apple developer in Europe that has a 2400 (Germany). It hurts to let go, but I'm auctioning mine off right now. I mean, a thousand francs is a thousand francs, and I don't intend to open a museum.

But you are right, people don't even recognize it as a PowerBook, let alone the cool external disk drive. Even in L.A. on or near Sunset Blvd in a cc they didn't know the 2400, and that was in 1998 (had a serious system crash and no boot cd drive ...).

Aber susch mues ich scho s�ge, bis ietz isch no n�t gnueg chlis cho zum das Teil ersetze. Aber ebe, die PB G4 sind scho verlockend ...

greg

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2001, 03:32 PM

Can't advise, GMan, just empathize. My 2400 went south on me once. Got it back in like 3 days though. Glad I got the extended warranty. Quit again on the fellow I sold it to and he got it fixed, again under the warranty. I bought it back from him, but before I did, picked up a Interware upgraded 2400. You might say I'm hooked! Mercury might be on my horizon, but not before MacWorld Tokyo. Maybe we'll get our 2400 sized PB then!

fisherKing
Jan 19, 2001, 05:53 PM

update!!
had my 2400 in the shop 1 week.
outside of reattaching the infamous "2400 loose screws", no fix.
so it's off to apple.
cost:$375.
est. return: 10 days.

more later..
(meanwhile, it's my roommates Dell...& windows...

G4Man  (op)
Jan 20, 2001, 01:37 AM

Hey Guys, thanks for the replies. Just took my 2400c into a shop today to get it checked out. Get it back Monday or so, I'll update on what's going on with the diagnose.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 20, 2001, 12:05 PM

Sorry to stray off-topic, ppl, but I can't resist

Es isch scho luschtig, dass die einzigi Schwiizer, won ich bisher troffe han da i de MacNN Forene, alli uus Z�ri sind (ich bi zwar s�lber Amerikaner, aber ich han siebe Jaar lang im Seef�ld gl�bt).

tooki

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2001, 12:10 PM

escher: I know one other Apple developer in Europe that has a 2400 (Germany). It hurts to let go, but I'm auctioning mine off right now. I mean, a thousand francs is a thousand francs, and I don't intend to open a museum.
If I could find an adequate replacement, I'd auction off my 2400c immediately. But I still use it every day and am wary of replacing it with something heavier unless absolutely necessary. I already have my PowerBook 520c (aka Blackbird) for the museum. I also rember hearing from a musician in Austria who was using a 2400. 2far:Are you Swiss, like me, or American, like tooki, or both?

But you are right, people don't even recognize it as a PowerBook, let alone the cool external disk drive. Even in L.A. on or near Sunset Blvd in a cc they didn't know the 2400, and that was in 1998 (had a serious system crash and no boot cd drive ...).
It's such a shame that the 2400 wasn't distributed more widely and didn't get the acceptance it deserved in the marketplace. Let's hope that the "Ti PowerBook G4 Duo" predicted by kormac76 on the AppleInsider boards changes all that at Tokyo!

Aber susch mues ich scho s�ge, bis ietz isch no n�t gnueg chlis cho zum das Teil ersetze. Aber ebe, die PB G4 sind scho verlockend ...
Originally posted by tooki:
Es isch scho luschtig, dass die einzigi Schwiizer, won ich bisher troffe han da i de MacNN Forene, alli uus Z�ri sind (ich bi zwar s�lber Amerikaner, aber ich han siebe Jaar lang im Seef�ld gl�bt).
This is absolutely nuts! Wie chunt das, dass uf eimal ali Schwiizertuetsch reded und entwedaer in Zueri woned oder mal dehte gwonnt haend? Ich chans chuum glaube. (Ich bi us der Engi.)

Escher

------------------

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2001, 12:12 PM

PS: G4Man: Good luck with the repair of your 2400. Let's hope the news tomorrow is good!

Escher

------------------

MrK
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2001, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by escher:
It's such a shame that the 2400 wasn't distributed more widely and didn't get the acceptance it deserved in the marketplace. Let's hope that the "Ti PowerBook G4 Duo" predicted by kormac76 on the AppleInsider boards changes all that at Tokyo!

You know, a big part of that was the sales effort. The 2400 was pre-Apple Store, pre- Comp USA store in a store and certainly pre- Apple retail. The people selling them then were Creative Computers, etc. And every salesperson I met back then was REALLY pushing people into desktops and/or the 5300. "For that price, you don't get anything... the screen is tiny, no drives, blah, blah, blah." With the right support, the 2400 would have been more popular. The Duos sold well for years... the 2400 was a Duo by another name.

At that time, portables still weren't fast enough and certainly didn't have enough storage, etc, to be true desktop replacements. Unless you edit reams of DV and do Photoshop all day, the Powerbook G4 is a desktop replacement as much as a portable computer. In this quest to replace the desktop, designers have lost sight of the whole portable idea. It is a darn shame.

It really is time for the duo to come back. You can dock it at home and use it like a desktop and unplug it to go with all the real advantages of a portable, namely, weight.

Oh well.

Until that time, I am resigned to the new G4. At least it is REALLY good looking. I'll stare at it fondly while I am at my chiropracter appointment.

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2001, 05:57 PM

If I could find an adequate replacement, I'd auction off my 2400c immediately. But I still use it every day and am wary of replacing it with something heavier unless absolutely necessary. I already have my PowerBook 520c (aka Blackbird) for the museum. I also rember hearing from a musician in Austria who was using a 2400.
I lost hope so much that I decided to give the PB G4 a try ... and according to my calculations the PB 2400 even has a slightly larger volume (double check if you wish). And if there really is such a thing as a 'CubeBook', tant mieux.

And my museum is in the attic (Mac 512K, Amiga 1000, Sun Sparcstation).

2far:Are you Swiss, like me, or American, like tooki, or both?
escher: I'm so Swiss that I still have lots of time to spend in Military Service ... but I have roots in the Carribean.

This is absolutely nuts! Wie chunt das, dass uf eimal ali Schwiizertuetsch reded und entwedaer in Zueri woned oder mal dehte gwonnt haend? Ich chans chuum glaube. (Ich bi us der Engi.)
tooki, escher: I didn't know about tooki (hoi tooki!). Ich wone am Albisriederplatz ... Z�ri is the 'little big city', with 1/6th of the Swiss living in this region. Small world ...

Unglaublich ...

greg

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2001, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by MrK:
You know, a big part of that was the sales effort.... The Duos sold well for years... the 2400 was a Duo by another name.
Very true, MrK. A solid marketing campaign could do wonders to revive the Duo concept and propel subnotebook sales to great hights.

Escher

------------------

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2001, 08:23 PM

I lost hope so much that I decided to give the PB G4 a try ... and according to my calculations the PB 2400 even has a slightly larger volume (double check if you wish). And if there really is such a thing as a 'CubeBook', tant mieux.
Greg: Interesting calculation on the volume. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to live with a regular PB G4 if we don't get a subnotebook by MWNY.

Since you use your Mac professionally, your pragmatic position is the most sensible. But I just went back to school and my student budget doesn't allow me to loose hope. I'm getting one new PowerBook this year. For now, I'm still hoping it's a sub-PowerBook G4 Duo.

I'm so Swiss that I still have lots of time to spend in Military Service ... but I have roots in the Carribean.
Fascinating background... I deferred my first draft call in 1994 and left Switzerland before they had a chance to call me again. I always wanted to be a "Gebirgsgrenadier," (special infantry unit for the mountains) but would never have made it because I wear glasses. In retrospect, it's ok that I missed out on military service. I just have to stay out of Switzerland for a few more years to avoid it completely.

Z�ri is the 'little big city', with 1/6th of the Swiss living in this region. Small world ...
It's amazing all the marketing slogans the tourist office has come up with since I left. I didn't realize this until I was gone, but Zurich is the perfect compromise between a metropolis and a small mountain village. It's centrally located in Europe, good skiing is a 90 minute drive away (in Davos), the lake and mountain views are gorgeous and if you want, the Mediterranean is a day's drive away. The many valleys are also perfect for hot air ballooning (my other hobby, besides PowerBooks). Maybe I'll move back one day...

tooki: If you feel like practicing Swiss German while discussing Mac topics, you're welcome to visit me in DC.

Escher
(nostalgic)

------------------

openthepodbaydoor
Jan 22, 2001, 05:50 AM

Es isch scho luschtig, dass die einzigi Schwiizer, won ich bisher troffe han da i de MacNN Forene, alli uus Z�ri sind (ich bi zwar s�lber Amerikaner, aber ich han siebe Jaar lang im Seef�ld gl�bt)
nei nei, ig bi uurspr�nglech us b�rn u l�be jetz scho �s paar joohr in z�ri. z�ri isch halt w�rklech die einzigi schwizer stadt, wo dr name stadt no halbw�gs verdient...j�nu, vilicht verschlaats mi de gliich no mol uf n� jork oder el ei, hoffe mr'z bescht :-)

G4Man  (op)
Jan 25, 2001, 02:13 PM

I got my powerbook yesterday, and the dumb guys at www.desktopserv.com didn't even to bother with my 2400c. They had for 4 days and couldn't come up with a result, because it was never looked at. I guess I have to put it in my own hands, and find the problem. I think it's just the pram battery. I just get the green light, but no startup. Let me know what 2400c experiences you guys have been having with you sub.

Visit my graphic/web design page: www.amaesing.net

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2001, 04:24 PM

G4Man,

...and the jerks knew at the time they took it in they didn't know how to fix it. There's good people out there though. Call MCE in Irvine. Check out the Mac 2400 site. <http://webobjects.uwaterloo.ca/mac2400/> Links to quite a few knowledgeable sources of assistance.
--
mw

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2001, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by G4Man:
They had for 4 days and couldn't come up with a result, because it was never looked at.
G4Man: There are two shops which I can recommend personally. Contact either of the following two shops by phone or e-mail for more information.

(1) MCE PowerBook products at www.powerbook1.com in California.

(2) Tekserve at www.tekserve.com in NYC.

Both of these shops have done outstanding work on my PowerBooks and both have extensive experience with the 2400, including several staff that use a Comet.

Escher

------------------

G4Man  (op)
Jan 25, 2001, 08:42 PM

Thanks guys, but I've contacted MCE already, and they don't repair the 2400's anymore, they just upgrade them. Also I would like to know if anyone knows where to buy that damn little battery (pram/backup battery). Or if anyone has one that wants to sell it.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2001, 09:49 PM

I would like to know if anyone knows where to buy that damn little battery (pram/backup battery).
G4Man: Check Mac2400 for a few sources of PRAM batteries for the 2400.

And I insist that you give Tekserve a call. I am 100 percent certain that they repair PowerBooks, including the 2400.

Escher

------------------

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2001, 08:39 PM

repair story part 2!
my 2400c died, no startup at all (see earlier post), just the GLOD.
took it to tekserve, they looked at it, said it needed to go back to apple.
fixed price:$375. est. time:10 days.
my pwrbk went out monday, came back...thursday. new cpu (& a new palmrest & bay door)

well worth it, i'm back in biz!
caveat: cleared hard drive, returned w/ os 8.5.1...!
still, apple impressed me with the quick turnaround...

until a new subnotebook, the 2400c rules!

------------------
=8-)>
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

G4Man  (op)
Jan 26, 2001, 11:39 PM

FisherKing:

Could you email me with details of your repair from apple, and what steps you took to get it done. [email protected]

check out my webpage that I created with the 2400c. can't update, cause I need my 2400c fixed. www.amaesing.net

Barry Rabin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2001, 04:30 PM

Interesting thread folks. I have 2 of the 2400s (love em, waiting patiently for the new subnotebook to replac em), both have died with similar symptoms at least once. One time it was the motherboard (back to apple, $350 + $75 for HD backup attempt, returned 5 days OK). The other it was the internal battery (fixed on Applecare, 3 days OK).

Oh, and then there was the failed power supply fiasco (now have had 3 different ones go out - they always start to fail intermittently, then evenutally go, sucking the battery until you cannot restart - back to apple to resurect even though there was nothing really wrong with the hardware).

And then I had a HD go out - great service from MCE (overnight turnaround with 6 Gb replacement plus HD data recovered).

And then there was the Newer G3 motherboard failure....back to Newer, replaced in 1 week on warranty.

Still, I love these puppies and am waiting for something better (size and weight) to replace it...

G4Man  (op)
Jan 28, 2001, 05:01 PM

Thanks guys for all the replies. But since I can't get anyone to fix my 2400c, and don't want to spend the money on parts and labor. I'm giving it up on Ebay, keyword powerbook 2400c. So if any of you are interested, I'm selling it with a low reserve. I'm going to miss it

Barry Rabin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2001, 09:18 AM

Thanks guys for all the replies. But since I can't get anyone to fix my 2400c, and don't want to spend the money on parts and labor. I'm giving it up on Ebay, keyword powerbook 2400c. So if any of you are interested, I'm selling it with a low reserve. I'm going to miss it
Why not have apple fix it? I don't get it.

G4Man  (op)
Jan 29, 2001, 02:00 PM

Apple charges $375. I don't have that kind of money. I rather sell my book and get a newer g3 pb.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2001, 08:14 PM

I [would] rather sell my book and get a newer g3 pb.
G4Man: If you can live with the larger size and heavier weight of a PowerBook G3, your decision makes perfect sense. Even though I love my PB 2400c and benefit from its small size and light weight daily, I don't think I would sink any more money into it.

Being an optimist by default, I still hope my 2400 lasts until Apple ships a new sub-PowerBook. Maybe at Macworld Tokyo on February 22...

Escher

------------------

G4Man  (op)
Jan 29, 2001, 11:16 PM

I just got my wallstreet powerbook today. Gonna use the money I get from the 2400c, and maybe upgrade the processor to a powerlogic or newertech g3. I'm gonna miss the little guy even though the wallstreet is heavier and bigger, it's gonna benefit me in the future

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2001, 06:00 PM

Being an optimist by default, I still hope my 2400 lasts until Apple ships a new sub-PowerBook. Maybe at Macworld Tokyo on February 22...
Ok now so let's be disappointed ... MWT keynote passed and we got Flower Power!

The next opportunity is Steve knows when (MWNY? So I hope, but wouldn't bet on it).

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2001, 07:05 PM

MWNY? So I hope, but wouldn't bet on it.
2far: It was smart of you to order your PB G4 right after the MWSF keynote. You'll certainly get it sooner than a subnotebook.

MWT sucked.

MWNY is not until July.... But I'm no longer relying on Apple to introduce a subnotebook. I'll simply replace my PB 2400c when it dies or no longer fulfills my needs, presumably with a Titanium PB G4, or with a new iBook after MWNY. Who knows....?

In the meantime, I'm discovering the pleasures of Internet music with iTunes 1.1. (I had never used MP3's before!)

Escher

------------------

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2001, 08:28 PM

2far: It was smart of you to order your PB G4 right after the MWSF keynote. You'll certainly get it sooner than a subnotebook.
As it turns out, I even would have been able to cancel that order to get a subnote instead (if one had been announced). But now that isn't necessary, and I believe my PB G4 will arrive next week (this belief is popular among Apple addicts ... and it's very rarely this week, it always turns out to be next week )

MWT sucked.
And I stayed up so late (local time 2-4 a.m.) ... wasn't even able to watch it, don't have a dish (just the live reports on macnn and a couple others).

A little surprising tho (and un-apple) was the fact that my girlfriend already saw the two new iMacs on display at a local retailer in the Niederdorf earlier today (that is about 10 hours after the keynote, in Zurich!).

MWNY is not until July.... But I'm no longer relying on Apple to introduce a subnotebook.
My neither. The current iBook would also work for me, if money was a concern and I needed a portable Mac. It's just a little bulky. Other than that I wouldn't need any added functionality (could even do without the DVD drive and video out).

Kinda sad, but that seems to be life.

[This message has been edited by 2far (edited 02-22-2001).]

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2001, 12:24 AM

A little surprising tho (and un-apple) was the fact that my girlfriend already saw the two new iMacs on display at a local retailer in the Niederdorf.[/B]
Ah, 's Doerfli... Remember, technologically this was just a minor upgrade to the iMac so there shouldn't be any rollover problems. I still wonder how Apple managed to keep so many dealers quiet.

The current iBook would also work for me.... It's just a little bulky.
I'll just wait and see. If the new iBook is as bulky as the old one, I'll probably have to spend the additional $1000 on a PB G4. Weight is that much more important to me than looks or price. In the meantime, my 2400 is still chugging along.

Escher

------------------

G4Man  (op)
Feb 23, 2001, 04:26 AM

Hey guys, Just saw that there were replies to my post. Update: I got a backup pram battery today and installed it, and now my little superbook is up and running like new. Never going to call upon anyone to fix my things anymore. Just do it on your on if you can.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2001, 10:52 AM

I got a backup pram battery today and installed it, and now my little superbook is up and running like new.
G4Man: I'm glad to hear your PB 2400c is up and running again. Now that we have to wait at least another five months just for the possibility of a new subnotebook, we have to take care of our Comets particularly well.

Did you install the PRAM battery yourself? How was the process? Where did you buy the battery?

Escher

------------------

[This message has been edited by escher (edited 02-23-2001).]

G4Man  (op)
Feb 23, 2001, 04:03 PM

escher: I did install it myself, and there is a guy who found a supply of new batteries. His site is: http://www.PowerBooksPlus.com He charges them at $35 and shipping is free. The installation was somewhat difficult, only because of the screws, about 40 of them.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2001, 07:42 PM

The installation was somewhat difficult, only because of the screws, about 40 of them.
Wow. I guess opening up my iMac to add RAM to the upper and lower slot was easy in comparison (only 4 screws + removing the heatsink and processor daughter card). Thanks for the source. I'll decide whether to install it myself or not once the need for a replacement PRAM battery arises.

Escher

------------------

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2001, 09:18 PM

Wow. I guess opening up my iMac to add RAM to the upper and lower slot was easy in comparison (only 4 screws + removing the heatsink and processor daughter card). Thanks for the source. I'll decide whether to install it myself or not once the need for a replacement PRAM battery arises.

Escher
The 2400 is notoriously difficult to service. I kept away from it as long as I could (upgrading the hard drive is a nightmare), even installing memory is quite time consuming.

I checked out the source and followed a link: say, escher, is your first name Roland?

The arrival of my TiBook is due next week (as always), but in the meantime I'm still homesick for my 2400

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2001, 11:42 PM

say, escher, is your first name Roland?
Yes indeed. Now you know everything about me.

As for servicing the 2400, I didn't even dare change the keyboard on my own. All my upgrades were done by MCE in California or Tekserve in New York. I hope I never have to open it up myself.

Escher

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules