Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple updates iTunes to 11.0.3, improves Songs view, MiniPlayer

Apple updates iTunes to 11.0.3, improves Songs view, MiniPlayer
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 16, 2013, 02:41 PM

On Thursday, Apple updated its flagship program iTunes to version 11.0.3, which brings some new features as well as addresses a number of minor bugs and improves security and performance for those running and sorting large collections. The main new features include a redesigned MiniPlayer that now features artwork and a progress bar, and some changes to the Songs view that also adds album artwork. Importantly, multi-disc albums are now seen and counted as one album rather than individual discs.

The update is available through the Software Update mechanism or directly from Apple's support website. The complete combo update is 197MB in size, though it will usually be listed as a smaller "delta" file for most users updating through Software Update. The Windows version has been updated alongside the Mac version.

The new 11.0.3 also addresses a number of security issues found by various researchers, with Apple crediting HP's Tipping Point Zero Day Initiative and Google Chrome Security (among others) for finding a number of "man in the middle" vulnerabilities in the Windows version caused by memory corruption issues which have now been addressed. Only one security flaw was fixed for the Mac version; a certificate validation issue that could have lead to unauthorized escalated privileges.

( Last edited by NewsPoster; May 16, 2013 at 03:04 PM. )

elroth
Forum Regular
May 16, 2013, 04:57 PM

On the Bowie album, the songs are not listed in the order they should be (3 disc set). The three track 1s are first, followed by the three track 2s, etc. That's horrible - it's what an earlier iTunes version did, and had to be corrected with an update.

And the artwork - iTunes 9 was the last attractive version. The album names were under the artwork (instead of to the side), and the artwork could be made as large as you wanted. That looked nice. This is useful, but ugly.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2013, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by elroth View Post
On the Bowie album, the songs are not listed in the order they should be (3 disc set). The three track 1s are first, followed by the three track 2s, etc. That's horrible - it's what an earlier iTunes version did, and had to be corrected with an update.
In which view?

I don't think I've ever seen this issue, except when I inadvertently sorted by the wrong criterium (e.g. Track number, rather than Album or Artist).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2013, 04:38 AM

Still no way to pin column view to the left. Still no way I'm "upgrading" my main iTunes archive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules