Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Developer Center downtime linked to hacking attempt, Apple says

Developer Center downtime linked to hacking attempt, Apple says
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jul 21, 2013, 08:17 PM

The ongoing downtime of the iOS/OS X Developer Center is linked to a hacking attempt, Apple now admits. "Last Thursday, an intruder attempted to secure personal information of our registered developers from our developer website," an updated site message reads. "Sensitive personal information was encrypted and cannot be accessed, however, we have not been able to rule out the possibility that some developers' names, mailing addresses, and/or email addresses may have been accessed. In the spirit of transparency, we want to inform you of the issue. We took the site down immediately on Thursday and have been working around the clock since then."

"In order to prevent a security threat like this from happening again, we're completely overhauling our developer systems, updating our server software, and rebuilding our entire database," the message continues. "We apologize for the significant inconvenience that our downtime has caused you and we expect to have the developer website up again soon."

The message again reassures developers that if their memberships were about to expire during the outage, they've been extended. Any apps hosted on the App Store should also remain in place, though developers do not have access to sales statistics and other information until the Dev Center returns to normal.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jul 21, 2013 at 09:29 PM. )

Sebastien
Jul 21, 2013, 09:13 PM

"Data exposed. Dev Center Hacked."

Yeah, nice headline MacNN/Electronista - especially when Apple's site specifically states (and I quote YOU quoting them): "Sensitive personal information was encrypted and cannot be accessed, however, we have not been able to rule out the possibility that some developers' names, mailing addresses, and/or email addresses may have been accessed."

Yeah, they say info *might* have been accessed, but doesn't say it actually has, yet your "headline" purposely makes it sound like it definitively has.
( Last edited by Sebastien; Jul 26, 2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Restored the context of my post to that before it was modified.)

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2013, 09:24 PM

If you could just point to the part that you can prove isn't true, I'll change it.

PS. That's not the headline of the article, btw.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Truthsayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2013, 09:28 PM

What is it with Apple apologists - this is a serious issue - nothing wrong with the story, but there is obviously something wrong with Apple's security measures, so much so that they are taking drastic action to address the issue. The question is, why wasn't this action taken before their security firewalls were breached? I tells ya, there is something pathological about some Apple fans...

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2013, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
If you could just point to the part that you can prove isn't true, I'll change it.
This is not the proper mentality for a reporter. That is, unless you work for the Inquirer.

Hillbilly Geek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2013, 11:52 PM

Obviously a member of the main stream media...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2013, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Truthsayer View Post
What is it with Apple apologists
Whom are you talking about?

Sebastien?

He's a pedant, but anything BUT an Apple apologist.

Sanjiv Sathiah
Jul 22, 2013, 05:49 AM

And you another one - the reason your eyes are rolling is because you've forgotten to take your medication.
Electronista Staff

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2013, 06:35 AM

Okay, this is getting officially confusing.

We have one of the biggest critics of Apple being called out as an Apple apologist for correcting a line in the article.
That is, if Truthsayer was talking about Sebastien. If not, I haven't the slightest clue what his post was about, because the article certainly isn't apologist.

I note that the person doing so was obviously knee-jerking, and now Sanjiv feels the need to call ME an apologist for siding with Sebastien?

Is this place suddenly populated by fifteen-year-olds?

Sanjiv Sathiah
Jul 22, 2013, 08:12 AM

Sincere apologies @Spheric Harlot - my teenage son took the opportunity to have some fun at my expense! You're on the money!!
Electronista Staff

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2013, 08:47 AM

All Good.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2013, 10:40 AM

"The question is, why wasn't this action taken before their security firewalls were breached?"

Maybe Apple didn't know about the security holes. It's hard to take preventive action against something you don't know you should be taking preventive action against.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Jul 22, 2013, 12:08 PM

Particularly after taking all the recommended steps to assure security.

One of my favorite security related statements: "We're so secure we can't get anything done."

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2013, 01:48 PM

So, Sebastien -- now that you've (presumably) read this story:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/13/07/22/says.he.reported.vulnerabilities.to.apple/

Still think the leaderboard caption needs "correcting?"
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Sebastien
Jul 22, 2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
PS. That's not the headline of the article, btw.
Oh sure, now that you've taken out the graphic (edit: which I've now restored) that specifically showed this (still available on the home page now however)

At the time this was posted, Apple had not yet acknowledged any 'cracking' or exposure of data, yet your "headline" shows foreknowledge of what transpired (things that make you go 'hmmmm' - maybe Apple should be informed of this?)

Yes MacNN has once again prematurely published information without proper confirmation - it just got lucky that it was right (or like I said, had foreknowledge); and don't try to pretend you had a 'Scoop'.
( Last edited by Sebastien; Jul 26, 2013 at 04:50 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules