Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Former MobileMe members losing bonus iCloud space September 30

Former MobileMe members losing bonus iCloud space September 30
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 1, 2013, 09:49 PM

When Apple's MobileMe suite of online services got revamped and changed into iCloud, existing members were provided with 20GB of extra storage space compared to the 5GB normally allotted, for a total of 25GB (which includes email storage, iCloud iOS device backups and other services such as Documents in the Cloud). The company has now sent out reminder notices to such customers letting them know that the additional free storage will be withdrawn and reduced to the standard 5GB on September 30.

Apple had originally planned to end the free bonus storage last September, but shortly before the deadline decided to extend the free offer for another year. Members of course have the option of paying to keep, downgrade or even increase the 25GB storage level if they wish.

While the 5GB level is free, users can opt to pay for 10GB of additional storage (15GB total) for an annual cost of $20, or retain the 20GB level (25GB total) for an annual cost of $40. There is also a 50GB level (55GB total) for $100 per year. Renewals are charged automatically unless users make changes to their plan. Current MobileMe members who have the 20GB free additional storage will not be charged but will instead be downgraded to 5GB unless they decide to change their plan. Changes made now and any charges required will occur on September 30.

Users can check their current levels of storage on iOS devices (running iOS 5 or later) as well as Macs (OS X 10.7 and up) or PCs using Windows Vista or later. A tech support note details the different methods, how to reduce the amount of cloud storage they are using and what purchase options are.

If a user with the complementary 20GB upgrade currently is using more than 5GB of that storage and has not taken any action on the account by September 30, iCloud Mail, Documents in the Cloud and iCloud Backup will temporarily stop working until the user either reduces the amount of iCloud storage, or purchases a plan in line with their storage needs.

Stuke
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2013, 11:05 PM

I think Grandfathering is appropriate here. Look into our records and see that we used MobileMe storage for Gallery, iWork docs, etc. The iCloud transition was difficult for every user. The lack of iDisk (or similar DropBox like behavior) with current iCloud, alone, is reason enough to grandfather us at the levels we had. Charge us if we want to upgrade beyond that...fair enough. Otherwise, I'll never start paying for what I'm using now and begin shopping for the best deal elsewhere (with more functionality). I'm sure a few others will also.
--
Stuke

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2013, 12:20 AM

They DID grandfather you in ... for two years. Also, there are a number of third-party utilities that let you use iCloud storage in a Dropbox-like manner (or you can do it manually, it's pretty easy -- just make an alias of the Mobile Documents folder buried in your library).

I miss some of the stuff I got with MobileMe, but frankly a lot of that stuff has been surpassed. Wordpress.com makes iWeb look childish, Flickr offers one TERRABYTE of free photo storage, and Dropbox (or my preferred copy.com) offers better document storage. I dislike not having it all under one roof, but frankly I'm using the 25GB of free iCloud storage I have now since what I can put there is kind of limited.

I do think Apple has further plans for iCloud, though, so we'll see what unfolds ...
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

dechamp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2013, 01:04 AM

Since Apple never finished iCloud I quit using it for anything but syncing Contacts, Calendar, Notes, and Reminders. Dropbox provides my file storage and sync to devices just fine (I never used the additional storage Apple provided because I could see it was a dead end, and too limited). iCloud mail only syncs with PC's running MS Outlook which usually comes with MS Office, so I can see why they are not very popular with a large number of home users who simply won't pay for that overpriced set of programs.

iCloud mail does not allow me to keep my existing email accounts with other providers like Gmail does, so I'm not too worried about not having enough storage. Gmail provides 15GB with each free account and does a great job screening Spam and blocking virus attachments I receive at my old POP server.

The government has access to all of the email servers (including iCloud), so rumors about privacy at Google are just not an issue. There is no privacy at any mainstream email server.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2013, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Stuke View Post
I think Grandfathering is appropriate here. Look into our records and see that we used MobileMe storage for Gallery, iWork docs, etc. The iCloud transition was difficult for every user. The lack of iDisk (or similar DropBox like behavior) with current iCloud, alone, is reason enough to grandfather us at the levels we had. Charge us if we want to upgrade beyond that...fair enough. Otherwise, I'll never start paying for what I'm using now and begin shopping for the best deal elsewhere (with more functionality). I'm sure a few others will also.
The question being, where do you get a service that will also to automatic online backups of your iDevices?

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2013, 05:31 AM

@Spheric Harlot: Exactly. Apple has practically eliminated the file system from the user perspective. With iDevices, backup is automatic. It's a neat trick.

prl99
Senior User
Aug 2, 2013, 09:23 AM

With the old MobileMe storage, which I had, Apple charged for photo storage. With iCloud they don't. That's a huge difference. I don't store my documents on iCloud and don't backup any iOS devices to iCloud either. I went from worrying about exceeding my 20GB limit to not even using 2GB. I archive my email regularly, reducing iCloud storage. I don't use Dropbox but do use a USB drive attached to my Airport Extreme. This is free and totally controlled by me. I'm fine with only having 5GB because Apple is giving me virtually unlimited storage for free.

Geoduck
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2013, 09:48 AM

A couple of years ago I was using 10GB of MobileMe space. I had documents out there, a web site, all sorts of things. Now with iCloud I'm down to 1GB. Other than synching Calendars, Bookmarks, Notes and a couple of other things I just don't find it useful. So when I go from 25GB to 5GB it won't bother me at all.
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

Stuke
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2013, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
The question being, where do you get a service that will also to automatic online backups of your iDevices?
I don't backup to iCloud for iDevices. I manage all iDevices via iTunes, itself backed up on- and offsite. I agree, let's see what Apple brings next to iCloud that warrants my $40/20GB extra storage. Now, I'm happy with Dropbox and SmugMug for the media.
--
Stuke

Forum Links
Forum Rules