Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Apple TV update returns after being pulled for causing issues

Apple TV update returns after being pulled for causing issues
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 23, 2013, 11:41 PM

On Monday, Apple restored an update to its Apple TV device after pulling the previous version on Sunday over widespread reports that the update "bricked" the device, rendering it inoperable for some users. Others complained of lesser technical issues (like lost content or inability to download), while others reported no issues. The new version carries the same name as the old, and those who still have functioning units can re-download the 6.0 update through the built-in Software Update mechanism.

The 6.0 update also implemented a touted feature of the new version, AirPlay over iCloud, reports AppleInsider. The feature allows users to sign in to their own accounts over other Apple TV units (such as a friend, family member or neighbor's) using their iTunes credentials and play purchased content, including music, podcasts and Photo Streams (including, for the first time, videos). Users can use an iPhone or iPad to log into iTunes rather than the Apple TV itself if they prefer.

Apple originally released the update on Friday, but reports of problems came in over the weekend leading to the decision to pull the update on Sunday. Both the original and revised update add support for iTunes Radio and iTunes 11.1. The new build is distinguished from the old one by its build number, 11A502 (the first build was numbered 11A470e). If a user's machine was "bricked," they may need to use a USB "b" cable to connect it to a computer and reset the device using iTunes.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2013, 10:23 AM

Updated mine last night with no problems

Rapscallion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2013, 03:37 PM

Same, all fixed.

iphonerulez
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2013, 04:40 PM

I'm still rather interested in getting an AppleTV but I'd heard a couple of weeks ago that there was a high possibility of Apple coming out with a new version in a month or so. I guess I'll just hold off.

Forum Links
Forum Rules