Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple asks developers to avoid using gold iPhone 5s in promo images

Apple asks developers to avoid using gold iPhone 5s in promo images
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 31, 2013, 11:38 AM

Apple is curiously deterring app developers from using images of the gold iPhone 5s in product marketing, reports note. "Feature only the most current Apple products in the following finishes or colors: iPhone 5s in silver or space gray, iPhone 5c in white or blue, iPad Air in silver or space gray, and iPad mini in silver or space gray," the company writes in a new addition to its marketing guidelines. Accordingly, official image templates -- into which people can insert screenshots -- exclude the gold 5s.

Although the gold option is one of the distinguishing aspects of the 5s, and highly sought-after by the public, people trying to buy a gold model have often been frustrated. The 5s can still be hard to find as a rule, and gold phones are rarer still. Apple may be trying to steer marketing away from gold to keep demand more in line with supply. Alternately, the company may simply prefer more subdued advertising.

Another explanation may lie in the relative popularity of each color. A recent survey indicated that blue and white are the most popular iPhone 5c shades, and Apple's guidelines reflect that, notably excluding yellow, red, and green. Those colors are, however, included throughout Apple's own promotional material. Likewise, the gold 5s has appeared in plenty of Apple print and TV ads.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 31, 2013 at 11:40 AM. )

Grendelmon
Senior User
Oct 31, 2013, 12:14 PM

Yup, maximize hype through advertising rarity.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2013, 02:41 PM

So Apple wants to use the gold iPhone 5s in their ads but is trying to pressure developers not to use similar photos in their ads. Somehow, that doesn't seem fair. I'm not a developer, but if I were, I'd go for the gold. If I were creating a new app, I might even insert Gold into the name to make the connection a closer one.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 31, 2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Grendelmon View Post
Yup, maximize hype through advertising rarity.
Sense: That makes none.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Nov 1, 2013, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Sense: That makes none.

Something that Apple and my posts have in common!

Forum Links
Forum Rules