Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > WD Black 2 Dual Drive combines SSD, HDD into non-hybrid format

WD Black 2 Dual Drive combines SSD, HDD into non-hybrid format
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 25, 2013, 10:55 AM

Western Digital has released the Black 2 Dual Drive, a product that merges an SSD and an HDD into the same component. The unit isn't an SSHD; instead, the SSD (120GB) and HDD (1TB) partitions are separate, giving people more control over where data is stored. Data usage is typically offloaded to the HDD, though, in theory improving the longevity of the SSD.

The Dual Drive fits into 2.5-inch SATA slots; the SSD partition is rated at speeds up to 6Gbps. The product costs $299, and is available either directly from Western Digital or through online vendors such as Newegg.

demani
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2013, 12:45 PM

Seems like this would be a great upgrade for MacBook Pros in place of the standard drive, and sould let you set up a Fusion drive with very little fuss.

mgpalma
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2013, 01:22 PM

Even though this is reported on a Mac-centric site...
"Mac OS is not supported at this time."
Goody.
-
Michael

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 25, 2013, 04:16 PM

I can confirm that Disk Utility sees both the SSD and rotating platter drive. The drive contains a SATA multiplier, with two discrete devices sharing one computer port.

There's no reason this won't work on OSX, despite what the manufacturer claims.

elroth
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2013, 12:26 PM

I think that for $799, I would want something that the manufacturer says supports Macs. Call me crazy.

fizzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2013, 02:35 PM

The PC-only part appears to be the "Shift_Technology" software, which OS X already has in Fusion. As so many things, "not compatible" really means "unnecessary."

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 26, 2013, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by elroth View Post
I think that for $799, I would want something that the manufacturer says supports Macs. Call me crazy.
Manufacturers have been making products for years and calling them not compatible with OSX, but yet, with the right research, they are often proven wrong.

Let's hear it for lack of organized testing for OS X because it costs too much to do.

Forum Links
Forum Rules