Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > New Android ioPhone mimics Apple's iPhone 5c style

New Android ioPhone mimics Apple's iPhone 5c style
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 14, 2013, 08:43 PM

A Japanese phone maker is taking a whole page from Apple's design book, copying almost exactly the look of the iPhone maker's iPhone 5c. Kodawarisan pointed out Iosys' ioPhone5 on Saturday, revealing images of a multicolored line of Android-powered devices that mimic the look of Apple's "unapologetically plastic" mid-range smartphone. So devoted was Iosys in its mimicry that the placement of the ioPhone's logo and regulatory information match those of the iPhone 5c exactly.

Iosys' marketing materials for the device even appear to follow in Apple's footsteps, with the five color options – also similar to Apple's offerings – arrayed in the same way they are in Apple's promotional images. Also similar to Apple's style are the placement of the volume controls and what appears to be the device's lock button.

As Apple has done with the iPhone 5c, Iosys is touting the color options available with the ioPhone.

The lookalike device has a four-inch display, as does Apple's iPhone, but it only outputs at 854 x 480, much lower than the Retina display packed into the 5c. Inside, the ioPhone packs a dual-core MTK6572 processor, 4GB of storage, and 512MB of RAM. It runs Android 4.2, and Iosys appears to have ceased its mimicry with the look of the operating system.

The iPhone clone – which is by no means the first to imitate Apple – will be released on December 20, and pre-orders are now live. The low-end Android phone will sell for 15,490 yen.

apostle
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2013, 10:05 PM

Years ago Japan mocked American companies for being short-sighted. For not thinking long-term, but instead, only interested in the current quarter. Is Japan joining the brotherhood of the almighty buck?

designr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2013, 02:16 AM

When I was a little kid I had a transistor AM radio that was made in Japan. The antenna was flimsy and the dials kept falling off. I wanted the transistor radio that was made in America because it was made better and didn't have as much static. But we were too poor to afford the American transistor radio. I was deprived as a child and the other children would laugh at me because I couldn't hear rock and roll on the radio. They called me the poor kid with the cheap Japanese imitation radio who couldn't hear rock and roll on the radio. I was so ashamed.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2013, 03:20 AM

This is unusual for Japan to imitate iPhone. Normally they are from China.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2013, 07:36 AM

Cue flying monkey lawyers in 3 ... 2 ...
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2013, 10:08 AM

Copying the iPhone 5c, which already looks like a 101 other cell phones on the market, is an interesting business plan. What can they hope to accomplish? I assume it's to be able to say that it looks EXACTLY like a 5c rather than almost like one. At any rate, 15,490 Yen is about $150, so it will be much cheaper.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Jubeikiwagami
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2013, 01:17 PM

I guess if the Koreans and Chinese are doing it and beating Japan...might as well shame themselves and do it to.

Geoduck
Forum Regular
Dec 15, 2013, 01:26 PM

They need one more version. One with a big red TARGET on the back because Apple legal is going to hit them hard.
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

Sebastien
Dec 15, 2013, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Cue flying monkey lawyers in 3 ... 2 ...
Yeah, Nokia definitively needs to go after Apple: https://twitter.com/nokia_uk/statuse...83408043036672

Sebastien
Dec 15, 2013, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
Copying the iPhone 5c, which already looks like a 101 other cell phones on the market, is an interesting business plan.
Well, the business plan is really "Copying the iPhone 5c copying Nokia phones" https://twitter.com/nokia_uk/statuse...83408043036672

Sebastien
Dec 15, 2013, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
They need one more version. One with a big red TARGET on the back because Apple legal is going to hit them hard.
…right after Nokia hits Apple hard https://twitter.com/nokia_uk/statuse...83408043036672

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2013, 09:16 PM

Why, it's uncanny. Those Nokia phones look TOTALLY like the iPhone.

Or wait, are you talking about the arrangement by color for the photograph, that is the same as for just about every colored iPod release photography in the last decade or so?

Also, kudos for responding THREE TIMES with the same link.

Either you're astro-turfing to get paid by the post, or your balls are actually bigger than your brain...and not in a good way. Because they're looking normal-sized.

Sebastien
Dec 16, 2013, 12:04 AM

Oh, the hypocrisy of Apple fanboys!

niji
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2013, 08:34 AM

if you go to the company's website, this is what you learn about this company:

1. owner is a 40 year old man from Osaka
2. he is very independent and unusual for any japanese businessman (this is putting it very mildly if you read this profile)
3. a high school dropout actually (more power to him)
4. and his twitter feed says that he currently hiding out in Hong Kong

so pls don't try to read anything into this about it being unusual for a japanese business to do this.
the company itself itself is a small one man show with an eccentric owner.
who has the balls to make a colourful product that is doing great according to their website for pre-orders.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2013, 11:28 AM

What is he hiding from?.... that's Unusual. Maybe that's where's he's from originally.

bjojade
Dec 16, 2013, 12:06 PM

Is it just me, or do the buttons in all of the phones look out of alignment? Yes it looks like an iPhone, but the quality sure isn't there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules