Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > WSJ: Apple launching two new iPhones in 2014, one over 5 inches

WSJ: Apple launching two new iPhones in 2014, one over 5 inches
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 23, 2014, 01:47 PM

Apple is planning to ship two new iPhone models this year, one of which will have a display over 5 inches, sources tell the Wall Street Journal. The other is expected to measure over 4.5 inches. Otherwise the phones are expected to take after the style of the iPhone 5s, and the plastic exterior of the iPhone 5c will allegedly be discontinued. The new devices are forecast to debut in the second half of 2014; the smaller phone is said to be ready for mass production, but the bigger one is reportedly in "preliminary development."

The Journal's story follows a day after an analyst, Timothy Arcuri, claimed that the iPhone 6's design is "locked down.". He suggested that Apple's next flagship will measure 4.8 inches, which would be consistent with the smaller device mentioned by WSJ, but not the larger one.

Going over 5 inches would put the iPhone in competition with not just most flagship smartphones, like the Nexus 5, HTC One, and Galaxy S4, but also so-called "phablets" like the Galaxy Note 3. Apple has faced criticism for keeping the iPhone 5, 5s, and 5c at 4 inches when most rival devices are at least 4.5 inches.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jan 23, 2014 at 01:53 PM. )

pairof9s
Senior User
Jan 23, 2014, 03:56 PM

Can't wait to hear the Fandroids complain how Apple is not innovative and is just copying what they've had for years...like copying is a one-way street!

Stuke
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2014, 09:05 PM

Awesome, a bigger device in my pocket! Now know, I'm an Apple fan--always have been, always will be. But I for one am perfectly fine with my iPhone 5 size. I chuckle when I see people walking about with devices and screens almost the size of their head talking on the phone. Just me, but I'm happy with their 4" size screen.
--
Stuke

Truthsayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2014, 12:29 AM

Choice is good. One size fits not necessarily fit all.

Truthsayer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2014, 12:30 AM

Correction: Choice is good. One size does not necessarily fit all.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Jan 24, 2014, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by pairof9s View Post
Can't wait to hear the Fandroids complain how Apple is not innovative and is just copying what they've had for years...like copying is a one-way street!
[Shakes head]...

Forum Links
Forum Rules