Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Macworld lays off most staff, will end print edition

Macworld lays off most staff, will end print edition
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 10, 2014, 05:25 PM

Long-standing Apple-themed publication Macworld has laid off much of its staff, and is closing down its print edition, according to blog and Twitter posts, as well as USA Today. Former editor-in-chief Jason Snell mentioned the information in a blog post, and staff from the company, including Dan Miller and Roman Loyola, have taken to Twitter to deny that Macworld is closing entirely, while acknowledging job cuts. In his post, Snell adds that he's leaving the publication to focus on other projects. Miller says he will be with the company for another month to help with the transition, and mentioned that the web site will continue.

At one point, Macworld was integral to the Apple community. It was not only a popular magazine, but parent company IDG licensed its name to help create the Macworld Conference & Expo. For years, Apple itself made presentations at the expo to announce new products, but it pulled out in 2009, depriving the event of much of its prestige. It persists as Macworld/iWorld, and a 2015 gathering is already scheduled for March 12-15 in San Francisco.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Sep 11, 2014 at 06:40 AM. )

OldMacGeek
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2014, 06:08 PM

How very sad that print is dying. I fondly remember poring over every new issue multiple times. Then the ads decreased. Then the content started lessening. As the Internet gained in popularity, print became almost irrelevant. The same thing happened with our local Mac User Group. I led it for years. It used to be huge. Near the end, it turned into mostly a time for software demos and troubleshooting, and was attended by about 8-10 people.

Here's hoping that they'll be able to maintain an online presence. They have some great writers, and there are still stories to tell.

reciprocity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2014, 06:11 PM

Very, very sad news. I wonder what this means for Macworld Expo. Even though it's already scheduled for 2015, will it still be held?

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2014, 06:39 PM

I remember getting a free 12-month subscription to MacWorld with one of my Mac purchases (G4 Yikes!, I believe?) which I enjoyed and resubscribed to for years. It was always a nice surprise once a month or so to open the mailbox and discover a shiny, new copy of the latest edition.

Nostalgia, right in the feels.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2014, 08:03 PM

I continue to enjoy the magazine -- on my iPad. I sure hope the Macalope maintains a job, that column is just to vital to cease to exist. I'm very sorry to hear of the Macworld writers being let go, and hope they find new positions online soon. I think magazines still have a lot of depth and reportage to offer, but the future for that medium is online.

As for Mac User Groups, some of them are still thriving. I'm in one that has 240 members, of whom about 50-60 regularly attend meetings. It's a fun, more social way to catch up on demos and interesting stuff one might have missed.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

macmedia1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2014, 11:17 PM

This is real sad - and to me, it started when Apple turned their noses away from the Expo. I travelled across the country every year to San Fran to see the show right after CES. Did that for so many years until Apple decided not to renew their show contract. I really thought (and still think) it was a bad move as it showed they supported the 3rd party market. Now, it's more like they want to do most everything themselves.

As of this moment, Macworld.com doesn't show any news about the ending of the print edition and in fact, there is a banner still there touting a free gift if you subscribe to the Print and iPad editions :o

curt lee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
Sep 11, 2014, 02:18 AM

Aloha guys,

Just sent in my payment for the next two years.

Hope I get some $$$ back.
{'-'}

pairof9s
Senior User
Sep 11, 2014, 09:18 AM

I did too...but it was only $12. Guess that was as clear a sign as any that things were in dire straits for the magazine. Still, I hate to see it go and hope what staff is left can at least maintain the current catalog for awhile. Even older issues have great tips and tricks on how to use Macs and iOS devices (like I never knew I could teach Siri how to correctly pronounce names and words)

R.I.P. MacWorld

Grendelmon
Senior User
Sep 11, 2014, 12:55 PM

That's unfortunate. I hope the staff find employment elsewhere, quickly.

Anybody remember maccentral???

Forum Links
Forum Rules