Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Printing problem

Printing problem
Eldberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2015, 04:37 PM

This is a complete mystery to me.
I'm on an iMac running Yosemite. Normally I print on a network printer (Minolta C430). Yesterday I tried to print a small document from Pages. Everything looked normal on the screen, but the printer gave no output because it had a maintenance problem. So I connected my old HP LaserJet 1010 (via USB) and tried to print on that instead. As soon as I pressed Cmd-P, Pages quit. No dialog box, it just died. There was an error message saying a report would be sent to Apple.

Next thing, the Minolta's maintenance problem had been fixed, other people were using it so I switched back (in system settings) and tried using it. Pages quit again. I thought there must be something wrong with Pages so I exported the document to pdf and tried to print it from Acrobat. Acrobat quit. No dialog box, just died. Seems that attempting to print will close any app.

Another thing is that if I reopen the app after this happens, it automatically opens the document, too.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm bewildered.

Åke

ibook_steve
Feb 18, 2015, 09:10 PM

Try deleting and re-adding the printers in your preferences. You can also go through Apple's troubleshooting steps:

Mac OS X: How to reset the printing system - Apple Support

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Feb 19, 2015, 11:30 AM

Did you migrate the old driver for the printer to the new system? There are a bevy of new drivers for Yosemite, as the kernel for the OS changed a lot.

ibook_steve's hit it on the head.

Eldberg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2015, 11:34 AM

Thanks Steve, this solved the problem. Just removed all printers in the System Preferences > Print/Scan panel, then added whatever was on line. Now things work again.

A good day to you.

Åke

Forum Links
Forum Rules