Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Scratches on TiG4 screen

Scratches on TiG4 screen
gene
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 04:47 PM

Does anybody know of anything that can screen small scratches in the TiG4 screen?

Thank you.
Gene

Avenir
Mac Elite
May 22, 2001, 06:08 PM

search around the forums, this has been covered before. there is a product called klearscreen that should fix it, and things you can use to protect your laptop when it is fixed

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

mycatsnameis
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 09:07 PM

Gene, make sure that you're not looking at the infamous screen "smudges" first. Easy test, take a damp cloth and rub one of the areas gently. It may very well come off and this is what is recommended by Apple for cleaning the screens.
catman

gene  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2001, 12:00 AM

I have ordered a kit from Klear Screen - we'll see what happens. I think that what I have a real scratch. I have a feeling something fell on it. I just hope I can get rid of that scratch because it is aboutn 1/2" long and really looks ugly being black on the white background.

Thanks.
Gene

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2001, 08:15 AM

I can vouch for the Klearscreen stuff - works great. If it is a smudge, or oil from your fingers from the keyboard, the marks should be most vivid on a black screen -- and almost impossible to see on a white screen.

fwiw.

MadMacG4
May 23, 2001, 12:08 PM

A company by the name of JR Hill in NH makes leather PowerBook screen protectors. I have one for my PowerBook G4 and it works great. Its like $12.50 plus shipping. Has a lifetime warranty though. Here is the URL: http://www.jrhillandcompany.com They make one for the PowerBook G4 and for the PowerBook G3.

mycatsnameis
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2001, 01:32 PM

LOL not really a shameless unregistered plug there is it?

I guess that leather will really help protect you from scratching your screen when something gets dropped on it .

Gene, I would definitely give the damp cloth apporach a try first. I had inadvertanly dropped a phone hand set on the screen and it left big smudge/scratches on the screen that looked very similar to what I see with the keyboard marks. A little rubbing with a damp cloth took them off completely.

catman

gene  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2001, 02:05 PM

I have tried the "damp cloth" approach but I am afraid it is little more serious. I ordered a kit from KlearScreen. The lady on the phone said that their kit removes marks left by the keayboad keys. I couldn't remove those before on my boss's TiG4 a few weeks ago. I hope the kit helps my problem.

Gene

Fillman
Forum Regular
May 27, 2001, 01:57 AM

My G3 Powerbook collected some real scratches from the keys. I was able to clean them off with the Klear Screen.

I've since been using a thin translucent mousepad between the screen and the keys to keep the grease off since. Look for them at http://www.macpads.com

My pad matches my translucent OSX Terminal. Cute!

------------------
-------------------------------
Earth First
We'll mine the rest of
the planets later
- Earth First - We'll mine the rest of the planets later

gene  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2001, 02:21 AM

I have received a kit from Klearscreen a few days ago. The solutions seemed to help. The scratch I had was from something that fell on the screen. Beside the scratch that "something" left a black mark around the scratch. The solution from Klearscreen took the mark off and tha scratch itself is barely visible now. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Gene

Forum Links
Forum Rules