Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Microsoft reveals six versions of Windows 10 inbound this summer

Microsoft reveals six versions of Windows 10 inbound this summer
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 13, 2015, 01:42 PM

Microsoft has taken the wraps off of some more of its plans for Windows. In a blog post heralding the imminent arrival of the new version of the operating system, Microsoft has revealed no less than six versions of the operating system, including versions for mobile.

Announced today are specific versions of Windows 10 Home, Mobile, Pro, Enterprise, Education, and Mobile Enterprise. No solid information on the free upgrade for previous versions of Windows was revealed other than the same information already promulgated. The company reiterates in the post that "we are offering the full versions of Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 Pro as a free and easy upgrade for qualifying Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year after launch."

As with prior versions of windows, Windows 10 Enterprise, Mobile Enterprise, and Education fall under Microsoft's Volume Licensing program. "Paths" for upgrades will be made available, with the company claiming that they will make more information available closer to the summer launch of the operating system.

Not included in the count are versions of Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise for industry devices like ATMs, retail point of sale, handheld terminals, industrial robotics, or Windows 10 IoT Core devices. Also not discussed is how the company will handle virtualization users, such as users of Parallels or similar solutions.

prl99
Senior User
May 13, 2015, 02:34 PM

When will Microsoft realize it's easier on everyone if they only release one, good version of an OS instead of trying to mess around with six versions? As the article states, this doesn't even include all the specialized versions. The article also doesn't specify whether Windows 10 will be for both mobile and desktop so there could be even more versions. How are developers supposed to be able to handle all these versions? Keep it simple Microsoft!

pairof9s
Senior User
May 13, 2015, 03:52 PM

I hate it too but it actually makes sense for Microsoft. They're a software company of which Windows is their major cash cow. Unlike Apple, which is a full solution company, Microsoft cannot live by offering a single solution for such a product...they make more by breaking it out among sectors.

I'm sure it can be justified that each sector requires distinctive apps, drivers, networking, etc features, but make no mistake, this a monetary priority.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2015, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by pairof9s View Post
I hate it too but it actually makes sense for Microsoft. They're a software company of which Windows is their major cash cow. Unlike Apple, which is a full solution company, Microsoft cannot live by offering a single solution for such a product...they make more by breaking it out among sectors.

I'm sure it can be justified that each sector requires distinctive apps, drivers, networking, etc features, but make no mistake, this a monetary priority.
What if they were to release a single base version of the OS, and make all of the extra doodads available as paid downloads?

Microsoft has never seemed great at reducing complexity to me.

prl99
Senior User
May 13, 2015, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by pairof9s View Post

I would like to know if Microsoft actually delivers a reduced version of their OS for less money or if all they do is restrict access to certain features through their activation system, providing the same software to everyone. Microsoft doesn't include any extra programs, i.e., full Office, etc., they charge for these suites. Drivers never cost any money and usually are only delivered for the hardware that's used. Where they get more money is with extra security software, which should be included in the base software version. It used to be the only way to get encryption and security software was to buy the enterprise version (this might have changed), leaving lesser versions open to hacking and malware. You're right about it being for monetary reasons, especially since Microsoft has already paid for the programming and is simply making money with whatever licensing they can.

Remember, these versions don't include Windows server or any of the specialized server applications. Those all cost extra.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 14, 2015, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by prl99 View Post
When will Microsoft realize it's easier on everyone if they only release one, good version of an OS instead of trying to mess around with six versions? As the article states, this doesn't even include all the specialized versions. The article also doesn't specify whether Windows 10 will be for both mobile and desktop so there could be even more versions. How are developers supposed to be able to handle all these versions? Keep it simple Microsoft!
What do YOU think the difference between Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Mobile might be?

The way I read that, it's basically three versions, with the additional three primarily differing in licensing.

Grendelmon
Senior User
May 14, 2015, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by prl99 View Post
I would like to know if Microsoft actually delivers a reduced version of their OS for less money or if all they do is restrict access to certain features through their activation system, providing the same software to everyone. Microsoft doesn't include any extra programs, i.e., full Office, etc., they charge for these suites. Drivers never cost any money and usually are only delivered for the hardware that's used. Where they get more money is with extra security software, which should be included in the base software version. It used to be the only way to get encryption and security software was to buy the enterprise version (this might have changed), leaving lesser versions open to hacking and malware. You're right about it being for monetary reasons, especially since Microsoft has already paid for the programming and is simply making money with whatever licensing they can.

Remember, these versions don't include Windows server or any of the specialized server applications. Those all cost extra.
LOL...

What difference does it make? What's the difference between shareware and fully licensed software? You still get the same application, and the features are locked until you pay up.

Are you wanting to pay for an OS by the weight of the code? Only $9.99 per 100mb of installed binaries and libs!

Forum Links
Forum Rules