Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > New global LTE network launches exclusively for Apple iPad SIM

New global LTE network launches exclusively for Apple iPad SIM
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 12, 2015, 09:22 PM

A new network exclusively for users of the Apple SIM card included with recent 3G/LTE-capable iPads has launched. Canada-based Otono Networks has debuted the AlwaysOnline Wireless network, offering pay-as-you-go plans for LTE roaming in 45 countries. The new network, a partnership with Apple directly, will be featured on the company's web page devoted to the Apple SIM soon.

The Apple SIM is an unlocked SIM included in the latest cellular-capable iPad models for the benefit of travelers, who must use a variety of carriers as they go from one country or region to another. Listed partners that already offer roaming packages for the Apple SIM include AT&T and T-Mobile in the US, EE in the UK, GigSky (whichoffers service in 90 countries), and recent addition the au network from Japanese provider KDD, just added last month. The new AlwaysOnline network will offer service in many overlapping countries, but also places where the Apple SIM has not previously been supported, such as South Korea, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Malaysia, and several other countries.

Current countries supported by AlwaysOnline Wireless
Current countries supported by AlwaysOnline Wireless

The AlwaysOnline Wireless network offers service in the following countries: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovenia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, and the United Kingdom.

The new network specializes in short-term data plans, allowing users to pick a specific amount of time or a specific amount of data; some other roaming providers, such as AT&T, offer plans that may include a large or "unlimited" amount of data, but only for a month at a time or other limitations. Users can use the Apple SIM to set up short-term plans with supported carriers directly from within the iOS Settings app, making it much more convenient.

LTE plans with the AlwaysOnline Wireless network start at 99 cents an hour (for up to 15MB), as well as day-long plans -- shorter options than are supported by any of the other supported roaming carriers. The company says it has plans to expand its list of countries to match or exceed the 90 supported countries offered by GigSky.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2015, 09:06 AM

Does this service really include coverage across the vast wastelands of Siberia or into the jungles of the Amazon as the map at the Always Online website indicates? I doubt it.GSM coverage is spotty in the U.S. college town where I live. Only Verizon is reliable. And the Catch-22 of these plans is that if there's enough population density for cellular to work, there's usually WiFi available. Also, the use of "plans" in the article is a major handicap. As the website indicates: "you must purchase a new plan for each country you plan on visiting. At this time we do not have multi-country plans." This scheme is easier. It isn't easy.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2015, 10:14 AM

GSM coverage being spotty in the US doesn't mean anything.

Coverage would depend upon which local carrier, specifically, they partner with for network use.

If they strike a deal with E-Plus here in Germany, for example, coverage will be slow and spotty. If they deal with T-Mobile, it will be top-notch virtually everywhere.

FrankMtl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2015, 01:30 PM

Canadian based company offering no plans in.....Canada.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2015, 03:21 PM

They offer coverage in Canada, but only to visitors rather than residents. I imagine this has something to do with local regulations, but it appears to be the case in many of the countries when they offer service to visitors at present. Given some time, perhaps the coverage options for residents and the addition of more countries will change.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

mindwaves
Dec 13, 2015, 11:08 PM

Stupid question alert: Does the Apple iPad (Apple SIM model) cellular model have a separate tray for other SIM cards? Is the Apple SIM a hardware SIM or software one? All I have to do is to go in the settings app in a supported country/carrier and login with my credit card info and I am online?

FrankMtl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2015, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Charles Martin View Post
They offer coverage in Canada, but only to visitors rather than residents. I imagine this has something to do with local regulations, but it appears to be the case in many of the countries when they offer service to visitors at present. Given some time, perhaps the coverage options for residents and the addition of more countries will change.
Makes better sense, thanks Charles.

FrankMtl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2015, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Stupid question alert: Does the Apple iPad (Apple SIM model) cellular model have a separate tray for other SIM cards? Is the Apple SIM a hardware SIM or software one? All I have to do is to go in the settings app in a supported country/carrier and login with my credit card info and I am online?
Not a stupid question whatsoever. Knowing better based on Charles' answer,there's only 1 tray; you'd pop your usual sim assuming it's not an Apple sim) out to replace it with the Apple sim *when* you're travelling to a covered country. Now if you bought your iPad with the Apple Sim then it stays put and you simply buy the package that suits you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules