Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So, Bill Cosby's career is pretty much over, right?

So, Bill Cosby's career is pretty much over, right? (Page 6)
Thread Tools
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 30, 2015, 11:24 AM
 
Cosby has been charged in PA.
45/47
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 30, 2015, 12:40 PM
 
Speaking of the PA case and that case ALONE it's pretty evident that local politics and career advancement is at the heart of this decision ...

Democrat Kevin Steele won election Tuesday as Montgomery County district attorney, halting Republican Bruce L. Castor Jr.'s bid to reclaim his old job in a race that drew national attention for its potential impact on two high-profile investigations.

The win means Steele, the first assistant to outgoing District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman, will continue to oversee the case of Pennsylvania Attorney General Kathleen G. Kane.

He also could be poised to prosecute Bill Cosby.

The embattled entertainer, accused of sexual assault by dozens of women, became an unlikely central figure in the race's waning weeks. In ads and in interviews, Steele and Castor traded attacks over whether Cosby should have been arrested on sexual assault charges in 2005, when Castor led the office.


This summer, Ferman's office quietly reopened the investigation into the decade-old claim that Castor chose not to prosecute. Sources close to the case have said fresh charges against Cosby could come within weeks, although his accuser said she would not cooperate with Castor if he won.

Instead, Steele, a 48-year-old from Lower Merion, will become his party's first district attorney in Montgomery County, reflecting the party's continuing surge there. Democrats have steadily grown in registration over the last decade, and now hold an 8.8 percentage-point lead over the GOP. The victory margin over Castor was about as large.

A career prosecutor, Steele will lead an office of more than 100 lawyers and investigators in Pennsylvania's third largest county.

"You made a choice to take it forward, to fight for victims, to fight for people who have been the subject of crimes," he told a chanting crowd at a victory party in King of Prussia on Tuesday night. "And that is where I will continue to make a difference every day. . . . We're going to take a great office and we're going to make it greater."

His victory came on a day incumbent county Commissioners Josh Shapiro and Valerie Arkoosh, both Democrats, also cruised to reelection, bringing every row office along with them.

"This truly is a historic occasion," said party Chairman Marcel Groen, speaking to the crowd at a Doubletree Hotel in King of Prussia.

Castor wrote an online statement at 11:45 p.m. congratulating Steele and other winners.

"I tried one more time to pull the rabbit out of the hat," he wrote. "This time, the hat was simply out of rabbits."

Despite the attention that the Cosby case brought to the race, voter turnout countywide remained moderate. In interviews before or after they cast their ballots, many voters said that case had little impact on their decisions.

"It's a shame" that Cosby became a campaign issue, said Constance Carrier, 80, of Lower Merion.

She said she voted for Steele because she disagreed with Castor's politics.

"It has nothing to do with whether or not he should have prosecuted Bill Cosby," she said.

Dan West, 48, a Democrat from Bridgeport, said he voted for Castor because he was turned off by Steele's TV ads criticizing Castor's handling of the Cosby case.

"To a very large degree, I thought the ads were distasteful," West said.

Steele's campaign spent more than $92,000 on the ads, saying Castor "was not looking out for victims" when he declined to charge Cosby.


A former Temple University employee, Andrea Constand, had accused Cosby of drugging and molesting her in his Cheltenham mansion, and other women reportedly came forward with similar tales.

Castor said there was insufficient evidence to arrest Cosby in 2005, and fired back with his own ad suggesting Steele could have arrested Cosby when new information became available.

The District Attorney's Office reopened the case in July when a deposition Cosby gave in a civil lawsuit was released, according to sources with knowledge of the investigation.


Ferman, who won a judgeship Tuesday, has neither confirmed nor denied that she reopened the case. The statute of limitations for Constand's accusations will expire in January, as Ferman leaves office.

Several investigators traveled to Toronto in August to interview Constand, said her attorney, Dolores Troiani, and she has agreed to cooperate.

Troiani said her client would not cooperate if Castor were district attorney.

"How can we possibly trust him?" Troiani said.

Constand sued Castor for defamation last week, accusing him of publicly undermining her credibility, misstating facts about her case, and twisting her story to benefit his political ambitions.

Castor called the lawsuit "despicable," and maintained that he would prosecute Cosby if he has the chance.

After his victory Tuesday night, Steele declined to talk about the Cosby investigation except to say: "We are going to continue examining everything."

The Kane case, which he has been overseeing, is likely to draw an equally big spotlight. The attorney general is accused of perjury and other charges in August for leaking confidential grand jury information to a Philadelphia Daily News reporter. She has admitted the leak but denied it was illegal.

Her trial remains months away, though there are efforts underway in the legislature and the Supreme Court to unseat her.

Steele said it was a "hard-fought" campaign.

He said he was looking forward to getting off the campaign trail and back focusing on work in the courthouse, preparing for a Nov. 10 preliminary hearing for one of the perjury charges against Kane, and a murder trial later this month.
Steele tops Castor in contentious Montco D.A. race - philly-archives

OAW
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 30, 2015, 02:17 PM
 
I'm not sure doing the right thing for the wrong reason is a hill I'd want to die on in this subject.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 30, 2015, 03:13 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'm not sure doing the right thing for the wrong reason is a hill I'd want to die on in this subject.
I'm not looking to die on this hill. I'm just wondering what new evidence has surfaced that warrants a reversal of the original decision? Clearly there's no physical evidence that the woman involved was drugged otherwise he would have been prosecuted long ago. And we've already established that the media depictions of the deposition Cosby recently gave weren't accurate. He acknowledged popping pills with women and having sex with them during the 1970s (as was fairly common in that era) ... but he never acknowledged slipping a woman any kind of drug without her knowledge or consent as the headlines implied.

Ultimately, this is going to be a "he said / she said" case. It won't be about what can PROVEN ... it will be about who will be BELIEVED. And with Cosby's reputation in tatters as a result of the dozens of allegations from decades ago the prosecution has a good chance of pulling off a conviction on that basis alone. So we shall see ...

OAW
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 30, 2015, 03:30 PM
 
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 30, 2015, 03:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Just as I figured. Definitely a "he said / she said" case.
[
Yeah, that's what makes rapists so hard to catch. Of course, when it's his 40th "he said/she said" situation, doubts begin to arise about "he".
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 30, 2015, 03:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yeah, that's what makes rapists so hard to catch. Of course, when it's his 40th "he said/she said" situation, doubts begin to arise about "he".
True. And that's what's likely to do him in. The sheer volume of the allegations. Even if many of them are clearly BS.

OAW
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 30, 2015, 04:31 PM
 
Well I see you still don't think he's a serial assaulter. K.
     
Powerbook
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: München, Deutschland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 30, 2015, 04:52 PM
 
Good! In prison he can join O.J. Simpson, another oh so "magic negro", till he wasn't so magic anymore. "If I did it", yeah right.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 30, 2015, 05:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Well I see you still don't think he's a serial assaulter. K.
That's so not what I said. Cosby can be a rapist and some of the allegations can be BS at the same time.

OAW
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 30, 2015, 05:37 PM
 
...and some of the warrants for his arrest, as you allude to earlier.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 30, 2015, 05:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
...and some of the warrants for his arrest, as you allude to earlier.
You lost me on that one.

OAW
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 31, 2015, 01:36 PM
 
You claim the warrant politically motivated BS.

---

Reading some info, it sounds like he's already admitted to doing these things to the woman, so tough shit.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 31, 2015, 04:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You claim the warrant politically motivated BS.
I see what you mean. Well to be fair ... I didn't say it was "BS". I just said that politics and career advancement has certainly played a significant role in charges being filed.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar
Reading some info, it sounds like he's already admitted to doing these things to the woman, so tough shit.
And therein lies my point! He already said during the original investigation that he gave her 3 half-pills of Benadryl because she said she felt agitated. This when she came over to his house for the third time after she says she rebuffed his unwanted sexual advances twice before. Now she never said he "drugged" her without her knowledge or consent. She says she took the medicine willingly. As well as some wine. Thereafter they felt each other up. She says against her will because she was "frozen and paralyzed" (from Benadryl and wine? ). He says it was consensual. My point is that none of this is new. The previous prosecutor said that this wasn't enough evidence to file charges with. So what's changed? A new DA who clearly used the Cosby scandal to get elected. And the unsealing of a separate deposition where Cosby acknowledged giving a woman quaaludes .... again which she took willingly ... prior to having sex with her back in the 1970s. Which was not uncommon in that era. Just like it's not uncommon for people to do Ectasy and drink alcohol before having sex today. Now maybe this other deposition will be enough to convict Cosby. We shall see.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Dec 31, 2015 at 05:11 PM. )
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 31, 2015, 05:07 PM
 
And for the record, let me make my position on the Cosby scandal OVERALL very clear. At this stage in the game I view it very similar to how I viewed the OJ case. In that situation I felt that the police got busted trying to frame a guilty man. And so he walked as he should have. In this situation I think that it is highly unlikely that all 40+ women who have made allegations against Cosby are lying. At the same time I think it's highly unlikely that all of them are telling the truth. Which is why I said earlier ....

"Cosby can be a rapist and some of the allegations can be BS at the same time."

I'll reserve judgment on whether or not he should be convicted until after the trial.

OAW
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 2, 2016, 02:33 PM
 
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 3, 2016, 04:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Close. it's because he kept telling young blacks to pull up their pants and stop blaming "the man".
45/47
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 4, 2016, 12:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
I see what you mean. Well to be fair ... I didn't say it was "BS". I just said that politics and career advancement has certainly played a significant role in charges being filed.



And therein lies my point! He already said during the original investigation that he gave her 3 half-pills of Benadryl because she said she felt agitated. This when she came over to his house for the third time after she says she rebuffed his unwanted sexual advances twice before. Now she never said he "drugged" her without her knowledge or consent. She says she took the medicine willingly. As well as some wine. Thereafter they felt each other up. She says against her will because she was "frozen and paralyzed" (from Benadryl and wine? ). He says it was consensual. My point is that none of this is new. The previous prosecutor said that this wasn't enough evidence to file charges with. So what's changed? A new DA who clearly used the Cosby scandal to get elected. And the unsealing of a separate deposition where Cosby acknowledged giving a woman quaaludes .... again which she took willingly ... prior to having sex with her back in the 1970s. Which was not uncommon in that era. Just like it's not uncommon for people to do Ectasy and drink alcohol before having sex today. Now maybe this other deposition will be enough to convict Cosby. We shall see.

OAW
I have no idea where you're getting Benadryl from, and you're using it to portray consensual relations, which would be one hell of an exception to how things usually go.

Second, I'm curious if you see the previous da not charging Cosby on all this evidence as good judgment or as politically biased as you accuse this da as being.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 4, 2016, 03:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I have no idea where you're getting Benadryl from, and you're using it to portray consensual relations, which would be one hell of an exception to how things usually go.
In the link I posted above that article is basically a synopsis of the charging document. But it contains a link to the charging document in its entirety where it says "read the entire document here". It's in there.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Second, I'm curious if you see the previous da not charging Cosby on all this evidence as good judgment or as politically biased as you accuse this da as being.
The "politics" I'm speaking about is how BOTH of these men utilized the Cosby case in their recent election battle for DA. Mr. Castor is the former DA who declined to indict Cosby due to insufficient evidence. He was running against Mr. Steele .... a former Assistant DA .... to get his old job back. Mr. Steele ... the victor in the recent DA race launched attack ads against Mr. Castor alleging that he was "not looking out for victims" by not indicting Cosby when he was DA. Mr. Castor responded with attack ads of his own saying that the judge's release of Cosby's deposition in a separate case wasn't available during the time from when he was the DA but that it was during the time when Mr. Steele was an Assistant DA so he could have filed charges himself afterwards. But he didn't and sat on it until right before the statute of limitations was about to run out in order to use it as a political weapon against Mr. Castor in the recent race for DA.

OAW
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 4, 2016, 06:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
In the link I posted above that article is basically a synopsis of the charging document. But it contains a link to the charging document in its entirety where it says "read the entire document here". It's in there.
C'mon, don't give me the "look for yourself" rather than answer the question. Best I can find is that's Cosby's assertion, which would make me ask the obvious: Why take him at his word?



Originally Posted by OAW View Post
The "politics" I'm speaking about is how BOTH of these men utilized the Cosby case in their recent election battle for DA. Mr. Castor is the former DA who declined to indict Cosby due to insufficient evidence. He was running against Mr. Steele .... a former Assistant DA .... to get his old job back. Mr. Steele ... the victor in the recent DA race launched attack ads against Mr. Castor alleging that he was "not looking out for victims" by not indicting Cosby when he was DA. Mr. Castor responded with attack ads of his own saying that the judge's release of Cosby's deposition in a separate case wasn't available during the time from when he was the DA but that it was during the time when Mr. Steele was an Assistant DA so he could have filed charges himself afterwards. But he didn't and sat on it until right before the statute of limitations was about to run out in order to use it as a political weapon against Mr. Castor in the recent race for DA.
Okay, that's too much of a soap opera for me to digest. Perhaps its the right thing for the wrong reason. It doesn't strike me as important to Cosby's overall guilt. Much like OJ going to prison on robbing someone, I'm probably not going to shed a tear if Cosby gets his comeuppance do to political chicanery. Judge me how you will.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 4, 2016, 06:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
C'mon, don't give me the "look for yourself" rather than answer the question. Best I can find is that's Cosby's assertion, which would make me ask the obvious: Why take him at his word?
Well naturally it's Cosby's assertion. Hence why I described the entire matter as a "he said / she said" situation. There's no physical evidence to confirm he gave her Benadryl nor to prove he gave her something far more powerful.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Okay, that's too much of a soap opera for me to digest. Perhaps its the right thing for the wrong reason. It doesn't strike me as important to Cosby's overall guilt. Much like OJ going to prison on robbing someone, I'm probably not going to shed a tear if Cosby gets his comeuppance do to political chicanery. Judge me how you will.
Again we shall see how it pans out. It's just ironic that this particular case doesn't really fit the "Cosby slipped a woman drugs unbeknownst to her and raped her while she was passed out" narrative that is dominating the headlines.

OAW
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 4, 2016, 07:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Well naturally it's Cosby's assertion. Hence why I described the entire matter as a "he said / she said" situation. There's no physical evidence to confirm he gave her Benadryl nor to prove he gave her something far more powerful.
Yeah we went over this. Past complaints lowers his credibility.


Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Again we shall see how it pans out. It's just ironic that this particular case doesn't really fit the "Cosby slipped a woman drugs unbeknownst to her and raped her while she was passed out" narrative that is dominating the headlines.
It doesn't? I read he gave her drugs and assaulted her while incapacitated (but conscious). Sort of a po-tay-to po-tah-to situation.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 4, 2016, 08:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yeah we went over this. Past complaints lowers his credibility.
It certainly does. Just as the "Bill Cosby drugged and raped me but I continued to date him for several years afterwards" doesn't strike many as being very credible as well.

OAW
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 6, 2016, 05:27 PM
 
It would appear Cosby has dodged a bullet. The statute of limitations hasn't run out on this case.

LA Won't File Charges Against Cosby - The Daily Beast

OAW
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 6, 2016, 08:14 PM
 
Another Bill has it bad, now.

I was 35 years old when Bill Clinton, Ark. Attorney General raped me and Hillary tried to silence me. I am now 73….it never goes away.
— Juanita Broaddrick
From her Twitter feed. Yikes.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 6, 2016, 09:07 PM
 
^^^

This allegation hard been around since 1999 IIRC. Certainly not a welcome development for the Clinton campaign but I can't imagine them not anticipating this.

OAW
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 7, 2016, 01:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Another Bill has it bad, now.



From her Twitter feed. Yikes.
The quality of this detail had me thinking it was a chongo post. It's a legitimate discussion to be had, but Jesus start a PL thread if you want to have it.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 7, 2016, 01:10 PM
 
Well, this has pretty much been my point all along...

     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 7, 2016, 01:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
It certainly does. Just as the "Bill Cosby drugged and raped me but I continued to date him for several years afterwards" doesn't strike many as being very credible as well.

OAW
I can give you that. But "My husband drugged and had extramarital affairs with women for 40 years while I knew" also sound far fetched but is likely true as well.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 7, 2016, 02:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The quality of this detail had me thinking it was a chongo post. It's a legitimate discussion to be had, but Jesus start a PL thread if you want to have it.
No. There's not enough substance for an entire thread, but thanks for the recommendation.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 7, 2016, 04:22 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Another Bill has it bad, now.



From her Twitter feed. Yikes.
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
^^^

This allegation hard been around since 1999 IIRC. Certainly not a welcome development for the Clinton campaign but I can't imagine them not anticipating this.

OAW
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
The quality of this detail had me thinking it was a chongo post. It's a legitimate discussion to be had, but Jesus start a PL thread if you want to have it.
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
No. There's not enough substance for an entire thread, but thanks for the recommendation.
Perhaps it does deserve a PL thread. New "bimbo eruption" may be imminent. Hillary may need to form a new bimbo eruption team.

Posted Thursday, January 7th 2016 @ 10am by Hannity.com Staff
Since returning to the campaign trail as an advocate for Hillary, Bill Clinton has been harried by renewed interest in his past sexual misconduct as well as Hillary’s alleged role in intimidating his victims into silence.

Roger Stone, author of the New York Times bestselling "The Clinton’s War On Women", claims that he has personal knowledge of previously unknown victims who are preparing to come forward with accusations against the former president.

"I identified 24 women who’ve been assaulted by Bill Clinton," Stone said on The Sean Hannity Show. "Now some of these women are still terrified. Some of them have had IRS audits. Some of them have had their families threatened. But others have come forward."

"Are you saying there's women whose names we don't know that are mentioned in your book or not mentioned in your book that are going to come forward and start telling those stories?" Sean asked.

"Yes, I think it’s very probable," Stone responded. "Not all of them because some of them are still terrified, their families have been threatened, their lives have been threatened."

"Are we talking about affairs, or are we talking about assaults?" asked Hannity.

"We’re talking about assaults," declared Stone. "I don’t want to get out ahead of myself but I think as Broaddrick, and [Kathleen] Willey, and Jones speak out, other women are encouraged who have been assaulted, who have been threatened by Hillary are encouraged by the courage of those three women."

Listen to Roger Stone’s bombshell revelation along with author Ed Klein on The Sean Hannity Show:



Read more: Bombshell Claim: More Clinton Sexual Assault Victims Are About To Come Forward | The Sean Hannity Show
45/47
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 7, 2016, 05:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
It would appear Cosby has dodged a bullet. The statute of limitations hasn't run out on this case.

LA Won't File Charges Against Cosby - The Daily Beast

OAW
More detail ....

Bill Cosby won't be charged in two cases investigated by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office, the DA announced Wednesday.

According to a charge evaluation sheet, prosecutors think neither of the two allegations could have resulted in charges within the statute of limitations.

The accusers, listed as Jane Does No. 1 and No. 2, had accused Cosby of sexual assault.

"We are satisfied that the Los Angeles DA's office fully and fairly evaluated all the facts and evidence, and came to the right conclusion," said Chris Tayback, a lawyer for Cosby.

Jane Doe No. 2 was identified by her lawyer as Chloe Goins, who accused the 78-year-old comedian of drugging her and sexually assaulting her at the Playboy Mansion in August 2008.

Prosecutors in District Attorney Jackie Lacey's office said the two potential criminal offenses described by Jane Doe No. 2 would be misdemeanors, and they were barred by the statute of limitations from prosecuting.

The office looked at possible felonies, such as sexual battery by restraint, but said the evidence was insufficient to prove a crime was committed.

Goins' attorney, Spencer Kuvin, said she was disappointed.

"We recognize that the bar for criminal prosecution, which is proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, is extremely high," he said. "We nonetheless commend the efforts of the LAPD and the District Attorney's Office with respect to their criminal investigation."

Investigators learned Cosby was in New York the weekend of the event at which the woman said Cosby assaulted her. He attended only one party at the Playboy Mansion that year and it was in February, the charge evaluation sheet said.

Also, officials said a woman who Jane Doe No. 2 said could place her at the party told investigators she didn't know the accuser and has never been to the Playboy Mansion.


CNN affiliate KABC reported in October that Goins filed a lawsuit against Cosby in federal court. Kuvin said the case is proceeding.

The other case investigated by prosecutors involved a woman who alleged that Cosby forcibly raped her in 1965 when she was 17 years old. The statute of limitations had expired, the DA's office said.
So the one woman had her claims proven to be untruthful. And the other woman is making allegations of forcible rape from 50 years ago. Ok.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Jan 7, 2016 at 07:48 PM. )
     
starman
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jan 7, 2016, 09:05 PM
 
This is why I'm not 100% on board with this whole "it must be true" BS. So many stories are falling apart.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Powerbook
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: München, Deutschland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 24, 2016, 05:55 PM
 
Bill Cosby to stand trial for assault charges, judge rules
Norristown, Pennsylvania (CNN)
More than a decade after he was first accused of sexual misconduct, Bill Cosby will go to trial.
A Pennsylvania judge found enough evidence during a hearing Tuesday to proceed with a criminal trial. It's not clear when his trial will start.
Cosby faces three counts of felony indecent assault from a 2004 case involving Andrea Constand, an employee at his alma mater, Temple University. She was the first of more than 50 women who have accused Cosby of sexual misconduct.
If convicted, Cosby faces up to 30 years in prison.
Cosby's defense attorney slammed the decision to move forward with a trial.

"The evidence presented today was evidence of nothing. They had 12 years to bring an accuser to confront Mr. Cosby. They chose not to," defense attorney Brian McMonagle said.
"There was no evidence of a crime here. And the inconsistencies that plagued this investigation from the beginning continue to plague it now. This case should end immediately."
But Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele said the prosecution only had to "prove that a crime was committed and the defendant's connected to the crime."
"It's a preliminary hearing," Steele said. "Hearsay is admissible, and we're just over the next hurdle."

Accusations from both sides
As he walked into court Tuesday, the 78-year-old comedian and actor, who suffers from vision problems, held onto the arm of his spokesman, Andrew Wyatt. During the hearing, Cosby appeared to listen attentively and occasionally stretched his neck.
The prosecution's first witness, Katherine Hart of the Montgomery County Detective Bureau, read parts of a statement by Constand in court.
In the statement, Constand said Cosby invited her to his home in 2004 and told her to wear comfortable clothes. Constand said she had been grappling with issues in her life, and that Cosby gave her a few pills to "take the edge off."
Afterward, Constand's statement said, Cosby sexually assaulted her.
Constand was not in court for the hearing Tuesday, a fact that Cosby's defense team tried to capitalize on.
"After hearing the weak, inconsistent and incredible evidence presented, it is clear why the prosecution did not allow its witness to speak and be confronted by the person she has accused," McMonagle said.
"Instead, they chose to rely on an 11-year-old hearsay statement from that witness, riddled with numerous corrections and inconsistencies."
When questioned by the defense, Hart acknowledged that she was not present for Constand's entire statement to police in January 2005.
Another detective finished the questioning that day. That evening, Constand was allowed to review her statement. The defense said Constand crossed out or redacted parts of the statement.
"You're basically here to tell us what somebody told another detective 11 years ago about what happened 12 years ago?" McMonagle asked Hart.
"Yes," Hart replied.
What did she cross out?
The defense repeatedly mentioned that parts of Constand's statement were crossed out or redacted.
For example, when recalling a visit to a casino where Cosby was performing, Constand said Cosby invited her to his room as he was going back.
Constand initially said she went to the room, lay down on the bed with Cosby, and that they were touching. But she later crossed that out, saying the two were merely close.
Credibility is not part of the preliminary hearing, CNN's Jean Casarez said -- consent is.

The first public case
Constand was the first person to publicly allege sexual assault by Cosby.
After going to police, authorities declined to charge Cosby.
Bruce Castor, the Montgomery County district attorney at the time of the alleged incident, did not file sexual assault charges against Cosby, citing "insufficient credible and admissible evidence."
Ex-DA says that he 'bound' Pennsylvania by not prosecuting Cosby

So why now?
The parties reached a civil settlement in 2006, but the case was reopened as new evidence came to light, including a number of other accusers coming forward and some of Cosby's remarks during a 2005 deposition that were recently unsealed.
Steele, the newly elected district attorney, turned the Cosby case into an election issue. He promptly reopened it after taking office.
Cosby was charged with three felonies and arraigned in December, then released on $1 million bond.
Cosby has denied the allegations. He sued Constand in February, claiming she violated terms of the 2006 settlement.

Other accusers
Judy Huth has filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court claiming sexual battery and infliction of emotional distress during an incident at the Playboy Mansion, according to court documents. The alleged sexual assault took place in 1974 when Huth was 15 years old. According to court documents, Huth and a 16-year-old friend met with Cosby and eventually went to the Playboy Mansion with him. He then proceeded to sexually molest her by attempting to put his hand down her pants and then taking her hand in his hand and performing a sex act on himself without her consent, according to the documents. Cosby's lawyer said Huth's claims are absolutely false and he accused her of engaging in extortion after Cosby rejected her outrageous demand for money in order not to make her allegations public.

Cosby has been accused of sexual misconduct by more than 50 women. But he will never stand trial in the vast majority of cases because the statutes of limitations have passed.
On Friday, a federal judge unsealed Camille Cosby's February deposition in a Massachusetts lawsuit filed against her husband.
At one point, she told a lawyer she had "no opinion" on whether Cosby's admission to the alleged procurement of Quaaludes for women he wanted to have sex with violated their marriage vows. Cosby has denied he sexually assaulted any women.

Bill Cosby to stand trial for assault charges, judge rules - CNN.com
Aut Caesar aut nihil.
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
May 24, 2016, 06:46 PM
 
Freudian slip?
45/47
     
Powerbook
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: München, Deutschland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2016, 10:37 AM
 
How Cosby Survivors Fought to Change Colorado’s Sexual-Assault Law — and Won

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/06/how-...-rape-law.html
Aut Caesar aut nihil.
     
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Shaddim's sock drawer
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jun 12, 2016, 01:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by Powerbook View Post
How Cosby Survivors Fought to Change Colorado’s Sexual-Assault Law — and Won

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/06/how-...-rape-law.html
It's just an extension of the statute of limitations for certain felonies, effectively doubling it in most cases, it still doesn't help 90% of Cosby's alleged victims (because their cases are still too old). They still must produce evidence as if an attack had happened last month, and that's nigh-impossible if the defense has a lawyer with a pulse (and I guarantee Cosby's will be tip-top).
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr
     
Powerbook
Mac Elite
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: München, Deutschland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 3, 2016, 03:40 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
It's just an extension of the statute of limitations for certain felonies, effectively doubling it in most cases, it still doesn't help 90% of Cosby's alleged victims (because their cases are still too old). They still must produce evidence as if an attack had happened last month, and that's nigh-impossible if the defense has a lawyer with a pulse (and I guarantee Cosby's will be tip-top).
Yeah, I get that. I also suppose he will never see the inside of a jail cell (thanks to powerful lawyers, O.J. style)
I assume the best one can do is to publically shame this rape ape out of new jobs permanently and pressure the stations not to show his material anymore.

Latest chapter: Cosby wants Andrea Constand to refund settlement
Cosby wants Andrea Constand to refund settlement
Aut Caesar aut nihil.
     
Oneota
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Urbandale, IA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2016, 02:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by Powerbook View Post
I also suppose he will never see the inside of a jail cell (thanks to powerful lawyers, O.J. style)
Well, that, and the fact that he's now legally blind.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Jul 11, 2016, 02:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by Oneota View Post
Well, that, and the fact that he's now legally blind.
HAH!

You've been missed.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,