Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > As much as it pains me to move off my Ti....

As much as it pains me to move off my Ti....
Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2002, 10:16 AM

I've been caught by the evil corporate police. They can't support the Mac environment for only a few users. So, I need to spec a PC laptop that is as similar to my Ti as possible in power, weight, size, performance.

So, has anyone done this already. My main reqs:

harddisk & memory : maxed out ! 50Gb and 768Mb minimum.
14" screen at 1024x768 minimum
Internal 802.11b
Modem, 10/100 ethernet, iee1394 firewire, multiple USB.
PCcard slots are nice, but only one is important.
Internal DVD/CD - must be in the laptop, not the dock. Don't care about CD-RW.
Bluetooth would be neat, but not essential.
External composite or S-VHS out is needed.

Would really appreciate some help here guys...
Ben.

jamez bond
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2002, 11:27 AM

One of my brothers has got a Dell inspiron 8100. The other one had the same, but it was stolen....(yes, I know...frustrating).
He got his money back on insurance, and is between inspiron 8200 (they don't carry the 8100 anymore, I think) and the Ti.
Think he is going for the Ti....

If you want serious power at a fair price, check them out.
Yahoo! Got my new Macbook!
[FONT="Verdana"]My Blog[/FONT]

rambo47
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2002, 11:53 AM

My wintel-using friends have had bad luck with Dells lately. All kinds of faults like bad mobo's and bad graphics cards, hard drives, all point to Dell's quallity not being what it used to be. Although their tech support is still the class of the industry.

Take a look at the IBM ThinkPad A31p. While not cheap at $3600, neither is the TiBook 667, and the ThinkPad certainly has all the stuff you list. As far as quallity goes, folks rave about the IBM laptops now.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2002, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Brit Ben:
<STRONG>I've been caught by the evil corporate police. They can't support the Mac environment for only a few users. So, I need to spec a PC laptop that is as similar to my Ti as possible in power, weight, size, performance.</STRONG>
Isn't there some app you just have to have to do your job and that application is only available for MacOS? :-)

Worked for me once in a company with over 100K employees, not to get a Mac, but to escape corporate IT software policies. I was thereafter allowed to buy and install whatever I needed.

Mike

christ
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2002, 04:23 PM

DELL i8100 (now 8200) meets most of your requirements (not weight - this mutha is _heavy_) - see my contribution in this thread for a blow by blow.

Sorry to hear that the IT guys got you.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

Noc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2002, 06:21 PM

Pretty much every PC company offers a laptop that meets the features you list. Finding one that meets those features, and is only 5lbs is a little more difficult. I believe IBM, Compaq, and Toshiba all have models that are 5 lbs with the feature set you listed.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2002, 07:10 PM

yeah, the dells are like lead.

[ 04-08-2002: Message edited by: fulmer ]

The Dude
Banned
Apr 8, 2002, 11:26 PM

Try and shoot for an IBM ThinkPad. Built to last, and perform like champs, they're worth it.

I Have Questions
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2002, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by The Dude:
<STRONG>Try and shoot for an IBM ThinkPad. Built to last, and perform like champs, they're worth it.</STRONG>
I second that. I used to have a Dell laptop and that sucker weighs a ton! It's nothing like a Ti. Sorry you have to go to the dark side, but the IBM is the way to go if you have to. Just keep telling yourself that IBM makes chips for Apple - maybe it won't seem so wrong

christ
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2002, 05:19 AM

Be careful about the input device. Pretty much all of the PC laptops have their own combination of pads, buttons, nipples and other such devices for moving the mouse pointer. Try as many as you can to find a system that you can work without pain.

As an aside - what OSes do your IT folk support? Are they limited to one (which?) or do they support multiple Windowses? If the latter, what is the corporate line that allows multiple OSes as long as they are not MacOS? Can you sell the MacOS as 'UNIX - kinda like Linux but prettier'. It seems a shame that a company enlightened enough to let you have a TiPB up to now has suddenly gone dorky enough to get rid of them - especially as it is going to cost them around 2 grand for each of the TiPBs that it replaces.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

rhansen_x
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2002, 12:13 PM

Have you considered a move to a new employer. One that is not running a Windows dictatorship?
Forget the curveball Rickey, give 'im the heater.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2002, 12:28 PM

I would go for IBM for quality and durability, but most have that damn trackpoint eraser nubbin thing. Some folks swaer by it, but I just can't get used to it.

I would go for Sony for the style. Their quality and reliability leave something to be desired- but if the company is paying for it, they look cool and have good features.

Paco

PrinceMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2002, 01:55 PM

Yeah, the Thinkpad is the way to go. I have one at work and it's been a pleasure to use compared to the Dell I used to have. As for the nub, it's really quite nice. I've actually gotten so use to it that's it's a bit difficult for me to go back to the trackpad on my Ti. The real selling point of the nub is that I can effectively use it as scroll wheel.

Still if you can convince your company that you can go without support, keep the PB.

PrinceMac

Brit Ben  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2002, 11:55 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going hunting for a good IBM laptop then. Windows XP (blergh) or Windows 2000 is the company policy, and I'll probably get a 60Gig disk to dual boot into linux - or maybe even darwin :o)

Any further advice on specific IBM thinkpad models appreciated.

Ben.

Brit Ben  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2002, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Brit Ben:
<STRONG>Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going hunting for a good IBM laptop then. Windows XP (blergh) or Windows 2000 is the company policy, and I'll probably get a 60Gig disk to dual boot into linux - or maybe even darwin :o)

Any further advice on specific IBM thinkpad models appreciated.

Ben.</STRONG>
I forgot to say, I'm actually looking at the Thinkpad T23...

Titanium Case (but charcoal)
14.1 TFT @ 1400 x 1050 resolution
s3Graphics Supersavage 16Mb
P3 1.2GHz / 133Mhz bus
512Mb RAM
60Gb ATA-100
CD-RW/DVD Rom
Integrated Modem, 10/100 ethernet and 802.11b
2 USB, S-Video out, NO FIREWIRE

Size:

5.6lbs, 1.3 Inches thick.

Not too bad eh ?

Ben.

sibellc
Apr 10, 2002, 01:26 PM

Toshiba laptops are also quite well built and durable. A little cheaper than IBM I think. Avoid Compaq like the devil!

CBS

Forum Links
Forum Rules