Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > First Look: Apple 21.5-inch iMac with 4K P3 Retina display

First Look: Apple 21.5-inch iMac with 4K P3 Retina display
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 30, 2016, 01:20 PM

The 21.5-inch iMac with 4K P3 Retina display -- like its big brother, the 27-inch iMac with 5K P3 Retina display -- is among Apple's best bang-for-your buck Macs. The way it blends a thin, compact enclosure with a top-notch display panel and decent computing components as a single solution is particularly elegant. It's price point is also attractive, offering potentially more performance than either Apple's Mac mini line, or Apple's MacBook Pro line for each dollar spent. Read on to find out our first impressions of the 21.5-inch 4K iMac, the first 21.5-inch iMac to get the Retina display treatment.

The centerpiece of any iMac its display -- in this regard, Apple has really upped its game in the iMac range over the past couple of generations. The late 2014 27-inch iMac was the first fitted with a Retina display, after trailing Apple's MacBook Pro range, which have featured Retina displays since mid-2012. However, once the panel technology became available, Apple was quick to bring it across the 27-inch iMac, equpping it with a stunning 5K Retina display. The surprise, however, was that Apple was able to introduce the technology at an unexpectedly modest premium, particularly when compared to the exorbitant cost of comparable standalone Ultra HD monitors.

Ultra HD took another 12 months to reach the 21.5-inch iMac, but again, Apple has been able to introduce it at a modest premium. The new 4K iMac starts at $1,499, which is a mere $200 extra over mid-range 1080p 21.5-inch iMac, yet it also comes with an upgraded processor. However, the step up in viewing quality is the real attraction here. At 4096x2304, it has a pixel density four times greater than the 1080p model, which makes reading text and viewing web pages on it like looking at printed text on a page. Its P3 color gamut also offers 25 percent greater color accuracy than the standard 1080p model, making it a great choice for photo and video editing.

The entry-level 4K iMac comes with a 3.1GHz fifth-gen Intel Core i5 quad-core chip, and is matched with 8GB of RAM, although this is configurable up to 16GB. However, unlike the current 27-inch iMac, which has user-upgradable RAM, you will need to buy your RAM upgrade directly from Apple as a BTO option for an additional $200. You can also upgrade the chip to an Intel Core i7 quad-core part for another $200, which takes clock speed up to 3.3GHz, but which also adds Intel's hyper-threading tech for additional performance. With either the Core i5 or Core i7, however, you still get the same integrated Intel Iris Pro 6200 graphics. The performance of the Iris Pro 6200 is nothing to sniff at, delivering similar performance to the discrete Nvidia GeForce GT 750M mobile GPU that was found in the previous generation 15-inch MacBook Pro.

The weakest aspect of the 21.5-inch 4K iMac, in its standard configuration, is its 1TB spinning platter hard drive, which is inexplicably a 5,400rpm type. In this day and age of fast flash storage and plunging hard drive prices, it should be at the very least a 7,200rpm model. If you are a patient person and don't mind apps taking a few more seconds to open, processor intensive tasks like video rendering taking longer, or waiting longer for files to transfer, this won't concern you. However, if you want to get the most out of your machine, you should seriously consider upgrading to the 1TB Fusion Drive option for an extra $100. Either that, or you could try booting the base 4K model (our test unit) from a fast external hard drive to compensate, which we plan to try as a possible workaround.

You could also opt for the fast all-flash storage option up front, which starts from $200 for 256GB model -- you will be trading off on-board storage space, but will get blistering system performance in return, however. With two Thunderbolt 2 ports and four USB 3 ports, you will have plenty of options when it comes to fast, external storage options. Wireless connectivity is also solid, with support for Wi-Fi 802.11ac and Bluetooth 4.2. As an added bonus, the new iMacs are also shipping with the new Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse 2 as standard, although you can opt to switch out the Magic Mouse 2 for the Magic Trackpad 2 for an extra $50. You can also opt to have your iMac shipped with both the Magic Mouse 2 and the Magic Trackpad 2 for an extra $129.

We will be giving the 4K iMac the full review treatment, and will investigate just how much the 5,400rpm hard drive affects its overall performance. It could be the potential sweet spot in Apple's Mac line up, but in casual early use, it is already apparent that the hard drive could be its Achilles heel.

-- Sanjiv Sathiah
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Jan 31, 2016 at 10:05 AM. )

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2016, 10:51 AM

Another iMac? I hate iMacs! I used to own one and it taught me why the rest of the market shuns all-in-one computers. They're stupid. Problems in them are difficult and expensive to fix. The DVD drive in mine became useless because getting in to remove a jammed DVD was too much trouble. A friend is terrified that a little jiggle on his iMac screen means his display and hence computer will die. I do book layout. I can't afford the delays that would create. I have the last good desktop that Apple sold, a 2012 Mac mini. If either of my large displays dies, I can replace it in 15 minutes. I already have a spare ready. But any future with Apple seems unlikely. Other than their hideously overpriced and rarely upgraded Mac Pro, Apple doesn't make a replacement for my current desktop. Note I said a mere replacement. Apple isn't even keeping up with prior models, much less improving their products. The latest Mac mini is a giant step down. Why can't Apple make what many creative professionals would love, a Drobo-like Mac mini whose multiple drives could be configured for speed (video work) or auto-backup (most other design)? Apple's obsession with pretty, little-girl-Barbie-like iMacs is ticking many of us off. And keep in mind that many of us use Adobe's Creative Cloud. Starting just after breakfast, I could move all my design work from OS X to Windows before breaking for lunch. That's true for almost all of us. There is no OS lock-in.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Deezy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2016, 11:04 AM

So disappointed when I see Apple, which sells its product as a premium brand, include 5400rpm drives and / or mobile-level processors in a desktop machine. If I am going to pay more for a premium product, their baseline model needs to be a tad beefier than what they are offering.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 31, 2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
Another iMac? I hate iMacs! I used to own one and it taught me why the rest of the market shuns all-in-one computers. They're stupid. Problems in them are difficult and expensive to fix. The DVD drive in mine became useless because getting in to remove a jammed DVD was too much trouble. A friend is terrified that a little jiggle on his iMac screen means his display and hence computer will die. I do book layout. I can't afford the delays that would create. I have the last good desktop that Apple sold, a 2012 Mac mini. If either of my large displays dies, I can replace it in 15 minutes. I already have a spare ready. But any future with Apple seems unlikely. Other than their hideously overpriced and rarely upgraded Mac Pro, Apple doesn't make a replacement for my current desktop. Note I said a mere replacement. Apple isn't even keeping up with prior models, much less improving their products. The latest Mac mini is a giant step down. Why can't Apple make what many creative professionals would love, a Drobo-like Mac mini whose multiple drives could be configured for speed (video work) or auto-backup (most other design)? Apple's obsession with pretty, little-girl-Barbie-like iMacs is ticking many of us off. And keep in mind that many of us use Adobe's Creative Cloud. Starting just after breakfast, I could move all my design work from OS X to Windows before breaking for lunch. That's true for almost all of us. There is no OS lock-in.
You already know the answer to all this, you just don't like it. Neither do I, but its the way it is.

If nobody bought a mac this quarter, Apple would barely feel it in its financials. Yeah, it's ticking "many of us" off, but we are outnumbered by at least one order of magnitude by the users who want thin and attractive.

This is what it is! This is how its going to be, for the foreseeable future. If it bothers us, than we should stop saying "we can switch, and what are you going to do about it?" The answer is nothing. If Windows is a better platform for all of us to get work done, then its time to go.

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 31, 2016, 06:37 PM

Well, I consider the inclusion of any standard HDD to be a bit ridiculous at this point. The single most important part of a computer's speed, for MOST people, isn't raw processing speed at all, but rather user-responsiveness. If Apple really wanted to go budget, they could have at least included a traditional Hybrid Drive (as opposed to a Fusion drive), which increases user-responsiveness tremendously over a traditional HDD at almost zero additional cost. And, as Mike says, the only thing we can really do is put up with it or move on. For me, I'm moving on. For the first time in nearly 2 decades I've begun working professionally on Windows PC again. Just picked-up an cheapo Chrome Book to give as a gift (and, it was brilliant. First time ever using a Chrome Book and it and it was easier to setup than any current Mac or iOS device). I see it this way; with the loss of all that was great about Apple products, we have sunk to the lowest-common-denominator, where everything which remains more-or-less sucks equally. Might as well just roll with it. Since there is no advantage to purchasing Apple products anymore (unless you are into pure aesthetics; I'm not, they were a nice on-the-side benefit to me - but never the reason for a purchase), at least we are free to purchase whatever saves us the most money. I won't stop complaining, because the fall of Apple (in terms of product quality) is far too recent and far-too bitter a pill to swallow. Apple will feel it eventually, especially as since so many of us work professionally in the computer industry in one form or another are "displeased" (You really, really don't want to know how far Apple's network tools such as ARD have fallen... It's appalling.) People aren't sheep forever. At least, I sure hope not. (Now, I'll post this, and immediately find 27 typos...)

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jan 31, 2016, 07:55 PM

When you make your decisions about money, don't just consider the up-front purchase costs. Support isn't free, nor is downtime. We're going to run a series on business decisions and computer hardware soon, and we'll be talking about some of this.

I'm a tinkerer. I love/d the old slab-side Mac Pro. I know full well that they're never going to make a machine like that again for me, but that doesn't mean, that, for now, Apple's ecosystem isn't still the best. I have all kinds of computers, Wintel included, as well as some Android-based products. There are tradeoffs on all sides.

How does that old saying go about Democracy? It's the worst form of government, except for all the other ones? I've done a lot of independent work with switchers, who then switched back, because they made the decisions rashly. On the other hand, there are some that just stayed switched.

If you switch over, go in eyes open, and make sure that you're fully cognizant of all the costs, not just "Apple's leaving what I need behind."

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2016, 08:26 PM

A lot of these comments represent what happens when people pick their computer manufacturer in the same fashion they pick their football team: a sense of loyalty and with that disappointment, prone to fairweather fandom, and the notion that you have to be on one side or the other.

It's ok to like the Cowboys and the Patriots at the same time, you know. You can cheer for them both in accordance with your flighty emotions and feelings.

"This was the last straw! I'm leaving the platform entirely!"

No, you're not. You'll be back next season to see what's up. Save us the overly-dramatic exit song and dance.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Jan 31, 2016, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
You already know the answer to all this, you just don't like it. Neither do I, but its the way it is.

If nobody bought a mac this quarter, Apple would barely feel it in its financials. Yeah, it's ticking "many of us" off, but we are outnumbered by at least one order of magnitude by the users who want thin and attractive.
Agreed, but I guess we're hoping that if Apple hears enough outcry, they aren't so far gone yet that they can't be saved.

And, maybe not THIS quarter, but a few quarters down the road, they will.

Originally Posted by panjandrum View Post
I see it this way; with the loss of all that was great about Apple products, we have sunk to the lowest-common-denominator, where everything which remains more-or-less sucks equally. Might as well just roll with it. ... I won't stop complaining, because the fall of Apple (in terms of product quality) is far too recent and far-too bitter a pill to swallow. Apple will feel it eventually, especially as since so many of us work professionally in the computer industry in one form or another are "displeased"
Very well said! While in my experience so far, Apple is still well ahead, once you start having to go into tech mode and deal with enough issues, why not add a few more? Apple used to 'just work' at least well enough so as not to horribly distract from the task at hand. That's not the case so much any more. I've done more mucking with stupid problems in the last year on our household Apple stuff than in the last decade, maybe two. And, it's completely brain-dead stupid stuff too. Stuff that never would have left the Apple doors in the past.

And, yes, if Apple doesn't think it will make a difference when many thousands of Apple evangelists turn into Apple haters, well, they've also forgotten all they've learned on that front too. Fashion is fickle, Apple. If that's where you're going, best of luck!

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
I'm a tinkerer. I love/d the old slab-side Mac Pro. I know full well that they're never going to make a machine like that again for me, but that doesn't mean, that, for now, Apple's ecosystem isn't still the best. I have all kinds of computers, Wintel included, as well as some Android-based products. There are tradeoffs on all sides.
I'm a tinkerer too, but that isn't what I'm upset about. I'm fine with a sealed case product or something I can't tinker with... IF IT WORKS. And, for the most part, while I feel Apple could do better on the hardware front (i.e.: I'd love a semi-Mac Pro, kind of like a super-Mini), the problem is nearly 100% on the software front, and worse, Apple's disregard for what made them great, user experience. Once you lose that, it's all downhill... just a matter of time.

Originally Posted by DiabloConQueso View Post
A lot of these comments represent what happens when people pick their computer manufacturer in the same fashion they pick their football team...
No. You must be new to Apple?

None of us long-time Apple folks picked Apple that way at all. It's been a long, hard-fought battle, in which Apple earned our respect, and we worked hard to promote them in return (against tough odds of being misrepresented by the press, cheating of the other 'teams', and even, working hard to talk vendors into supporting the smaller percentage market, etc.). I've faced IT departments, trying to talk some sense into them (when THEY were picking daft Windows solutions more in line with your sports team analogy.... which, btw, they're starting to finally pay for).

We're ticked (justifiably) that Apple has let us down. But worse, we're faced with trying to, as Mike correctly highlighted, figure out where to go next.
( Last edited by Steve Wilkinson; Jan 31, 2016 at 10:15 PM. )
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2016, 05:20 PM

@Steve. Well put. I just got back from an interesting conversation with another computer-professional in my area (he has owned a small computer-repair shop for 20 years now, and has amazingly managed to out-last the big stores). He has an Apple Watch, so I asked him what he thought of it. To which he said "I think it needs a generation or two." But then he went on to say (and this is as close to an exact quote as I can remember) "But I think Apple as a whole has given-up everything that was great. I knew they would flounder a bit after Steve, but I never thought it would be as bad as this. I hope they bounce back." And it is exactly that basic sentiment that I hear, all the time, over and over and over again from Apple users and computer professionals. I don't think these issues with current Apple products are in-any-way minor. I think they represent a fundamental lack-of-understanding on the part of those now in charge about what made Apple great. It was a long road that took decades to perfect and just a few short years to destroy. Very sad.

edac2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2016, 11:13 PM

If you want the biggest bang for your buck, get an SSD. I have a Fall 2012 iMac that looks like the current 21.5-inch iMacs, but it doesn't have the newest model's 5K display. With each new release of OS X it seemed to get slower, until El Capitan made me think that maybe there was a plot by Apple to make users so fed up that they'd have to trade up. But the real culprit, I found, was the hard drive, not the older processor. So I bought an external 1TB Samsung SSD for about $350 that plugs into one of the USB ports in the back and wow! It's super fast now; not as fast if I had been able to swap out the internal drive, but that's no longer an affordable option. I feel like I just extended the life of my iMac at least another two years.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
Feb 9, 2016, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by panjandrum View Post
@Steve. Well put.
To which he said "I think it needs a generation or two." But then he went on to say (and this is as close to an exact quote as I can remember) "But I think Apple as a whole has given-up everything that was great. I knew they would flounder a bit after Steve, but I never thought it would be as bad as this. I hope they bounce back."
Exactly how I feel too. I knew Steve was really important in saying no and vision, but I was almost certain he'd built enough of his ways into Apple that they would never have taken such a sudden and drastic swing from core principals. Very sad for sure.

Originally Posted by edac2 View Post
If you want the biggest bang for your buck, get an SSD. ... So I bought an external 1TB Samsung SSD for about $350 that plugs into one of the USB ports in the back and wow! It's super fast now...
Yes, I've considered that, as my 2012 iMac is very much the slowest feeling Mac in our house/office, even though it has more overall computing power than the rest. But speed really isn't the issue most of the time, it's fiddling with silly stuff I never used to have to, or dealing with increasingly poor UI and software design. (A great example of the UI thing is how the tool bars have changed, going from icons that were easily recognizable, to flat-colored ones, to all black and white/gray, so that you can no longer nearly as quickly identify the correct button. Or, broken software like Disk Utility. While all can be dealt with, it's becoming a death of 1000 paper cuts on the UI front.) I'm actually thinking of starting a blog post series about 'Apple stupid UI tricks' or something like that.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules