Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple promises fix for iTunes bug that may cause deletions

Apple promises fix for iTunes bug that may cause deletions
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 13, 2016, 08:10 PM

Following claims from some customers that problems within either iTunes or the paid Apple Music service can -- in rare cases -- result in the deletion or substitution of local files in a user's music library, Apple has issued an official statement saying that while it has not been able to reproduce the issue, it will release an update to iTunes "early next week" that "includes additional safeguards," and added that is taking reports of problems seriously. MacNN conducted rigorous testing on this issue earlier this year.

Apple's statement reads as follows: "In an extremely small number of cases, users have reported that music files saved on their computer were removed without their permission. We're taking these reports seriously, as we know how important music is to our customers, and our teams are focused on identifying the cause. We have not been able to reproduce this issue, however, we're releasing an update to iTunes early next week which includes additional safeguards. If a user experiences this issue they should contact AppleCare."

Testing by both MacNN and iMore found that original music files were not deleted without user permission, but that tags on existing music files and "matched" files coming from Apple Music were, particularly in the early days of iTunes 12, often incorrect -- errors ranging from the live version of a song compared to a recorded version, or even just outright replacement of a different song. Apple issued a series of patches to correct the problems, and by version 12.3 the unintentional changing of music tags was all but gone.

While the Apple Music service (or occasionally iTunes Match) is blamed for this, the fault is more likely to be a bug in the iTunes database that must keep track of what is local, what is streamed, what songs are DRM-free (purchased or ripped songs) and what songs are available only to valid subscribers (songs kept for offline listening that will require authentication).

Apple's statement makes it clear that while the problem is not widespread -- and indeed, so rare that it has thus far been unable to reproduce it -- the company is not dismissive of the claims of some, and is investigating. Some observers, such as Six Colors' Jason Snell, believe that potentially confusing language about what happens when users delete a song from the master (Mac or PC) iTunes library and leave the iCloud Music Library reference in place may be part of the problem seen by some users.

btbeme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2016, 10:05 PM

I think that Jason Snell's theory above is sound - I experienced this myself. Two things:

1. The dialog box above does delete your original files unless you click cancel. This happens only when iTunes Match is turned on. If you turn iTunes Match off, then perform the exact same function (try to delete a song or songs from your library), then you get a different series of choices, including the choice to delete the entry from your library and the choice to delete of keep the original file (with the Keep Original File defaulted). The latter is much more familiar to iTunes users, having been around for 15 years. The former is new and does NOT clearly tell the user that their original file will be deleted.

2. Notwithstanding confusing language in the dialog box, I find it amazing that Apple would offer a one-click opportunity for someone to delete files that would otherwise be permanent. In virtually every other computer function I can think of, deleting a file takes an informed action and a verification (Move to Trash - Empty Trash, etc.). Sure - some hidden, power-user functions have the ability to one-stop kill a file, but this is a wholesale deletion of owned, permanent files akin to formatting a hard drive "by accident." It should not happen, not without clear warning and confirmation, and certainly not without a clear warning of the consequences.
Fully Recovered PC User

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2016, 08:57 AM

A simple fix would be for iTunes to never delete music files without a specific, per-tune authorization from users. Instead, it should always move them to a separate folder from which they could restored.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
May 15, 2016, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
A simple fix would be for iTunes to never delete music files without a specific, per-tune authorization from users. Instead, it should always move them to a separate folder from which they could restored.
Yea, IMO, this is yet another great example of Apple just throwing an app/feature together without really thinking of the big picture and/or thinking through the UI and doing a bit of testing of how a typical user might actually use the app.

Or, another example might be the new Photos and iCloud photo storage. What is their target market for that? It's so riddled with missing features and workflow oversights, it's not really meant for anything but the most simplistic tiny photo library. And, it's not just Apple... I'm *still* looking for a cloud-based photo storage solution. Nobody seems to understand a fairly basic workflow and set of user needs. It isn't just me, I've talked to a number of friends saying the same thing. But, this is the kind of thing the 'old' Apple used to think through, and make a great product around!

The 'new' Apple seems to be more like: throw it together... ship it... how much can we charge for that? Oh, users are complaining? Screw them... we've got billions in the bank (and the press will just say that you users with actual expectations aren't the target market anymore).
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 16, 2016, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson View Post
(and the press will just say that you users with actual expectations aren't the target market anymore).
I see what you did there.

Don't forget, we were the first ones to do any real testing on this last summer. Expectations of how things should be are one thing, and I've also complained about a lack of quality assurance.

Complaining that Apple isn't making products specifically aimed at old-timer users is another thing entirely.

Steve Wilkinson
Senior User
May 16, 2016, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
I see what you did there.

Don't forget, we were the first ones to do any real testing on this last summer. Expectations of how things should be are one thing, and I've also complained about a lack of quality assurance.

Complaining that Apple isn't making products specifically aimed at old-timer users is another thing entirely.
Heh, that wasn't aimed at *you*, (maybe some of your cohorts).

But, I've been noticing that attitude more prevalent everywhere (press in general, this and other forums, etc.). It's like a cross between fanboy and seeing Apple's success (right now!) as some kind of indicator that they must be doing most everything right.

As for old-timers, I can understand if Apple is truly shifting away from a certain market segment (as much of a mistake as I see that as), but I'm starting to wonder if along with the shift from 'pro' to 'average consumer' has some a shift from pro-quality to average-consumer-quality too. If that's the case, that's not good, as even we consumers are getting sick of the microwave that breaks 2 months after the warranty is up.

Again, I attribute a lot of Apple's success to innovations they made in terms of UX, which lead to a notable productivity gap, and top brand recognition. That, though, is an easy thing to lose. And, IMO, Apple is losing it rapidly, even if it hasn't yet reflected in the quarterly profits.
------
Steve Wilkinson
Web designer | Christian apologist
cgWerks | TilledSoil.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules