Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best cheese for burgers (also mac n cheese)

Best cheese for burgers (also mac n cheese)
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2018, 12:41 PM

While often superb Cheddar works less than well on a nice burger. After some experimentation I have descended on Gouda as the ideal cheese for a burger. Melts just right. The subtle bite goes well with the meat.

Anyone feel different?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2018, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Anyone feel different?
Not me. Gouda is the correct answer.

Ham Sandwich
Apr 16, 2018, 12:53 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:47 AM. )

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
The cheese skirt*

*AsSeenOnTV
erk!

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2018, 01:05 PM

Gouda or Brie.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2018, 01:48 PM

I should add, though. A really good burger is best with no cheese or condiments.

andi*pandi
Apr 16, 2018, 03:19 PM

I like cheddar. Don't think I've tried gouda on a burger. Blue cheese isn't bad, buffalo style. American is the default and usually just fine. (note: american does not mean kraft singles cheese-type product).

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2018, 05:07 PM

Cheddar can be anything from bland plastic rubbish to good and strong. Gouda goes from young, rubbery and mild to old, dryer and quite potent. What are we talking about here?
I do like a blue cheese, something powerful. Bland cheese is pointless on a burger IMO. I can see a decent Manchego working well. Never tried it.
I still have a plan to put a miniature Camembert in a donut shaped burger. The Camemburger.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2018, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Gouda goes from young, rubbery and mild to old, dryer and quite potent. What are we talking about here?
Seven years old.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2018, 03:00 AM

Nice
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2018, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I still have a plan to put a miniature Camembert in a donut shaped burger. The Camemburger.
win!!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2018, 02:20 PM

Velveeta?
45/47

andi*pandi
Apr 17, 2018, 02:24 PM

too melty!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 17, 2018, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Velveeta?
My parents dropped off a vegetable dish they made after we had our baby. My mom included the recipe on top so I'd know how long to cook it for. The entire recipe was:

- A box of Velveeta
- Several hunks of margarine
- A bag of frozen vegetables
- Bread crumbs on top

I cooked it, took a single bite, and tossed it in the garbage. It was...bad.
( Last edited by Laminar; Apr 17, 2018 at 04:12 PM. )

andi*pandi
Apr 17, 2018, 02:55 PM

she probably made it because it was your favorite when you were 8.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Velveeta?
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
My parents dropped off a vegetable dish they made after we had our baby. My mom included the recipe on top so I'd know how long to cook it for. The entire recipe was:

- A box of Velveeta
- Several hunks of margerine
- Bread crumbs on top

My sister was the manager of the boulangerie/deli at AJ’s Fine Foods in Scottsdale. It’s the type of grocer that has no prices. I commented that did not see any Velveeta. Her response was something like puhleeeese.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 17, 2018, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
she probably made it because it was your favorite when you were 8.
I don't remember eating anything that fancy growing up. I do know for sure that it was a from a church cookbook via someone named Ethel or Margaret.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2018, 03:52 PM

- A box of Velveeta
- Several hunks of margerine
- Bread crumbs on top

Sounds like a Vegetable Cheese Casserole/Bake ...

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...ul-veggie-bake

Simple AF to make. But only worth it if you really like a whole lot of melted cheese all over your veggies.

OAW

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2018, 04:13 PM

Love cheese on my veggies. Not so much soaked in Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product and hydrogenated vegetable oil.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2018, 04:29 PM

Love cheese on my veggies. Not so much soaked in Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product and hydrogenated vegetable oil.
Yeah. Velveeta's saving grace is that it melts easily and evenly compared to cheddar. But it's certainly not real cheese.

OAW

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2018, 04:29 PM

I saw a History Channel episode on cheese. JL Kraft submitted a patent on the process. The other cheese makes wanted it called embalmed cheese.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2018, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Yeah. Velveeta's saving grace is that it melts easily and evenly compared to cheddar. But it's certainly not real cheese.

OAW
I admit making a roux is a little more involved than just microwaving some Velveeta, but we make a KILLER mac and cheese with a roux that's really simple - 2T butter, melted, 2T flour, stirred into the butter for 30 seconds, then 1C milk and 1C chicken broth slowly poured into the skillet. Let it thicken a couple minutes, stir in 2C of shredded cheddar and bam, insane cheese sauce. Stir in some chopped bacon, roasted corn, and macaroni noodles and it's heaven.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2018, 04:55 PM

I admit making a roux is a little more involved than just microwaving some Velveeta, but we make a KILLER mac and cheese with a roux that's really simple - 2T butter, melted, 2T flour, stirred into the butter for 30 seconds, then 1C milk and 1C chicken broth slowly poured into the skillet. Let it thicken a couple minutes, stir in 2C of shredded cheddar and bam, insane cheese sauce. Stir in some chopped bacon, roasted corn, and macaroni noodles and it's heaven.
That's a good approach for a roux based Mac & Cheese. I make it two ways. My "stove top" Mac & Cheese I make essentially like that. I just vary up the cheese between cheddar, Italian blend, and/or gouda depending upon my mood. But for my "baked" Mac & Cheese I use a combination of Italian blend and Velveeta. I might try to roux based cheese and bake it in the oven to see how that turns out one of these days. I know shredded cheddar just didn't cut it for me.

OAW

andi*pandi
Apr 17, 2018, 05:10 PM

they both sound very good!

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2018, 05:35 PM

My recipe is

Butter, flour, stir, add a small amount of milk, stir until creamy. Small teaspoon of mustard, more milk, grated cheddar and crumble in some blue cheese, just enough to pick it up a bit.

mindwaves
Apr 17, 2018, 06:32 PM

Don't see the Western affection to cheese. I only use it on my sandwiches, hamburgers, pizzas, and pretty much nothing else.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2018, 06:34 AM

Either you're eating exclusively poor quality cheese or you should get your tastebuds checked by a doctor.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2018, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
That's a good approach for a roux based Mac & Cheese. I make it two ways. My "stove top" Mac & Cheese I make essentially like that. I just vary up the cheese between cheddar, Italian blend, and/or gouda depending upon my mood. But for my "baked" Mac & Cheese I use a combination of Italian blend and Velveeta. I might try to roux based cheese and bake it in the oven to see how that turns out one of these days. I know shredded cheddar just didn't cut it for me.

OAW
Here's another recipe we really like - buffalo chicken mac and cheese. Baked, but with a roux, blue cheese adds a nice bite. Uses only 2T of butter and Greek yogurt so the calorie count isn't quite so astronomical.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2018, 01:44 PM

^^^^

OAW

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2018, 12:36 PM

For cheese sauces I discovered xanthan gum and never looked back.

My cousin makes mac and cheese with velveeta, bacon, and butter. One bite will fill you up for DAYS.
( Last edited by Brien; Apr 20, 2018 at 12:58 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2018, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
xanth
This gave me a pervy, young adult fiction flashback.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 22, 2018, 01:12 PM

Gouda is fine, but to me, the cheese used depends on other things, like what you're having with the burger. I had a burger at Appleby's yesterday that came with American cheese... and it worked, in part because the patty wasn't formed and processed, but hand-made. The thin-sliced bacon didn't hurt, either.

I've enjoyed havarti at times, or a Monterey Jack, depending on the side dishes. With corn chips and salsa, a stronger flavor, like a really sharp cheddar is better, while with really good fries a milder cheese - gouda or havarti - is better. For me, of course.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2018, 09:50 AM

Okay, so how about burger sauces? Here's what I like making, and it's super good with fries too.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...er-recipe.html

Sauce Ingredients
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
4 slices kosher dill pickle
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Pinch cayenne pepper

Forum Links
Forum Rules